Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bad any experience with this company? I broke one of the adjustment screws or actually the attachment point inside my assembly when I was putting projectors in and am being lazy about it so was looking at this setup

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,773 Posts
Subbed for when you get it and tell us how it works for you. Looks pretty good in green from the pics!

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like how it has the extra switch to turn off the headlights all together not just hi low but completely off so the demon eyes are visible and the white LED strips are always on but also act as front facing blinkers. Kinda makes me want to get bar ends and ditch the mirrors too. Make it a lil more streamlined

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used a similar kit on my 2012 CBR and it worked fine. They sell the entire headlight as well as the projector kit that you have to install yourself for about half the price. The full headlight assembly would be a lot easier so you don't have to split the headlight lens. My only question is there is a lot of wiring that I had to really work hard to hide it. I would want to know how you would hide the wiring. I really liked the added switch feature. Normally, only the angel and demon lights come on, when you click the switch, the low beam comes on and the factor switch operates the low high beam.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a similar kit on my 2012 CBR and it worked fine. They sell the entire headlight as well as the projector kit that you have to install yourself for about half the price. The full headlight assembly would be a lot easier so you don't have to split the headlight lens. My only question is there is a lot of wiring that I had to really work hard to hide it. I would want to know how you would hide the wiring. I really liked the added switch feature. Normally, only the angel and demon lights come on, when you click the switch, the low beam comes on and the factor switch operates the low high beam.
That's exactly how this works. I have all of that in my current headlights but my dumb ass when pulling all the metal screws prior to splitting my assembly apart, mistakes one of the adjustment screws for a screw that held the damn thing together. Long story short. My right headlight will aim left and right and up and down but only so much on the up and down as I broke the top most adjustment screw inside where it attaches to the reflector. It blows cause my headlights bounce a bit while I'm riding and I notice it sometimes. I have RGB lights for my demon eyes, although I don't have angel eye halos I do have pattern and color change led chasers that go along the bottom and up the side of my headlights. As well as 55 watt each LED lights with 2 inch micro projectors with hi/low solenoid that is wired to my oem hi low switch. Been looking at just getting another assembly but it costs over 300 new so figure a couple hundred more and not have to deal with all the wires to hide again and the heat etc. Idk. I am happy with how mine works and looks but not having total adjustment ability is enough to make me say fuck it and remove what I spend over 300 on just for my led and projector setup. Frustrating really

·
Registered
59 Posts
What I did was to purchase a used light from eBay and used it to split. each headlight is different but mine I used the heat gun to soften the glue and then install the projectors. It was scary at times as the used headlight was not cheap. It worked. I did not use the Oven to heat up the lights assembly. The current setup on our bikes (Gen 5) is not very bright for me. Even the LED bulbs I installed are not that great. I have watched a few videos on how to remove the upper front panel and it is a bit involved. There are several hidden screws that you need to know in order to remove the front. Anyways, I saw this seller on Amazon selling kit for about the same price. The seller does not show how the wiring is tucked inside the headlight or even outside.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I did was to purchase a used light from eBay and used it to split. each headlight is different but mine I used the heat gun to soften the glue and then install the projectors. It was scary at times as the used headlight was not cheap. It worked. I did not use the Oven to heat up the lights assembly. The current setup on our bikes (Gen 5) is not very bright for me. Even the LED bulbs I installed are not that great. I have watched a few videos on how to remove the upper front panel and it is a bit involved. There are several hidden screws that you need to know in order to remove the front. Anyways, I saw this seller on Amazon selling kit for about the same price. The seller does not show how the wiring is tucked inside the headlight or even outside.
Dig around the forum, I have already done it. I agree that the oem lights on the gen 5 blow. I installed 2 inch micro projectors with some insanely bright high powered led headlights, on high beam my bike lights up everything you can see for a retarded distance. I'll see if I can find the thread I made about the how to and some of the pics. Like I said, I'm only looking at this option cause I feel lazy and just want to have it fixed. My hesitation is due to the over 300 I spent on the bulbs and projectors plus the time and effort I spent getting it styled in. DDM tuning in Huntington Beach is local to me and they offer killer warranty and products. So I went that route. Check them out

·
Registered
59 Posts
I understand. Will try to find your thread. I think I read it before but don't remember. If KT can provide a bit more detail on how many wires come out of the back of the headlight assembly then I can make a decision on buying it. There is a version that has convertible LEDs (both DRL and turn signals at the bottom of each projector. I believe that one is $600 plus tax through Amazon or from their website directly. I like DDM and their products are very dependable. i used them on my Celica before and never had any problems. The used headlight assembly is hard to come by for this bike (Mine is 2018). You are lucky to have them close by. Here in the midwest nothing is close by.

here is the link

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For sure the used headlight shit is hard to come by, mine is an 18 as well. I find them in half headlight pieces which confuses the shit out of me. They don't come in just one side so they are broken but they still want not broken prices

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have not seen any on eBay or here in the for sale section either. If one can afford, the best option would be to buy the KT headlight complete assembly. You can save some money by not adding a demon eye. I don't know about the quality of those headlights.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that's kinda my issue. I found aftermarket empty headlight enclosures before but can't find them again. Trust though if I am gonna go as far as buying a headlight assembly that has been modified I am gonna get the demon eyes. Just wish they would make them multi colored like mine are right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think our bikes are new enough but given time, parts will become available. You and I both have installed projectors before and they do sell Projector kit that comes complete with wiring. My problem was there were additional wiring for the demon eye, angle eyes plus ballast that was difficult to hide in the small space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am interested in installing this KIT on my 2020 - Do you guys recommend it? what is the effort to install this kit? how is the quality?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used the kit (not the whole assembly) on my CBR1000RR and I rode it all over Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I did the retrofit kit and it worked just fine. I liked both lights ON on dim and full. Installation was tedious but I had to first separate the headlight lens, then gut the interior to install the projectors. It took several days but once installed it worked fine. None of the ballast or bulbs ever go out and I think ran that kit for over 4 years till I sold the bike. This kit for $550 is a complete set so you don't have to gut your headlight assembly. Just replace it with this one. The ZX-10R has a sort of complex process of unbolting the original light. There are bolts hidden behind however, there is a detailed video on Youtube. I bookmarked it for reference. If I find it Ii will post link here. I would say based upon my experience go for it if you can afford it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. The wiring and ballast were a pain to hide. I had to hid the ballast in between the two headlights but there were too many wires. I had demon eyes and halos. I end up not installing the strip lights on my Honda.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Each feature has two wires per side so you will save 4 wires. Are you planning on getting their headlight assembly? That is what I would recommend. That is what I will get just not getting around to do it. It is on Amazon too. I would recommend not getting the demon's eyes. Instead, the daytime running light strip at the bottom looks really cool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Correct - I am getting their whole assembly without the Demon eyes. I am trying to make it look as stock as possible.
I don't know if i have the confidence to disassemble and assemble, run the wiring , etc though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If Ii remember correctly, at first the wiring is intimidating but when you carefully separate them It is not a bid deal. The kit comes with a headlight ON/OFF switch. I had mine installed near the Red Engine ON/OFF switch. There is a red positive wire that goes to the battery and a negative to the ground. the rest go to the headlight and fits into the headlight harness. so essentially it is plug and play but the trick would be to hide all the wires. Just take your time, take pictures of each step, or video yourself. I had no help and it was my first time digging into a brand new bike LOL. If you get stuck somewhere post it here or PM me and Ii will try to help you out. I don't know a whole lot about this bike but should not be too difficult.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts