Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I occasionally get the balls to hold WFO through the gears, almost always when I go for third (clutchless), I end up still in second and overrev. It just doesn't pop in to third the way it should and it's bringin' me down.

BTW, the other day on just the right turn and surface, I got the bastard to power wheelie in third at about 130ish on corner exit. That's a new one to me. Unfuckin real.

P.S. Bike is still under warranty but I need to know if anyone has dealt with this yet. My dealer will take apart the whole bike before figuring it out, and I'd like to point them in the right direction.

Mark

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Everytime I have that problem its cause I got lazy...

Also, depending on what type of oil youre running, it could be causing problems with the clutch...The fix for that is take it out and soak it in oil overnight and reinstall!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ummm, not getting lazy with the ol' foot. Trust me.

Am running Kawichem 20w50 dino-oil. 1800 miles

And this happens when clutchless upshifting, so I beleive that wouldn't effect the transmissions engagement? Never thought about that.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Try the clutch thing...youll be glad you did...check out the how-to section! :wink:

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
grunty-motor said:
try lowering the shift lever or going for the GP pattern - not a real fix but helps
I missed second a few times before I switche to GP style. Haven't had the problem since.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Andy said:
I missed second a few times before I switche to GP style. Haven't had the problem since.
went gp also no problems ! Andy how much of the lower did you have to trim?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Rearsets will fix it. Sato, Arata, Attack, etc. All good. No more sloppy linkage = no more sloppy shifts. And for all the whiners, I know we shouldn't have to install aftermarket rearsets in order to have good shifting. A perfect world would be nice, but we live in this one, and you get better shifts with rearsets.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts

here is the sato in gp shift you will have to trim the lower a bit

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sorry for the retarded question....but the only difference between stock and GP is the absence of the extra linkage, correct??

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I agree bad lever placement and/or laziness. I also always try and wear the same boots every time. Some boots are thicker then others and that will have an impact on things as well. if your going to ride at 9/10ths then you have to prepare to ride 9/10ths...(air pressures before every ride, chain tension, shift lever, brake , clutch, etc. etc..)

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Dawson-ZX said:
Sorry for the retarded question....but the only difference between stock and GP is the absence of the extra linkage, correct??
no it reverses the shift pattern!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?!?! It was just a question....I'm not all about the GP, sorry...

the shifting style sounds like it would be helpful though!!

treyzx10r said:
NO IT REVERSES THE SHIFT PATTERN!

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Dawson-ZX said:
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ME?!?! It was just a question....I'm not all about the GP, sorry...

the shifting style sounds like it would be helpful though!!
my bad did't no i'd caps on . if you have never ridden with gp shift be careful until you get used to it. once you do you wo'nt miss the standard shift

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
try switching to 10W-40 weight oil, i was using motul's 5100 20W-50 and then switched to amsoil synthetic 10W40 and man its night and day, bike seems to shift better everytime i ride.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I didn't know you could YELL in here!

I will try lowering the shifter and see if that helps. But beleive me, I'm not lazy at the lever. Limenine-give me some support here!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Why are you running 20w-50? Lighter oil might help, but a solid shift will help even more. Lower the shift lever a wee bit. If you go too low, you'll know it. There is a happy medium - you'll be surprised how many shifts you don't miss when you don't have to lift your toe to the sky to get an upshift to stick.

//'scum

·
Registered
828 Posts
I tried the GP shift and I think it is too much for me to get used to on the street. I tried to see what it was like to ride with it and yes, you can get better upshifts but when I was going to down shift it seemed harder to find neutral when coming to the stop lights. I could see how it could work better for drag racing because it will shift up fairly easy with a stomp of the foot but I didn't like trying to get used to it on the street. Just my 02. cents. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts