Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is not about kids per se, just the idiot kids who buy new bikes.

This is from a friend of mine who I just talked to upon getting back into town. I am 33 and he is 35 we have been riding together since 91, on and off track.

Kid (19) comes to him telling him he just bought a brand new GSXR-1000, and says it is sooo easy to ride that he can touch is knee everywhere because it just wants to go right over in a corner and it is great, and he won't even race anyone unless they have an R1 or better because his bike is sooooo fast.

After a few minutes he finally says well I have a 92 FZR 1000, it is paid off and I will race you for pinks anywhere you want to ride......kid starts making excuses about bike being too old yadda yadda yadda.

Then he just tells him he is a dipshit and has his head up his ass and he is going to crash the bike w/in a month because he is just a dumb kid, who doesn't know his head from his butt!.

What is it with the knuckleheads that think they have to have the biggest bike out there when they haven't put their time in on the smaller bikes to get used to a bike???

I had a 600 for 2 years before getting my zx7, then rode that for 10 years! Then got the 636, then the 10r. Europe definitely has the right idea about guys having to "work their way up."

Just wanted to share about troubling kids these days!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Unfortunately, I couldn't agree with you more. Does this make us old?!? <haha> I prefer to think of it as simply older & wiser.

Bottom line, nearly every bike made in the last 10 years has more potential than 95% of riders have ability - myself included (I know I will never reach the 10s full potential, but I will have lots of fun none-the-less...). If only we could get newer riders to understand that.

There seems to be this pervasive attitude that smaller bikes garner less respect. I'll tell you what, show me you know how to ride well & safe, and I'll respect you no matter what you ride!

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Unfortunately when you're young you're too dumb to know you're dumb.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xusia, you are right, I have seen plenty of people on 600's whoop the crap out of some of the people on the bigger bikes 750/1000's all because they know HOW to ride the bike they have.

I don't think there are many people who can use the 10r to its full ability, because it takes more than riding on the street and the occasional track day to do it, but I am happy, and I am going to give it my 85 - 90% :D

Yes, WISER!

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
'02 sv650>'00 gsxr-750>'01 gsxr-750>'00 748s>'04 zx10r

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
maybe 4 years Xusia. :)

started on 250's for a few years then onto '80 cb900, the old girl certainly not as fast and nimble as 600's so was'nt a bad stepping stone.
99 R1
01 SP1(RC51)
04 ZX10R phoaaaarrrrr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not only kids

I live in galesburg illinois and one of my best friends killed himself today on his 1999 kawasaki zx6r. He was being extremely stupid and dangerous. He was going and estimated 100 in a 35 and jumped a curb, then bounced off a building and died. we have both been riding since 1993 and are both in our late twenties. i know that this is the kind of shit that gives all rocket riders a bad name, but we have to convince our friends that ride retardedly to chill out.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Re: Not only kids

Lunar 2000 said:
I live in galesburg illinois and one of my best friends killed himself today on his 1999 kawasaki zx6r. ... i know that this is the kind of shit that gives all rocket riders a bad name, but we have to convince our friends that ride retardedly to chill out.
My condolences.

I have been trying to get the same message out to people around here. Some listen, some don't. Some take it personally when it's pointed out that the situation could have been avoided.

It wouldn't have made a difference in your friend's particular situation, and I know some people don't like hearing it, but graduated licensing could be a factor to avoid SOME of the problems. I'm thinking 500cc displacement limit for 2 years and/or until you pass some sort of skill/attitude test.

There was a collision here in Toronto a few days ago where a 16 year old kid on a GSXR600 crashed on Lakeshore, broke both legs and killed his 14 year old passenger who had a helmet on, but it came off because it was poorly fitted (too big). The circumstances of the crash aren't really known, but it IS known that he was going way too fast for conditions (night, city street with 60 km/h limit, they figure he was doing 160 km/h). The kid is still in the hospital, and my understanding is that he doesn't yet know that his girlfriend is dead ... That rider should not have been on that bike ... Perhaps the collision would have happened anyway on a Ninja 250, this will never be known, but it's sure a lot less tempting to show off when you KNOW the bike has nothing much to deliver. People who really want to ride will go through the process; people who just want to brag about their big ego-boosting toy aren't seriously interested anyway.

My progression for street bike has been '84 Honda 450 Nighthawk, '87 Ninja 750, '94 ZX9R, '04 ZX10R. In the meantime, I had an EX500 for a race bike, and now an FZR400 for a race bike, and I have a spare FZR400 licensed for the road also.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I just can't believe you can get your license for a big bore bike at such a young age over there, over here you must start on a 250cc or less(Western Australia), I think the other states it goes by power to weight ratio, so is still know where near the big bores, you had to be on probation(80kph or less) for 1 year and has now changed to 2.
I just don't get it. :shock:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am only 25 but feel 40 (the navy does that) I have several peers that saw my 10 and were like ooh I wanna go get one. I try to explain to them that they dont have the experience, and they pretty much think I am trying to hold them back. Mind you about half of my experience was on dirt which is a totally different game than street. but I still was smart enough to start out with a CBR F4i. it helped me get used to street, then I moved up to a VTR1000 which I rode for a year and a half, then I got my ZX-10. I only use about 50-60% of what it has to offer. Mind you I am still making payments (yes I am fully insured with gap coverage) and this bike is too amazing for me to go out and wreck it while doing something stupid. I am going to try and expand on my skills by doing trackdays, I just gotta find the time..... On the dirt however I tend to flaunt and showboat a little more, but then that is the reason I have 4 fake front teeth. I just had to learn the hard way.....
Micah

