Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Today, I put my bike on the dyno to tune it for the track season.

Mods are:

Kite ECU
full Arata Exhaust
new spark plugs
race filter
-1,+2 sprokets

First of all, Thanks to a felow member on this forum (Daxenox) who gave me his map. I use it as a base map and saved a lot of time. (if someone is interested, just send me a PM and I will share it...

Before the kit ECU the bike was doing 169,2 hp and 80,7 tq at the back wheel. This mourning, I did 186,2 @ 12 250 rpm and 88,5 tq @ 9000 rpm :eyecrazy:. I was expecting near 180 and I'm really happy with the result. Both run where made on the same dyno by the same technician.

this is a 16,9 hp and 7,8 tq gain only by the ECU
The full Exhaust gave me a 15 hp gain last year over stock.

I found that the software was easy enough to work with despite the fact that it's a bit "old School"... Once you figure out how to read and write to the ECU, you're on the right track...

For those who want to get one of these, be sure to have a good technician to program it or find someone with a good enough map for you to start with...
If I had to start with the 0 map I could be still tuning it right now... :headshake

the kit ecu is:

Very good for track day rider or racer
good for the aggressive street rider or big time enthusiastic rider
not worth the money for normal rider.

if you can do a diagnostic run on your bike and don't wanna play with the set up later, go for the reflash. If you were thinking about the race conversion (Dynotronics or Guhl), I would say you'd rather buy the kit ecu...

If you have questions about the kit ECU, feel free to PM me. (installation, tuning, options available, etc.)

I hope it would help some of you out there. :thumbsup:

and if it works great for you, you can rep it :)

Graphs:

dyno result 28 avril 2012.jpg

Dyno result 18 août 2011.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually, I think that the dynotronics is the exact same thing but you won't have the sub harness for switches and quick shifter.

The kit ecu is used by kawasaki Racing team. The conversion use stock ecu. they drill holes and you also have to deal with shipping of your stock ecu.

The kawasaki stuff is for sure good stuff :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
So.... Could Guhl or Dynotronics not do the same same thing with just the reflash? I know about having the full kit and being able to tune yourself, but, I'm assuming you got those high numbers with disabling a lot of restrictions and throwing some more timing at it? Could they not map the ECU with some good ignition numbers and then go from there with the PCV?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So.... Could Guhl or Dynotronics not do the same same thing with just the reflash? I know about having the full kit and being able to tune yourself, but, I'm assuming you got those high numbers with disabling a lot of restrictions and throwing some more timing at it? Could they not map the ECU with some good ignition numbers and then go from there with the PCV?
yes they can and they probably do bether than me... What I said is if you can datalog your bike and send the info, they'll do a great job. But if you want to change your parameter (ex: rain vs sunny map) you should go with the kit ecu over a race conversion. if not, reflash is more than enough.

I'm planning to get a pvc and autotune to fine tune the monster, but after my ohlins cartridge kit :wink:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Jesus Mary and Joseph this is so confusing... Some say that a reflash on gen 3 is pointless, but then seeing you add some timing and play with yours and rip off 185+ makes me want to send my ecu and just get a reflash and hook an autotune up... But then reading that the reflash didn't do much on most makes me second guess it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jesus Mary and Joseph this is so confusing... Some say that a reflash on gen 3 is pointless, but then seeing you add some timing and play with yours and rip off 185+ makes me want to send my ecu and just get a reflash and hook an autotune up... But then reading that the reflash didn't do much on most makes me second guess it.
Realize that the dyno may be a bit optimistic. what I'm happy about is the +17hp from stock ecu (no power commander), race air filter and new spark plugs. I may get 175 hp if I dyno it in July. I was also lucky to have a base map to start with. a 0 map would have sucked to get where it is right now.

for those who have my map, it would be great if you dyno test it before and after and tell the results. I share it cause it did really good on my bike. it may not be the same on others.

If I had a dyno, I would have tuned the bike to perfection.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Removing all the limiters, the timing retard in 1-3rd gears, raising the rpm limiter to 14,000, adjusting the primary/secondary injector fueling and changing the ignition timing to suit are not pointless, i personally think it's worth the money.
As Fred said it depends on what you do with your bike...

It just takes alot of time to tune all the parameters (this is where the reflash comes handy). But if you want to change them all the time a race ecu (or a stock one converted to race) will be more useful.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Removing all the limiters, the timing retard in 1-3rd gears, raising the rpm limiter to 14,000, adjusting the primary/secondary injector fueling and changing the ignition timing to suit are not pointless, i personally think it's worth the money.
As Fred said it depends on what you do with your bike...

It just takes alot of time to tune all the parameters (this is where the reflash comes handy). But if you want to change them all the time a race ecu (or a stock one converted to race) will be more useful.
plus control over the top throttle plate.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts