Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off I think it's kind of retarded you need a lanyard for street legals considering there's a tip over switch but anyway. I have no room. I can probably get away without it next time as I haven't brought the 10R to the strip yet and I got a warning the last time.

I wanted this

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5148894&showprevnext=1#

but it wont bolt on to anything I have, nothing on the bars other than the switches are stock. Any ideas guys? Pics to help me out.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,543 Posts
Get a lanyard with a screw terminal at the end. Then use a self tapping screw to attach it to your existing kill switch. You screw it to the bottom "run" position so if you come off the bike, the lanyard pulls the switch to the kill position. Cheap and easy and I've done it before with good luck. When not in use, just loop the lanyard over the clip-on.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
This only works depending on how strict their tech guys are with motorcycles....in the past I've just bought a keychain coil cord and velcro'd it to my kill switch. It was good enough for them...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
874 Posts
How about the Orient Express one. I have that one and its great and it replaces the clamshell half of the master cylinder clamp so you dont need any extra space.

·
Registered
874 Posts
How about the Orient Express one. I have that one and its great and it replaces the clamshell half of the master cylinder clamp so you dont need any extra space.
Actually now that I look closer so does the one you listed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
^^^yes that one ^^^ PMR makes them, I have the one like JLG0987's but I ground mine to fit.

another alternative Isee on a lot of bikes is just put some bubble gum on a shoe string so it will look like sheet!

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
http://www.orientexpress.com/p-14470-orient-express-ignition-kill-with-tether-onoff-switch-cnc-machined-billet-aluminum78-bar-.aspx

this is the other option. those are supposed to mount to your Master Cylinder. Lookin at the pics you posted, I want to clarify, what prevents you from mounting to there? You unbolt the clamp that holds all the wiring and tether for the switch in place of the clamp you already have. I just cant tell why you wouldnt be able to, so insight would be great?

For mine, Ill get you a pic later, but I have the stock forks on my Gen 1 an have one of the "older" style that is supposed to loop around the bar and is all contained to itself. Instead, I just mounted it to the top of the fork around the preload adjuster and it stays put. Unfortunately, thats no help in your situation.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
I see it now. Can you rotate the throttle housing at all? or would that mess something up or hit something?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
set to WOT and forget about it?

Honestly I have no ideas for you anymore...you could get a clamp made to fit the offset of the brembo M/C as a last option?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Get a universal kill switch tether for a snowmobile/ATV/dirt bike and make a small bracket to mount it to the triple clamp. Costs like $20.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the ones that mount the to MC, I'm assuming they would also mount to the clutch perch correct? I can always swap the stock perch on for the strip. Are there any major concerns with running a lanyard on the clutch side?

·
Registered
874 Posts
the ones that mount the to MC, I'm assuming they would also mount to the clutch perch correct? I can always swap the stock perch on for the strip. Are there any major concerns with running a lanyard on the clutch side?
I was actually thinking the same thing for you, just didn't get around to getting on here to say it. The only issue I would see would just be a matter of running the wire over there. Not really an issue just a little extra step and engineering.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was actually thinking the same thing for you, just didn't get around to getting on here to say it. The only issue I would see would just be a matter of running the wire over there. Not really an issue just a little extra step and engineering.
As long as it bolts up the one I want is plug and play. Has a 54" inch wire to plug into kick stand switch.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
You should be totally set with that then. The usual reason for the right bar is because of the killswitch being there and such so you dont have to put wires across like that. If it goes for the kickstand, put it on the left. Nothing wrong with that at all.

And just a word of warning about ATV tethers. I tried to use one, problem being they are typically Normally-Open (NO) type tethers. Our bikes need a Normally-Closed (NC) type.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts