Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Frame is not just scratched, there is a huge dent in it. Also one body panel, to the tune of 464 bucks, and some odds and ends, handlebar, shift lever, left mirror. Swingarm took a hit on the spool so not sure about that but it would add almost another grand.

Without the swingarm the repair cost was about 5500 bucks. Value of the bike is about 11K according to kbb.com. So it's gonna be close.

As far as the deal, I got a pretty fair discount but bought the extended warranty, which I am confident could be refunded.

Do the insurance companies also add tax/license/fees to the retail value they use for calculating the total loss?

If they do and they give me a fair price, say, 11500, I would take a hit but would not grouse too much.

I am not real excited about having my bike completely stripped and rebuilt onto a new frame. There is a lot of room for errors and mistakes when not done at the factory.

Having done a couple of racebikes from the frame up myself I know this process.

I would much prefer just "moving on" so to speak, and winding up with a brand-new machine that I can completely trust.

As far as GAP, yep, I have never purchased it and until now never contemplated needing it, but I will for sure buy GAP insurance on my next motorcycle.

Bikes are much easier to total than a car.

I know I mentioned this of course, but does it make a difference if it is completely the other party's fault? Her insurance company has stated they have accepted liability for this incident.
As far as your bike goes, no. When it comes time to insurance, it very well should make a big difference in that you won't be hit with filing a comp claim. With her insurance, you should be made whole-or as close to that as is reasonably possible from a financial perspective.

Consider yourself fortunate that she has decent insurance and not some fly by night weird cheapo company. Worst case scenario, she was running errands for the boss if I recall the first post. That means she very well may have been on company time and her boss certainly doesn't want to be on the hook for this.

Right now, your sucking on a big bowl of ass and it feels like it won't ever end. In 2 weeks, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a post from you showing off your brand spankin' NEW bike!

As far as bad news goes, this is pretty good. You're insured, she's insured, she has accepted blame, nobody got hurt and there are months left to ride before the weather turns. It hurts emotionally and it really does suck-no question there. You'll be riding again before you know it and this time you can buy the faster and better handling black ZX. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Anyone have an idea of labor involved for a complete frame replacement? I was quote 14 hours which seems very low. Two full days for one technician, that seems incredible. One full day for two techs? Man I really don't want to anticipate riding a bike torn apart and put back together in 14 hours.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
As far as your bike goes, no. When it comes time to insurance, it very well should make a big difference in that you won't be hit with filing a comp claim. With her insurance, you should be made whole-or as close to that as is reasonably possible from a financial perspective.

Consider yourself fortunate that she has decent insurance and not some fly by night weird cheapo company. Worst case scenario, she was running errands for the boss if I recall the first post. That means she very well may have been on company time and her boss certainly doesn't want to be on the hook for this.

Right now, your sucking on a big bowl of ass and it feels like it won't ever end. In 2 weeks, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a post from you showing off your brand spankin' NEW bike!

As far as bad news goes, this is pretty good. You're insured, she's insured, she has accepted blame, nobody got hurt and there are months left to ride before the weather turns. It hurts emotionally and it really does suck-no question there. You'll be riding again before you know it and this time you can buy the faster and better handling black ZX. :eek:ccasion1
Well I greatly appreciate this. Yes I am having trouble sleeping. Sounds sissy but a guy doesn't realize how much he's got invested into his bike until someone knocks it down.

I am thinking you are right; she was most definitely on company time, using her personal vehicle. Not a good scenario for the boss or her.

The Allstate adjuster is all hot to get this thing assessed. He was saying he didn't even care if the bike was inspected by the technicians. He said he had a software program that would figure it all out.

Now there is only one way I can interpret that. If the frame is dented he doesn't need to look at anything else.

I sent the lady (young, pregnant lady, btw) an image of the dent and would not be surprised if her adjuster had this image and was just ready to say "totaled, here's a check."

Otherwise how can a software program calculate damage?

Every m/c web forum I've visited says the same thing: even a scratch on the frame means it's totaled.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Anyone have an idea of labor involved for a complete frame replacement? I was quote 14 hours which seems very low. Two full days for one technician, that seems incredible. One full day for two techs? Man I really don't want to anticipate riding a bike torn apart and put back together in 14 hours.
You mean from a dealer right? You already said you did a few race bikes in the past so assume you know what's involved. :dontknow:

As far as time it wouldn't surprise me 14hrs of labor but that is so quick things get missed like proper Torquing, greasing and sealing connectors and joints etc. etc.. For myself it will take a month to do it right but every bolt and nut, electrical wiring, bearings and plus I spend to much time looking at parts and bike than working on them. :crackup:

bloo

Reactions: turtle1000

·
Registered
966 Posts
Keep in mind this isn't exactly a new bike the dealers have been ripping them apart for 4 going on 5 years. With experience, proper tools, service manual, bike stand etc it's possible but 14 seems fast.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
You mean from a dealer right? You already said you did a few race bikes in the past so assume you know what's involved. :dontknow:

As far as time it wouldn't surprise me 14hrs of labor but that is so quick things get missed like proper Torquing, greasing and sealing connectors and joints etc. etc.. For myself it will take a month to do it right but every bolt and nut, electrical wiring, bearings and plus I spend to much time looking at parts and bike than working on them. :crackup:

bloo
Yep, the service manager quoted 14 hours. I could see if experienced techs did the work. Strip all the plastic, seat, subframe, tank, mirrors, gages, handlebars, wheels, forks, steering damper, footrests. Drain radiator and remove with all hoses, strip wiring harnesses, battery. Remove exhaust system, pull engine. Remove swingarm, shock absorber assembly, miscellaneous parts.

Reassemble on new frame.

But my concern is what you said. To correctly torque everything, steering head, engine mounting bolts, swingarm pivot and shock bolts, footpegs, bars, upper/lower triples, so on and so forth, check every last electrical connection and really make sure it's a first-rate job, seems it would take another day anyway.

That 14 hours must be some kind of flat rate. I am seeing that the reason insurance companies total these frame-damaged bikes is because of the liability of having a couple of guys flat-rate a new frame into an old bike. Just one thing done wrong could be really serious. Then the finger-pointing and lawsuits start.

Cheaper to pay out the dough and put the guy on a new bike with full factory warranty; then the liability remains with the manufacturer, not the dealer and insurance agency.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
I was hit on my 2011 in 2013. Bike was deemed a total loss by other parties insurance. Total value $10k, including CA sales tax. Separate payout for gear also. Salvage bike was $1500, so they sent me a check for $8500.
Value was based on comps they pulled for used bikes around the country.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Yep, the service manager quoted 14 hours. I could see if experienced techs did the work. Strip all the plastic, seat, subframe, tank, mirrors, gages, handlebars, wheels, forks, steering damper, footrests. Drain radiator and remove with all hoses, strip wiring harnesses, battery. Remove exhaust system, pull engine. Remove swingarm, shock absorber assembly, miscellaneous parts.

Reassemble on new frame.

But my concern is what you said. To correctly torque everything, steering head, engine mounting bolts, swingarm pivot and shock bolts, footpegs, bars, upper/lower triples, so on and so forth, check every last electrical connection and really make sure it's a first-rate job, seems it would take another day anyway.

That 14 hours must be some kind of flat rate. I am seeing that the reason insurance companies total these frame-damaged bikes is because of the liability of having a couple of guys flat-rate a new frame into an old bike. Just one thing done wrong could be really serious. Then the finger-pointing and lawsuits start.

Cheaper to pay out the dough and put the guy on a new bike with full factory warranty; then the liability remains with the manufacturer, not the dealer and insurance agency.
Agree...don't know much about the Liability of a Dealer after a Frame swap but I am with you.....these bike carry over 160hp it better be done right in the first place it would make me nervous too...nothing against Dealers though sure there are some awesome ones' out there but with 14hrs only I don't care how awesome you are I am sure I can do a better job taking my time than you can. :wink:

bloo

Reactions: White Fang

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Sorry about you bike man. I would consider the new RSV4 if I was in your situation. If you buy the bike back I might be interested in a couple of parts :)

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Sorry about you bike man. I would consider the new RSV4 if I was in your situation. If you buy the bike back I might be interested in a couple of parts :)
Very Transparent no Hidden Agendas here. :lol: :helmet:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike, it can be frustrating having to deal with the insurance company's during the process. I will suggest getting GAP insurance hands down. Mainly because the cost for GAP insurance for me was $350, and the ended up paying off the loan by $3500. My insurance company assessed the value of my bike at like 8k (4th gen less then 2k miles). I believe its better to invest the $3250 other places rather then getting ahead of a loan, for something the will depreciate no matter what. Either way good luck on finding another bike!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Sorry to hear about the bike, it can be frustrating having to deal with the insurance company's during the process. I will suggest getting GAP insurance hands down. Mainly because the cost for GAP insurance for me was $350, and the ended up paying off the loan by $3500. My insurance company assessed the value of my bike at like 8k (4th gen less then 2k miles). I believe its better to invest the $3250 other places rather then getting ahead of a loan, for something the will depreciate no matter what. Either way good luck on finding another bike!
Yep, that's how I'd play it. I will certainly purchase the GAP protection on any future bike I might buy. I am planning to add it to existing loans as well.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So today the check arrived at my service department, covering the cost of replacing the frame, left mid cowling, left mirror. Will also get the shift lever replaced. Insurance company has also sent me $1000 to cover the deductible on my end so no out-of-pocket.

Also learned the bike will receive the same VIN as the old frame from DMV as it was repaired, not declared a loss, so title remains clean.

Parts were ordered today. Also I ordered the R&G Racing 3-piece engine protection and front axle protectors and will order their "Aero" bodywork protectors to complete the protection package. Anything to help prevent more frame damage and damage to cases and side cowlings in the unhappy event the bike should ever fall again.

Got a new chain coming and service manager said he'd work that into the installation.

So if all goes well, should have a bright new shiny bike to ride after the work is done.

Still cannot decide about the regearing. Suppose the cost of a rear sprocket ain't that much and I can always cut three links off the chain and reinstall the stocker if I don't like it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm a big fan of R&G :thumbsup: After lowsiding my R6 at the track the crash bungs and exhaust protector left me with virtually nil damage apart from to the bungs themselves (upper and lower each side on that bike).

The bobbin fixing bolts are designed to absorb impact and avoid transference to the frame. I notified R&G with pics of the damage and they sent me replacement protection free of charge :smile2:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I'm a big fan of R&G :thumbsup: After lowsiding my R6 at the track the crash bungs and exhaust protector left me with virtually nil damage apart from to the bungs themselves (upper and lower each side on that bike).

The bobbin fixing bolts are designed to absorb impact and avoid transference to the frame. I notified R&G with pics of the damage and they sent me replacement protection free of charge :smile2:
Were you using the Aero frame sliders? They have a short one and long one, which were you using? I was also looking at the Yoshimura sliders.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
first I'm reading this post, sorry to hear this Fang, always makes me cringe. This is why I don't leave my 10 ANYWHERE, just take it out for Sunday rides or to the track. Hope you get it back just the way you want it and there are no lingering issues.

Reactions: White Fang

·
Registered
781 Posts
Were you using the Aero frame sliders? They have a short one and long one, which were you using? I was also looking at the Yoshimura sliders.
These were the conventional round ones on the R6. Dont think they had aero shape back then

I've got aero on my 10

Didn't know they did short and long for the 10, so sorry, cant help with that one

R&G are really helpful if you were to send them an E-Mail with your query

·
The Pace
7,011 Posts
Got a new chain coming and service manager said he'd work that into the installation.

So if all goes well, should have a bright new shiny bike to ride after the work is done.

Still cannot decide about the regearing. Suppose the cost of a rear sprocket ain't that much and I can always cut three links off the chain and reinstall the stocker if I don't like it.
No need to cut links for whatever sprocket. No way that oem chain is worn out. Looks all good, but will be awhile. A cbr that I had went in for constant recall and techs were forever tearing down and rebuilding he engine and always worked out perfectly. If I ever buy a 10r engine will do same with the '11. If we get a g5 the used g4 engines should drop in price. Maybe.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts