Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the track and the bike was bogging bad.(17t) I changed to a 16t and have not went back.I am probably coming off the clutch to slow.Just looking for some help from some of you drag racers.Thanx What kind of rpms should I come out at?The bike is not stretched.I got dogbones on the back to lower it.The rest of the bike is stock with the converter gutted.All launching techniqes appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
You might be able to leave at 4000-5000 rpms. I don't know how it will respond without a front end strap. I leave at 8000 rpms. I have 2" dogbones and a strap up front. What were your 60' times before the 16t? When you're staging, when you see the pre-stage lights bring your rpm up. Put your left foot on the peg. Roll into the staging lights. If they have you on a pro tree, leave as soon as you see the yellows. If they are running a regular tree, leave on the 3rd yellow. Don't worry, you won't red light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,682 Posts
get the front temp lowering brackets and a stering dampner. the lowering strap will help hold her down and the dampner will eliminate the head shake that you will now have from haveing the front end straining. DONT FLIP HER!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,682 Posts
1killer1liter said:
You might be able to leave at 4000-5000 rpms. I don't know how it will respond without a front end strap. I leave at 8000 rpms. I have 2" dogbones and a strap up front. What were your 60' times before the 16t? When you're staging, when you see the pre-stage lights bring your rpm up. Put your left foot on the peg. Roll into the staging lights. If they have you on a pro tree, leave as soon as you see the yellows. If they are running a regular tree, leave on the 3rd yellow. Don't worry, you won't red light.
TRUST THIS POST it is accurate!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
with the bike lowered it is alot more stable. I haven't noticed any headshake with it lowered. Don't worry about the damper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 60 ft sucks.2.0 and 2.1 anything under 5 it bogs.My freind told me to launch like you said around 8000.My time was like 7.5 at 110mph.I believe most of my problem is coming off the clutch to slow.I did disconnect my exhaust valve.That should help I guess.The bike does not even try to come off the ground so I know I am launching way to easy.Thanx for the tips.I am just going to keep practicing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
Try leaving at 6000. You shouldn't be bogging if you're letting the clutch out slowly. Your 60' says you're letting the clutch out slowly. You might be able to get away with 7000 because you're lowered in the rear. All I can say is race people that are better than you. That's what I did. Now I'm beating them. Just takes alot of practice, patience and trial & error. Learn from your mistakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
sabersaw30 said:
The bike does not even try to come off the ground so I know I am launching way to easy.
This is why we haven't discussed flipping. I think he is aware of the possibility.
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
I rev that beast up to 8-9 grand and slip that clutch out....im no pro drag racer either though...

If thats your thing though, you need to strap the front down!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
hey, was going to head to track, but got busy doing other things.....Launch it at 9-10krpm...ride out clutch a bit, that's how i got the 1.51 and 1.60 60ft times when you saw me a month ago on stock suspension and stock swingarm, not even strapped or lowered. If I launched anything below 8k it just bogged once i got the clutch out all the way. Of course this was with the stock sprocket.....you have to ride the clutch out since the gear is so tall. With the 16t, you won't have to slip it quite as bad, and might not have to leave quite as high a rpm on the launch....I would still say 8-10krpm would do it. 1.8 60ft isn't too bad for still learning....You just have to keep hot lapping it, not good for best et and mph since it will get hot, but as far as getting used to launching.....nothing beats repeating it time and time again. Don't even worry about who's in the other lane, you are racing yourself. I plan on heading back to jax next week, really want to hit Gville and see what she does in the 1/4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
My 60' times are right around 1.8-1.9. I want them in the 1.7-1.5 range. I just keep practicing. You'll get it after a few times of doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
syclone01 said:
hey, was going to head to track, but got busy doing other things.....Launch it at 9-10krpm...ride out clutch a bit, that's how i got the 1.51 and 1.60 60ft times when you saw me a month ago on stock suspension and stock swingarm, not even strapped or lowered. If I launched anything below 8k it just bogged once i got the clutch out all the way. Of course this was with the stock sprocket.....you have to ride the clutch out since the gear is so tall. With the 16t, you won't have to slip it quite as bad, and might not have to leave quite as high a rpm on the launch....I would still say 8-10krpm would do it. 1.8 60ft isn't too bad for still learning....You just have to keep hot lapping it, not good for best et and mph since it will get hot, but as far as getting used to launching.....nothing beats repeating it time and time again. Don't even worry about who's in the other lane, you are racing yourself. I plan on heading back to jax next week, really want to hit Gville and see what she does in the 1/4.
1.51 and 1.60 with a stock sprocket? Thats amazing!!! The best ive got from a 16T was 1.67....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
Very nice bobster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
get a 15t front much better.launch around 3-3.5k and hold on tight!

best so far with that setup is 1.62 60' 6.41et 114.5mph :zx_green:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
FLEA said:
get a 15t front much better.launch around 3-3.5k and hold on tight!

best so far with that setup is 1.62 60' 6.41et 114.5mph :zx_green:
Very nice Flea... I tried my 15T last week at BMP and i really sucked. Honestly, my bike didnt seem to be putting down the power for some reason. I dont know why either. Sometimes it just dont run as strong as other times. Which i really dont understand. But anyway, nice times... :thumbsup: ps...i havent seen you down there lately...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
No leathers yet. I know what you might be feeling is the gear my stock bike doesn't feel as strog in the higher rpm. but down low is a differnt story, going to shop for some pants in tampa on saturday. ill be seeing you soon at bmp got to get my 1/4mi fix very soon:deathmeta
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top