Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of pure curiosity...has anyone used a leaf blower to blow air directly into the ram air duct while on the dyno? Not those Kmart ones but a comercial high power one. My dad has two, high power comercial ones and was thinking this is really the only way to get a true street tune b/c it will be like simulating ram air. As opposed to being on the dyno getting a re-map with no air being pushed into the duct. Seems like it will work....anyone wanna tell me why it wouldnt? :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
well in my experience the bike increases the fuel and advances the timing in the upper gears to compensate for the ram air effect.
I don't think tht with a leaf blower you can recreate the exact cinditions nessasary for the ram air to work as it would going down the road.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I don't think it will create unough pressure to re create the ram air effect. You could try it and run with it and without it and let us know of any differences.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I've thought about this, but you'd have to have a way of monitoring how fast the leaf blower is uhm...blowing air. See if you max it out and it's putting out a 150 mph wind.. well thats not acurate if the bike is in first second or third gear. So you would need some way of matching the speed of the wind blower with the speed of the bike, per gear. Or I guess you could just tune it for flat out top speed with wind blower at max and bike in 6th gear near redline

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
try it at the top of the 3rd gear. should be interesting. I had somebody tell me that they did this and it gained another 10hp.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1killer1liter said:
try it at the top of the 3rd gear. should be interesting. I had somebody tell me that they did this and it gained another 10hp.
I will and I dont see why it wouldnt add power....I mean its either NONE sitting on the dyno OR SOME by a leaf blower.....some air HAS GOT TO BE better than none, right?? LOL

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dawson-ZX said:
:lol: Hmm this makes me think even more. It would stand to reason that given most modern cars and FI bikes have MAF sensors/meters on them the ECU will add more fuel depending on the amount of air the MAF sees. So yes hooking a leaf blower up to a bike on a dyno should give you more HP. Just like the bike will make more power in a real world enviroment, than it would sitting stationary on a dyno with no air flow, because The MAF is doing the same thing it would do with a leaf blower. Measuring the air going in, and the ecu is compensating the FI to match. Only thing a leaf blower would do for you now is allow you to print off the HP on a Dyno graph. :crackup:

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
If it does help- then they should make a fan to run off of the drum speed of the dyno and blow into ram air at variable and accurate speeds.

Usually the fans are set to blow some air over the motor for cooling.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
zx-7rking said:
:lol: Hmm this makes me think even more. It would stand to reason that given most modern cars and FI bikes have MAF sensors/meters on them the ECU will add more fuel depending on the amount of air the MAF sees.
Our bikes do not have a MAF sensor. Only air temp in the air box.

According to Ivan, the ten adds fuel according to speed.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I dyno my bike in 3rd.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Really.??.. I cant believe Kawi cheaped out on us and went with a MAP instead of MAF. :headshake Well if thats the case then An acurate Program for the Air flow is most definately needed. MAP's are good up to a certain point. But MAF's are by far the better way to run a EFI on an Engine

miykl said:
Our bikes do not have a MAF sensor. Only air temp in the air box.

According to Ivan, the ten adds fuel according to speed.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
zx-7rking said:
Really.??.. I cant believe Kawi cheaped out on us and went with a MAP instead of MAF. :headshake Well if thats the case then An acurate Program for the Air flow is most definately needed. MAP's are good up to a certain point. But MAF's are by far the better way to run a EFI on an Engine
No MAP either. To my knowlege there is only air temp (inside air box) and a atmospheric pressure (external to the air box).

·
Registered
484 Posts
I strapped my father in law in front the ram air.He farts like nobody else.I should get a couple of Hp for that.LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts