Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna see what 1/4 mile time i can run. Im down 2" in the rear. I weigh 140 lbs. Im just checking for different launching styles etc.. looking for pointers.. even though plenty of practice is probably best.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Check tire temp. also. Cold tires are scary. I launch at about 4k rpm. But I'm still learning also. I'm strapped in the front.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Put your legs back like they are wheelie bars. Get the rpm up to about 4k. Feather the clutch out, and try to keep the front tire about 2 - 3 inches off the ground. That's what I'm shooting for at least. Everybody is different and has different styles. Ryan Schnitz is the best person to tell you.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
First try leaving like you would from a stop light. Once you ge the feel than try 5-6 thousand rpm and slip the clutch. DON'T DUMP THE CLUTCH!!! You will have to modulate the throttle a little to keep the wheel down but you will ge the hang of it. Try launching from different rpm ranges but be carefull not to smoke the clutch.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
No I have only been to MIR so far.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hahaha, thanks for the vote of confidence.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I launched next to a cbr 600. We were even for about 100 ft., well of course it was all over after that but still. I was at 5k rpm feathered the clutch but with the tall first gear it just has nothing there til you get some rpms climbing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
maze said:
First try leaving like you would from a stop light. Once you ge the feel than try 5-6 thousand rpm and slip the clutch. DON'T DUMP THE CLUTCH!!! You will have to modulate the throttle a little to keep the wheel down but you will ge the hang of it. Try launching from different rpm ranges but be carefull not to smoke the clutch.
Maze at the track the other night The bike just feels like it is bogging when I come off the clutch.Which it was the first time I have ever had it on the track.I tried launching at different rpms but everytime it would drop rpm and then it would take off.I believe I have to work on letting the clutch out better or something.All I could get was like 2.0 2.1 60 fts.It was a sad night.I was embarresed on a 10r running 7.5 at 110mph.First time out it is deffinately different than the street.I can run my freind on his gixxer 1000 on the street and tear him up but at the track he was turning 6.9.But his mph was only 106mph.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Put a 16t front sprocket on. That will help.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok fellers, I just got back from the sunshine drag strip in clearwater fl. I ran 8 times, the last run i switched lanes and got my best time. Oh yea baby, a 6.80 with a 188 60ft... I was proud. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've been getting 1.74's with the stock gearing and am still shooting for 1.60's. Dropping the gearing will help with the bogging but I was just raising the launch RPM's with stock gearing (leaving around 6K) and I believe that next time I go back I'll go higher. My personal best is a [email protected] with a 6.68 (1/8)@114.6 I'm lowered in the rear I think 3'' and the front is strapped.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrzw70 said:
I've been getting 1.74's with the stock gearing and am still shooting for 1.60's. Dropping the gearing will help with the bogging but I was just raising the launch RPM's with stock gearing (leaving around 6K) and I believe that next time I go back I'll go higher. My personal best is a [email protected] with a 6.68 (1/8)@114.6 I'm lowered in the rear I think 3'' and the front is strapped.
Dam man you busted my bubble. Well it was my first time ever running at a track. Im lowered 2" in the rear with stock front height. Im going to the 1/4 mile track in about a month, cant wait to try my luck there. Dam it was fun... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Your gonna burn the clutch up drag racing with the stock 17T, Trust me (Im on my 5th clutch). I drag race Quite a bit though. If you like drag racing buy a 15T, there easy to switch out so you can pretty much switch it back to stock anytime you want. leave about 3 Grand with the 15T, Full throttle and work the clutch.

My best to date is a 6.19 @ 118 on a 1.57 60' with nothing more than a 15T. The rest of my bike is completely stock. I have not been to the 1/4 mile in a while, my last trip out it went 9.68 @ 144 on I think it was a 1.64 60' it was a 6.36 1/8 mile, so with the 6.19 it should go 9.4??? maybe.

Takes alot of practice, just when you think you have gone as fast as you can with your set-up you will surprise yourself.You weigh the same as me (140) so you are way capable of the same times. Get the 15T and it's all over for anyone in the lane next to you, Gixxer 1000's are my favorite victims. Can't wait to drag me an 05. Good luck man!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GARSZX10R said:
Your gonna burn the clutch up drag racing with the stock 17T, Trust me (Im on my 5th clutch). I drag race Quite a bit though. If you like drag racing buy a 15T, there easy to switch out so you can pretty much switch it back to stock anytime you want. leave about 3 Grand with the 15T, Full throttle and work the clutch.

My best to date is a 6.19 @ 118 on a 1.57 60' with nothing more than a 15T. The rest of my bike is completely stock. I have not been to the 1/4 mile in a while, my last trip out it went 9.68 @ 144 on I think it was a 1.64 60' it was a 6.36 1/8 mile, so with the 6.19 it should go 9.4??? maybe.

Takes alot of practice, just when you think you have gone as fast as you can with your set-up you will surprise yourself.You weigh the same as me (140) so you are way capable of the same times. Get the 15T and it's all over for anyone in the lane next to you, Gixxer 1000's are my favorite victims. Can't wait to drag me an 05. Good luck man!
Right on man. I like those numbers.. Have you tried the 1/4 with a 16T sprocket? I was wondering if that would be better than a 15T? Ireally want to bust some low 1/4 numbers. Im looking for some help. I dont wanna stretch her though. Just drop her a little. I ordered my muzzy head gasket today too. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bobster said:
Right on man. I like those numbers.. Have you tried the 1/4 with a 16T sprocket? I was wondering if that would be better than a 15T? Ireally want to bust some low 1/4 numbers. Im looking for some help. I dont wanna stretch her though. Just drop her a little. I ordered my muzzy head gasket today too. :mrgreen:
No, It's all in the launch, the quicker you get out of the hole and off the clutch the faster it's gonna go. I just won't trust anything but the 15T for the track. On the bright side, the clutch is very simple to replace, even if your not the most Mechanically inclined person out there. About 30-45 minutes start to finish.

I posted my slips somewhere on here a while back, I will look for them.

here you go.
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5383

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I cant wait to bust up some of those r1s and gixxers. Their were some out last night but of course they are stretched and lowered so they get a dam good hole shot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts