Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked it perfectly, in a nice space. Went in for coffee. 15 minutes later dude comes up, "Hey man, is that your bike outside?"

For a nanosecond I thought he was going to ask me about the bike but then I just knew something had happened.

Lady was getting coffee for her boss, backed into the parking space I was in, and pushed my bike off the sidestand.

It fell into a concrete curb. Big dent in the frame. New bike, less than 6 months old. No way I am riding or keeping a bike with a damaged frame.

Insurance company contacted, next week hopefully adjusters, estimates, and repairs underway.

What are the chances of this bike being totaled because of this? Anyone know? Because it's got to be a lot of labor to tear an entire motorcycle apart and replace the frame, no?

I won't accept anything but it being put perfect again.

I imagine this lady will be more careful when backing up again. I hope so.

·
U.S. Marine Corps Veteran
288 Posts
Parked it perfectly, in a nice space. Went in for coffee. 15 minutes later dude comes up, "Hey man, is that your bike outside?"

For a nanosecond I thought he was going to ask me about the bike but then I just knew something had happened.

Lady was getting coffee for her boss, backed into the parking space I was in, and pushed my bike off the sidestand.

It fell into a concrete curb. Big dent in the frame. New bike, less than 6 months old. No way I am riding or keeping a bike with a damaged frame.

Insurance company contacted, next week hopefully adjusters, estimates, and repairs underway.

What are the chances of this bike being totaled because of this? Anyone know? Because it's got to be a lot of labor to tear an entire motorcycle apart and replace the frame, no?

I won't accept anything but it being put perfect again.

I imagine this lady will be more careful when backing up again. I hope so.

99% chance it's a total loss. Doesn't take much damage to total out a motorcycle due to the labor to inspect and repair.

·
Registered
966 Posts
^i agree, it won't be cheap tearing every part off bike to install it on new frame... Man I think I'd be experiencing my last day of freedom if that happened to me. I'd be wound up like an 8 day clock.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^i agree, it won't be cheap tearing every part off bike to install it on new frame... Man I think I'd be experiencing my last day of freedom if that happened to me. I'd be wound up like an 8 day clock.
I rode my last loop on that bike today. Didn't know the frame was damaged. Never again at least with that VIN#.

And yeah, I'm not happy about it. But it's been assigned to a claims adjuster, she's got Allstate thank goodness, and hopefully we can get this figured out.

But even in the best scenario I'll guess it's at least 6-8 weeks before I can ride it again. Don't need many parts, just the frame and one panel from what I can see, but labor will be serious. Felt very good today so I got a great memory of that bike. Has like 4400 miles or thereabouts.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Damn that sucks...unless you're in the mood for a new bike.

With frame damage, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a total loss and they'll be writing a check.

Look at the bright side. You're getting a brand new ride and you weren't actually ON the bike when she decided to try and crush it. You may want to buy a lotto ticket today too while there's still time!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My 2011 ZX had a tiny little dent in the frame and it was a total loss. Make sure you push for all your aftermarket parts to be covered as well.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,053 Posts
Hate to hear it Scout. Look at it this way, you wont have to change the oil in it.
:grin2:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hate to hear it Scout. Look at it this way, you wont have to change the oil in it.
:grin2:
Scout isn't in here yet.. I'm confused lol.

My CBR had a tiny crack in the frame and it was totaled because of it..
Most likely it will be going byebye..

If they do are you going to get another gen 4?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Exactly the same happened to my zx7r, went into shop, came out, bike on its side and dude looking guilty over it.
I called the garage that was tasked with repairing it and the bill was up to over £2300, so to make sure it wasn't gonna be written off I told them to take certain items off.. they were gonna replace the n/s mirror for instance although it actually fell onto the o/s, and a few other things just to get the bill down.
The insurance paid out in the end, don't know if they would of if I hadn't gone over the parts list though.

Oh and then he denied all knowledge of even being there, lucky I made sure to get a shot of him in one of the pics at the scene.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sorry to hear the news as well..

Honestly, it's a good thing there was a witness! Back in the day, I came out from a quick trip in the store to find my bike laying on its side with no one witnessing anything and no note left on the bike, ie. hit and run BS.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,202 Posts
Another one down. :sad: Sorry to hear the news Fang.

It's going to be a total loss. Once the frame gets touched, the bike is done. It's best to start working on a deal for a new one.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I would be so devastated if that happened to my gen 2, but then again I'd be happy because I'd probably be getting a gen 4 to replace it.
Good luck to ya fang.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, you guys are the best, seriously. Like one post said, I should buy a lottery ticket. All those miles riding, I am drinking coffee and it appears my bike is totaled.

I never realized how attached a guy could get to a bike until now. It's stupid but in a way I am actually grieving for this bike. There is just something about it.

Hearing that frame damage means total sucks but as another post said, I need to be thinking about what's next. I even thought I'd just pay off the loan and not replace it but that's not possible, I want the open-class sportbike to clear my mind.

For a minute I was thinking, yeah, totaled bike, OK, I'll just get the new R1. Not.

The whole package on the Gen 4 is just so seamless and easy to ride - fast - that no way could I be satisfied with any other bike. I was thinking to myself how well the TC works, the brakes are really good, it turns nicely but is very stable, and handles real nicely in traffic and parking lot situations.

If it's totaled I think I will just replace it, nothing else out there is the package that the Gen 4 is.

Adjuster is supposed to be contacting me next week so we'll see.

Now where is that darn scout?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Thanks for that. That's what I thought. I'll start thinking along those lines.:helmet:
This is what I was hinting at. Your bike is bye bye. Niw you need to decide on whether to stay green!!! (I think you've secretly (not so maybe) lusted at r1 jmo though :crackup: for record I almost bought r1m yesterday but I bought a bike a few months ago brand new and I refuse to pay full retail. I will be spending upwards of 32k there in 6 months and they were apprehensive to give me a break... (Wasn't just with r1m either they were tight with normal r1 too) also you will be riding in a lot less than 6-8 weeks imo.

On a side note this thread is making me rethink my self insure policy..... I bought a leftover so right away full coverage will screw you due to lower value than the newer model so since they're the same bike I decided to wing it and hope for best but if that was me I'd be buying a new bike..... Out of my pocket... I guess I coulda got totall loss insurance but it's probly too late now at 4700 miles and countin.

·
Always On Mod
1,844 Posts
When mine got totalled for frame damage, State Farm offered to sell my bike back to me for $1500. You may want to mention to your adjuster that you are interested in buying the bike back and see what they say. If you aren't interested in dealing with the hassle of parting it out, I guarantee someone near you is.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts