Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who is in the air about doing the smog delete aka kleen air mod should just do it. I was back and forth on the idea and decided to just go for it. I bought the driven kit and did it all myself. It's fairly easy to do (aside from getting the [email protected]¥€ing air box in and out) really all you need is a Phillips had screw driver, a4mm and 5mm Allen key and you're pretty set. Tons of write ups on it so I'm not going to go in to any detail. But long story short it pretty much eliminate the exhaust gurgling on deceleration, it really sounds much better now. So if you were on the fence before like I was, just do it you won't regret it.

Sorry about all the typos, posted from my phone and I was having a heck of a time trying to get it to let me fix it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is there any other benefit? I did mine tonight(driven kit, had to file the holes inward a little as the spacing was ~2mm too wide).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Is there any other benefit? I did mine tonight(driven kit, had to file the holes inward a little as the spacing was ~2mm too wide).
this is the only benefits. you gotta block it off once you wanna get accurate auto-tuning or going to dyno. because extra air throws off your afr readout.

and after doing this i noticed i eliminated all exhaust popping or useless backfiring. which is more gentle when you have police behind you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine came in yesterday. I had to file the holes on mine as well. Thought that was a little crappy sine the driven kit states that it is for my bike.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I love the sound mine makes on decel...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yeah I dig the popping noise, in my neighbor hood it's funny watching ppl hit the deck when I back off the throttle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the Gen4 can you still just block off the hose going into the air box as you could with the Gen3 and get the same effect as block off plates for the smog thing?

I haven't taken mine apart yet so I don't know what it looks like under there and if its really different then a Gen3.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i did it the easier way... i pulled the hose off the airbox.. jammed a bolt in there with a hose clamp around the hose.. and capped off the air box... done!

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the Gen4 can you still just block off the hose going into the air box as you could with the Gen3 and get the same effect as block off plates for the smog thing?

I haven't taken mine apart yet so I don't know what it looks like under there and if its really different then a Gen3.
Yes, you can plug the hose and you will yield the same results as the block off plates. In another thread, Skydork posted an illustrated layout of the various ways to block the air.

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3126657&postcount=48

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can the Kleen system functionality be disabled with an ECU flash?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Certain flashes it can, some it cannot. Guhl does remove it, but I dont think the Woolrich software can yet...not sure about others

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Certain flashes it can, some it cannot. Guhl does remove it, but I dont think the Woolrich software can yet...not sure about others
Woolich can't remove it. I include a plug and play FI light eliminator with my flashes for free because of this.

Also with the popping on decel being removed, you're helping preserve the packing in your exhaust canister so it doesn't prematurely wear out and need replacing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the holes being a touch off, mine were too but I put the first bolt in a few threads then put the plate crooked so I could stay the second screw then systematically turned them down all they would go down even. Didn't turn hard at any point and send to seal up just fine. My popping on decel is completely gone and I love it. It bugged me to have all that whole I was slowing down. Doing the servo eliminator thing tonight too already soldered it all up just have to go back out there and see if it worked. It didn't work for my friends gen 3 for whatever reason so I'm hopeful it will with mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts