Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback from anyone whose used the launch control features of the kit ECU on the track / race grids.

Or perhaps there's other features like T/C tuning that's even better.
I do find the "race" mode for TC is still too intrusive.

As for Launch control:
Has it really helped you off the line?
Does it hold 1st gear RPM's to a certain RPM limit?
Does it feel like you have to shift into 2nd sooner then normal?

Just looking for actual racer impressions to see where I put this on my list of racebike upgrades.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have quit using it because it just limits the RPM to a preset number. So if you set it to 8500, you need to be in 2nd by 8500 rpm or it will fall flat on it's face when you hit that pre set ceiling.

It works well for tracks that offer you the ability to hit 2nd before a turn, but if you have a long straight before corner 1 it just doesn't seem to work well, for me at least

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Here is what the kit ECU launch control config looks like. Particularly items 11 and 12.
Screenshot 2015-03-04 13.43.09.jpg

Here is what Woolich's launch control (default values) look like.
woolich_lc_default.jpg

Haven't had a chance to test out either, hoping to test out the Woolich here next week as it looks like we're supposed to finally hit spring with 40s, 50s and 60s :thumbsup:

From what I've been told by the guys I've flashed and put the launch control in for them, they love it.

I think the Woolich stuff may be the superior option here simply because you get a little more adjustability over the kit stuff. Just my two pennies. Again that opinion is just based off of going through the kit software and playing with that and the Woolich stuff. I won't have a definitive answer till next week when I should be able to try out both systems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have quit using it because it just limits the RPM to a preset number. So if you set it to 8500, you need to be in 2nd by 8500 rpm or it will fall flat on it's face when you hit that pre set ceiling.

It works well for tracks that offer you the ability to hit 2nd before a turn, but if you have a long straight before corner 1 it just doesn't seem to work well, for me at least
Yep I've heard that a couple times. Forgetting to grab 2nd gear quick enough kills your starting momentum.

Did you play with setting the upper RPM limit higher to 11K or similar?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the screenprint there.
Will stay tuned after you do some testing.

Don't know much about the Woolich system. Will looking that.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The kit launch controll f'd up every start I did last season. In the last race I got the holeshot and then 8000rpm happened and I was back to 5th. I'm lucky I didn't get asspacked.

I found I was getting a good launch at ~7500rpm, right where the motor starts to smooth out.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Usually setting the launch control slightly before where the motor makes peak torque is where you want to set values for launch control. Set it at peak torque and you get more acceleration up rather than out. Set it a little before, and you'll have enough torque to drive out and not bring the front up too much.

So saying you were getting better, consistent launches at ~7500 RPMs make sense.

Again this is for people that are lighter. Heavier guys or track conditions will warrant adjusting the launch RPM some.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My L/C is set for 10000 rpm. Works great the bad starts are usualyy caused by me and not the bike called letting the clutch out too fast. But when I get it right shit is like being launched out of a cannon. I also have three different TC settings set for 1,2,3. 1 is -2, 2 is 0, and 3 is +2. This year we will also probably play around with the I believe its called accel adjustment but really the bike gets off the corners well for me its just getting the damn thing in there faster. But ill learn fast off of the World Superstock 1000 boys and IDM Superbike boys too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the kit ecu you have to do the procedure or it wont work. First gear stationery blip to 5000 I have a blue light to tell me its activated and then full throttle let clutch out and get to second as quick as I can

1 - 12 of 12 Posts