·
&#1071; - &#1056;&#1077;&#1073;&#1077;&#1085;&#108
3,577 Posts
sp500 said:
I just can't believe you can get your license for a big bore bike at such a young age over there, over here you must start on a 250cc or less(Western Australia), I think the other states it goes by power to weight ratio, so is still know where near the big bores, you had to be on probation(80kph or less) for 1 year and has now changed to 2.
I just don't get it. :shock:
DC dont have much to offer bikers, no MFS ( i had to goto VA) most bikers i know dont have a licences or took a MSF class. They make it way to easy to get a licences here. you just go to the DMV sit infront of a screen, answer 20 questions get 15 out of 20 and you pass, not to mention the computer have pictures that help you guess very well. Once you pass you have a learners that last 1 year and you dont have to have anyone riding with you like other states. To get the licences itself, is even easier.

We definently need MFS or something, every month we have 1 4 people down bad or killed, even my lil brother 3 months ago.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear about that Lunar, I know it sucks.

Since this is a huge navy town, and I am one of the "older guys" a lot of the "kids" tell me they want to get a bike because the are "cool." I agree with them that they are great, but have to talk nearly every one of them into getting just a 600 for a minimum of a year. I can't stress to them enough that the 600's today still have way too much power for them, but don't get anything bigger, not to mention that I dropped from the 7 (w/9 engine) to a 636, so that should tell them something about the 600's today.

But there are others.........right before (2 days) we left for the "summer pulse" one guy crashed his brand new bike 900 cc's or something like that, it was a honda, no jacket just pants and t shirt. Crashed into the guard rail and it literally tore chunks of his skin off. You could look at the guard rail and see pieces of fat on the rail and it didn't look pretty.

Then 2 days before we got back, a friend of a friend crashed a bike wearing a t shirt and got some crazy rash.

I can't stress enough about wearing a good leather jacket, or at least a jacket period. I think after those two crashes and my beligerant raving, most of them are going to start.

I started 89 600r, 91 zx6 "d", 92 zx7r, 03 zx6r, 04 zx10r. I have been down 3 times in my life and haven't been down since 94 (and planning on keeping it that way!)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Guys, U are making me feel real OLD right now. I have been riding some 21 years now. I have taught a good bit of folk to ride or ride better. I am always telling guys that the is a place and a time for all types of riding. Don't get me wrong, When I was younger a rode like an ass at times. But you try to teach other from you mistakes. I find that for the most part 70 percent will have to learn the hard way. I have my little brother that I taught to ride when he was about 14, He is now 20.

Had him ride with my friends one day I was not able to go. So he when with my 98 ZX9. He was cutoff on the highway ride about 85/90 average high bike speed. He had to go into grass a that speed and avoid tree also. He work it out like a Champ. My friend were very impressed with his riding ablity. They all said had it be them, they would have fallen of crashed in to a tree. I guess all the Sunday dirt bike lesson payed off. He at no point used the front brakes, He used the the rear to steer the bike to avoid the trees.

Sorry, for the long write. I guess I wanted to say that your skills will come with time. DON,T try to ride someone elses skill set. It will get you into BIG TROUBLE. I have seen it all.

RIDE SAFE
RIDE SMART
RIDE FOREVER

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
KAWYMAN said:
Sorry, for the long write. I guess I wanted to say that your skills will come with time. DON,T try to ride someone elses skill set. It will get you into BIG TROUBLE. I have seen it all.

RIDE SAFE
RIDE SMART
RIDE FOREVER
How right you are. [smilie=1:

BD

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
Xusia said:
stunnerific_harry said:
So in 2 years, you've had 5 bikes?!?
yes about 2 years actually, but i really havent even rode that long i owned the sv shit fifty for 3 weeks (stolen) it had an airtech body kit thats why, 750 for 3 months (crashed), 750 for 2 months (1 month was in the impound, stolen), 748 for 3 months (sold it 1 month after the 10), and the 10 for about 4 months now

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
stunnerific_harry said:
Xusia said:
stunnerific_harry said:
So in 2 years, you've had 5 bikes?!?
yes about 2 years actually, but i really havent even rode that long i owned the sv shit fifty for 3 weeks (stolen) it had an airtech body kit thats why, 750 for 3 months (crashed), 750 for 2 months (1 month was in the impound, stolen), 748 for 3 months (sold it 1 month after the 10), and the 10 for about 4 months now
Isn't it about time to sell it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts