Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have had two of my bikes stolen, and the second one had 26 cm think Trimax cable that was cut... (It was a clean cut).

Now, I am thinking of installing trackers, Scorpio (not sure which model though), and some chain. My questions are

1. Has anyone witnessed breakage of Kryptonite chain? Seems like that is the best in the market, however; most of the people say that everything can be cut... however; I could not find a real case online that had the chain cut.

2. I was told that cable is safer than the chain, however; the cable did not prove to be very useful towards protection (since it was cut). What do you guys think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
anything is possible esp when they take the bike and put it in the back of these big cargo vans they have all the time to work on getting that chain or cable off, there was a big article about that in last monts Road Racing World..

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Nice video, man them chains sure dont hold up it did take some force to break some of them though, but they still fail with those big ass bolt cutters.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Get 1 of these
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=27
they used to have a video section where they showed the competition (ten top rated chains) giving in within 1 minute, the video of their own chain brakes the cutters. They had to remove the vids 4 legal reasons & upsetting their competitors lol
Ergo

·
Registered
360 Posts
Get 1 of these
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=27
they used to have a video section where they showed the competition (ten top rated chains) giving in within 1 minute, the video of their own chain brakes the cutters. They had to remove the vids 4 legal reasons & upsetting their competitors lol
Ergo
Their own chain vids are still up on youtube, and they're over $300 to the US. I also saw a post somewhere that the almax chain could be busted with a regular sledgehammer.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
screw that it will go in my garage. and if i hear a noise ill walk out there with a shotty and my 1911 45.

·
Registered
757 Posts
get a damn garage!! even thats not 100% but its better than chain. or get a 1st floor apt and roll that thing inside.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
The pro's use hydraulic cutters. Nothing you put on it can stop those. It would be wise to store it inside if possible.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about the scorpio alarm? If it is parked in a parking lot, among the appartments. Has anyone had bike stolen in which the thieves had the way around the Scorpio Alarm? I am planning to have Scorpio alarm (900 series), with the GPS tracking. Anyone thinks it is not good enough? Anyone had a bad experience even with these things?
Let us know.
Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about the scorpio alarm? If it is parked in a parking lot, among the appartments. Has anyone had bike stolen in which the thieves had the way around the Scorpio Alarm? I am planning to have Scorpio alarm (900 series), with the GPS tracking. Anyone thinks it is not good enough? Anyone had a bad experience even with these things?
Let us know.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't really know if I'd want my bike back after it was stolen/ragged out/stripped.

I've got my 07 insured for a pretty penny....so if it gets stolen....well it would suck but so be it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had one of the last model scorpio's, and although I might reuse it on my new bike I'm not all that impressed. The thing with alarms is either you or other people have to hear it and put a stop to the theft. You may get the signal on the 2 way pager, but most likely inside any building you won't. Also as loud as the alarm sounded to me during testing, my neighbors (whose door was maybe 15-20 ft. from my bike) didn't hear it going off when it was set off by accident one time when I was gone... it was going off for about 20 mins lol.

For me it's about 1000-1200 more a year for comp and collision, and I can't justify that cost being that I don't live in high theft areas. I'll go for basic security and maybe if I move somewhere with more risk I'll use lojack, or the micro-dot type products you can stick to parts (they have a common serial number for your bike, if it's parted out the parts can be traced if theyre found.) at least then hopefully someone will be caught. As someone previously mentioned, anything securing the bike that's attached to the bike like locks, chains, or alarms, is beaten by 2 guys lifting it onto a truck or into a van.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had one of the last model scorpio's, and although I might reuse it on my new bike I'm not all that impressed. The thing with alarms is either you or other people have to hear it and put a stop to the theft. You may get the signal on the 2 way pager, but most likely inside any building you won't. Also as loud as the alarm sounded to me during testing, my neighbors (whose door was maybe 15-20 ft. from my bike) didn't hear it going off when it was set off by accident one time when I was gone... it was going off for about 20 mins lol.

For me it's about 1000-1200 more a year for comp and collision, and I can't justify that cost being that I don't live in high theft areas. I'll go for basic security and maybe if I move somewhere with more risk I'll use lojack, or the micro-dot type products you can stick to parts (they have a common serial number for your bike, if it's parted out the parts can be traced if theyre found.) at least then hopefully someone will be caught. As someone previously mentioned, anything securing the bike that's attached to the bike like locks, chains, or alarms, is beaten by 2 guys lifting it onto a truck or into a van.
Yes this is true.. someone has to hear it in order for it to be saved.. The area I live in, I think is pretty crowded...
hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
685 Posts
The thing with alarms is that they at least give you or the people around the opportunity to realize something is wrong. I was reading a post on another forum and it stated something completely obvious but overlooked.

Guy walks up to a bike with gear on and a helmet in his hand. Stands next to it for a while until a truck pulls up. Then they roll the bike into the truck or pick it up and put it in the truck. May even tie it down. Thing is, to the general public, it looks like he was waiting for a buddy to pick him and the bike up. But he might have just stolen the bike in plain view. Think about that for a sec...

I also know a guy that had SEVERAL chains on his bike and had it locked to immovable objects and covered. Came out one morning and the cover and chains were left where the bike was. :bs:

If they want it, they will take it with you on it if need be. Heard it happen a few of times in the MD/DC area. Guys pull up next to you in a vehicle and tell you to get off the bike at gun point...

·
Registered
405 Posts
... You could also by a beater old cargo van for $500, deflate the tires and throw an 8ft ramp in the back, and use it as a mobile garage!
Very interesting idea, perfect for a place that has a driveway but no garage. You don't even have to register or insure the thing. Would also double as a neighbor annoyance device, if you didn't like your neighbors. :lol:

·
Registered
410 Posts
The alarm I had was nothing but trouble. It pissed off my neighbors, my coworkers, and everyone else that had to listen to the silly thing blare every time a bird landed on the seat, a gust of wind rocked it just a bit, or the button was accidently pressed in my pocket.

I ended up never arming it, and I relied on my disk lock for a deterrent. Ya, i'm sure it's easy to defeat, but hopefully it will make them think twice and pick something else easier to steal. There are lots of unlocked bikes around.

I keep it in the garage at night. My 12 gauge is always ready, the wife and dogs are light sleepers (pomeranians make great alarm systems! yellow labs, not so much) . I love the new castile doctrine!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Brother,
Consider installing Lojack in addition to the alarm system.
The normal tracking system does work, BUT the police will never go and check the coordinates that you supply to them.
Lojack is the only device that the police will respond to.

www.lojack.com

Also +1 for the Almax chain.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts