Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello ahoy crew members i have a question for my zx10r cousins........Does anyone know if the display is run of the CDI, ECU, COMPUTER, I Have bought a loom, spocket cover with sensor and sprocket nut, need a display, but am not going any further until i get more info, Anyone got access to any zx6r/10r or z750/1000 tech info, i am so close to finding out if the display unit is semi or fully independant of the ECU for it to work, or doesnt need it at all, i can say it looks like it can be run with the right stuff on another motorcycle like my zx7/9rr.....???

The only info i have been able to gather is wiring colours and what they are for i need more indepth information, i can tell by the manual that is runs on the bench with no ecu, but it remembers its last two starts and displays them to you for tests

bk=black bl=blue br=brown ch=chocolate dg=dark green g=green gy=grey lb=light blue lg=light green o=orange p=pink pu=purple r=red w=white y=yellow

(-) = negative (+) = positive (/) = used to split, before / main colour wire after stripe colour on wire.

br/w= ignition bk/lb=fuel reserve switch w/bk=stop watch+ w/r lap time+ lg=nutral led- br/r=rev light led- lb=tacho pulse bl/w=water temp sensor bk/y=(-)(earth) w/y=(+)(live) bl/r=oil warning led(-) p=speed sensor supply voltage gy=right turn led(+) g=left turn led(+) r/bk=high beam led y=speed sensor pulse

Only two wires go to the ecu:- lb=tacho pulse, br/r=rev light(-), it looks good!! I now need to find out if the tacho pulses the same as my zx9r ecu pulse anyone know what the zx10r pulse is? if not what would i need to do to change the frequency if i do find out what the pulse is, Im chasing this as i think it will work, i wont give up!! I have ray stringer UK kawasaki wiz (sadly on engines) willing to cut and rework the wires but i have to do the home work and bring him all the information i have, so can anyone help me on this site?? I figured if i need zx10r help then a zx10r post would be better posted on here!! I intend to put a zx10r engine in place of my 9r lump but too expensive at the minute so 2 years or so on this project. I will buy a zx10r but for the time being i have a slight obsession to finish what i started. The zx10r forks yokes went straight, the wheel from a zx6r went in to save the 3 spoke theme as zx6's have 300mm discs, its nearly finished i hope i have posted enough info so you can see i am in genuine need of all the information you are willing to find or share with me, i know i have the wrong bike for this site but it does have a zx10r front end on it!!

Best Regards,

Steve.
[email protected]

·
Still here
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay this is my zx7/9rr, the MSS Discovery race zx10r here will be the colour pattern of my bike but it will be black red and white instead if green.......hope you enjoy because it looks differant again now these were taken early this year, and when i parked it up for winter it went to the engineers for another few bits zx10r front end (which is in now, with a zx6rr wheel to keep the front and back matching three spoke, the zx6rr has 300mm discs) and a cbr1000rr race seat unit sorry but its the nicest race seat even though i love kawasaki's race seats honda got this right!! Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
The display is totally dependant on the ECU, but you can run the bike without a display no problem. So unless you have a ZX10R engine and other parts stay away from the 10 display, and when you think about it why would you want that display anyway:dontknow:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i have a manual that may suggest it will run without the ecu, i have a wiring diagram and 2 wires run to the ecu from the display tacho (revs) and fi or shift up light, i may be wrong but i think after looking at the wiring it has a good chance, but i am open to suggestions and i am by far an expert, and will listen, why do you think its dependant on the ecu? the wiring doesnt suggest that? A guy who does milage corrections i.e back to 0 miles said it will work but you need to convert the signals from the ecu?? Then he went quiet when i asked if he wanted to cut my loom and do the job!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i dont know why i want the zx10r display, like you are thinking there are more attractive displays, but this is a experiment and i have got that into it that i suppose i think im near to having all the answers i need, so suppose its the homework ive done on it thats making me put this display on!! Then i can share it with everyone else who would like to do the modification to there bike, summat like that anyway

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
zx7/9rr said:
Well i have a manual that may suggest it will run without the ecu, i have a wiring diagram and 2 wires run to the ecu from the display tacho (revs) and fi or shift up light, i may be wrong but i think after looking at the wiring it has a good chance, but i am open to suggestions and i am by far an expert, and will listen, why do you think its dependant on the ecu? the wiring doesnt suggest that? A guy who does milage corrections i.e back to 0 miles said it will work but you need to convert the signals from the ecu?? Then he went quiet when i asked if he wanted to cut my loom and do the job!!
Maybe I'm not getting what your trying to do. I can tell you that I have run the bike without a display(even drag raced without it). What manual do you have? What ZX10R parts are you exactly installing, I mean all of them....put it in a list. I know the wiring diagram pretty good as I did a custom modification tapping out of ECU wires for an Analog guage setup I run along with the OEM Display unit.

Remember no Analog tach for the 10 display, not that it's not attractive but it has been labeled as the worse display by mags and owners for that reason alone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a full loom which will be cut for the purpose of the installing the wires i need to my zx7r loom, i have a zx10r manual on cd rom which tells you how to test the display unit on the bench with a multi meter and a 12v battery, i have a sprocket cover with sensor and i have a sprocket nut and lock washer, i want to get the speedo, tacho oil led, turn led's, high beam led i need water temp it looks so simple only kawasaki wont tell me what the wires do entering and exiting the ecu!!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
zx7/9rr said:
I have a full loom which will be cut for the purpose of the installing the wires i need to my zx7r loom, i have a zx10r manual on cd rom which tells you how to test the display unit on the bench with a multi meter and a 12v battery, i have a sprocket cover with sensor and i have a sprocket nut and lock washer, i want to get the speedo, tacho oil led, turn led's, high beam led i need water temp it looks so simple only kawasaki wont tell me what the wires do entering and exiting the ecu!!
Without me looking at the wiring diagram extensively which I don't think I need too because you seem like you know how to do that yourself and found that the manual does not give you all the info, then I'm not sure I can help especially if Kawi wont help. Unless you have an oscilloscope and an extra ZX10R to evaluate the signals,then I wouldn't mess with the 10 display at all to interface with your bike. Sorry, hope I'm wrong but sounds like you getting ready to get over your head on this one. :badteeth:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts