Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last season was my first time at the strip. My best run was a 10.75 with a 1.95 60ft and a 7.14 1/8. I was pretty inconsistant all day with my launchs. This is when i first got my zx10 and was a little worried about launching too hard. Any tips on rpm's, tire pressures etc. I got a pirelli diablo with power commander and exhaust and will be lowering the bike this season. Any help appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Ya strap the front & it shouldn't wheelie so easy off the line. That was my problem! I couldn't even get my 60ft under 2 sec's lol. Just have half a tank of fuel and get your timing down so your not waiting for the light to turn green before you leave, u wanna be leaving on the green. Shift without the clutch & just practice. My best was a 10.6 but there is a lot of racers here so u should get lots of tips.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Strap it and work on getting the throttle all the way open as soon as possible. As soon as Kenny sees this he will tell you Seat Time, Seat Time, Seat Time.:crackup: And He will be right.:thumbsup:
:crackup: Dang, you know me pretty good:thumbsup:

Fo'sho on the strap and SEAT TIME!!!! You also don't have to worry about the tree when your Test & Tuning, it has nothing to do with your ET.

You need to know what rpm your leaving at so pull your pre-stage bulb, set your rpm's and hold them there. Now pull the stage bulb while still holding those same rpm's. Start with 5500 launch rpm and if it bogs raise the rpm by 500, do this until the bog goes away and it wants to wheelie and backoff 250rpm. :thumbsup: Launching on SWB takes lots and lots of practice, :idea: shit I'm still learning. Good luck and keep us updated!!!:helmet:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

Fo'sho on the strap and SEAT TIME!!!! You also don't have to worry about the tree when your Test & Tuning, it has nothing to do with your ET.

You need to know what rpm your leaving at so pull your pre-stage bulb, set your rpm's and hold them there. Now pull the stage bulb while still holding those same rpm's. Start with 5500 launch rpm and if it bogs raise the rpm by 500, do this until the bog goes away and it wants to wheelie and backoff 250rpm. :thumbsup: Launching on SWB takes lots and lots of practice, :idea: shit I'm still learning. Good luck and keep us updated!!!:helmet:
:+1:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have not lowered the rear yet but I strap the front and leave about 5,000-6,000 rpms. Slip the clutch alittle. Don't drop the clutch or you will see nothing but blue for the first second or two then it may turn black and hurt alot. Some guys will reverse the shifter. Lock the throttle on OH $hit and shift as fast as you can before hitting the rev limiter. I bought my bike last May and I am still getting to know her but with seat time I have went from a 7.0 to a 6.5 1/8 in just few trips to the strip. I run a 10.3 @ 141 at Bristol before being thrown off the track for not having full leathers. With a few more passes I should have been running a 10 flat or better.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Last year was my forst year dragging my 10 as well. I had the brilliant idea of leaving the bike completely stock to learn on I.E., no straps etc. I thought that this would allow me to focus on ME, and work out the kinks. I think that was a bad idea in retrospect, and spent more time overthinking and focusing on the wrong things. My times were pretty close to yours and my last trip out resulted in a 100 MPH tankslapper that MAY have not happened if I had spent the time on proper set up. THAT is my winter project. Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all great tips! My best reaction time was .54 but alot around .7 or .8.I bought lowering links the other day and will be getting a strap. I also have a damper. Had a few tank slappers before and im not a fan :lol:

What rpm should u be shifting at and what gear are you usually in at the end of the quarter? And what about tire pressure? The groove at the track here is pretty freakin sticky.Should i run in the groove or just outside?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yep, seat time. Ive been down to 10.32 at 144. same thing, a little inconsistent, sometimes wheelie, sometiems spin, worry about getting my feet up to soon, blah blah blah. I ahvent strapped the front and probably wont, i know it helps but i kinda enjoy the off the street aspect of it all. the 10 being a beast works against when it come to launching but the last 1000 feet are really fun

·
Registered
2,524 Posts

damn man if your still learning, id love to be as good as you are now, i mean your already a champion :notworthy

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Does anyone get slappers on the track with a damper?

I still run stock tires and prolly will the rest of the summer since there's only 1400 miles on the bike. Do you suggest still burning out to heat up the rear? How low should you lower the tire pressure front and rear when dragging?

I have a front end strap that I will put on but no rear lowering link. I think I will get one since you can lower it then put it back to stock with the same rear lowering links that I've seen.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Some good advice in this thread thanks,
I'm headed to the track to practice my launches for race starts
:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Does anyone get slappers on the track with a damper?

I still run stock tires and prolly will the rest of the summer since there's only 1400 miles on the bike. Do you suggest still burning out to heat up the rear? How low should you lower the tire pressure front and rear when dragging?

I have a front end strap that I will put on but no rear lowering link. I think I will get one since you can lower it then put it back to stock with the same rear lowering links that I've seen.
I HAVE gotten a tankslapper with a damper BUT it wasn't the fault of the damper...it was me. I had it (it being a Hyperpro) set waaaay soft. I am pretty confident that had I set the dampening harder..it probably wouldn't have happened. The pros here may know better than me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K so ive done some gearing and removed the secondaries and got a full system with proper map now and i should be off to the track on Saturday for the first time this year so hopefully good weather is a comin and i will update soon.Thanks for all the advice :thumbsup:
Also will be lowered and strapped for the track.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts