Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki ZX-10R KRT ABS Edition
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the std Gen5 R handle the race exhaust cam? On the Kawi site it seems to be exclusive to the RR. Also, for the intake cams, the R and RR part numbers are different but the specs are the same: 301 duration / 10.5mm lift. I've been browsing part diagrams and can't seem to find any differences between the R & RR though. The head cover is the same and it appears that there's really no differences in the actual cylinder head besides an auxiliary drain bolt for the RR. Advice?

·
Registered
737 Posts
My understanding is that the RR head is clearanced for the larger lift Race Kit cams, and they wont fit in the standard ZX10R head.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that the RR head is clearanced for the larger lift Race Kit cams, and they wont fit in the standard ZX10R head.
Ah, perhaps instead of vertical clearance, like I'm thinking, the case is thinner to allow clearance with the walls. Can anyone confirm?

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
Ah, perhaps instead of vertical clearance, like I'm thinking, the case is thinner to allow clearance with the walls. Can anyone confirm?
To get the KIT Cams for the RR to work in a std R model you need to have the head machined around the cam journals for clearance and the KIT Springs are required. I've confirmed this with KWS Motorsports/Michael Godin.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
probably cheaper than buying an RR though!!
If the gains are even worth it... I imagine the machine time and labor wouldn't be cheap! The intake cam is good for 5-7HP (word of mouth on here but have yet to see a sheet). If the exhaust cam yielded similar results I'd maybe be game but I don't think that'd be the case. I'll shoot KWS an email out of curiosity.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
probably cheaper than buying an RR though!!
It’s $850ish for the parts and I “think” the clearance needed is minor by machinists terms. Gains are all at the top of the revs and you’ll never really use that power unless your at big tracks.

·
Formerly CLCRACINGAaron
473 Posts
If the gains are even worth it... I imagine the machine time and labor wouldn't be cheap! The intake cam is good for 5-7HP (word of mouth on here but have yet to see a sheet). If the exhaust cam yielded similar results I'd maybe be game but I don't think that'd be the case. I'll shoot KWS an email out of curiosity.
It’s faster to just call them. Tell Mike or Kevin that “Aaron sent you” concerning ZX10R work... ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts