• No, it could pass on stress to them

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are discussing if/how we should talk to our kids about the curent economy.

Wha'cha ya'll think?

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
I duno I think if its affecting your family and the kids are noticing then it might be worth explaining. Other than that why make them worry about stuff that is out of their control.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Since I was 5, my parents didn't hide any world conditions from me. If it was on the news and I asked I got straight answers that I could understand. Wars, stocks, political scandals if I was interested I was informed. They also watched the 5-6:30 news religiously. So I was forced to watch or I wanted to watch tv. My father was Air Force so no real job loss scare either.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
how old are your kids, 5 haha jk. i mean the question at hand is how your views right or wrong may effect their confidence and or moral upon their release into the real world. i voted yes, depending on the age. but id be very selective and tactful about it. this isnt the first time america's been in a recession. personaly, im speaking more optimisitc than i usually do about the economy and feel its in for the worst but we should give the youth hope and not in the form of a political figure either :wink:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It truly depends on their age and your purpose in telling them; you really don't give us much to work with here. What effect do you think your explanation will have on them? If they are between 3-6 they are probably not going to understand much, if they are 10 and older or a very mature 7-9, they probably already know a little bit about what's happening and would have a better grasp of what you are telling them. But more importantly is what your purpose is in telling them. Are you that bad right now that catastrophy looms around the corner and you want to prepare them for worst case scenario or is it something you think you can survive? Why put them through unnecessary stress; let them enjoy their years as children as much as possible without creating trauma for them, life as an adult is traumatic enough...

I grew-up in a very traumatic environment, it took years to recover from and I still don't think I'm fully recovered. At the age of 7-9 I was traumatized about the Vietnam War as if I could get drafted at that age and a fear of death was instilled in me. Unless truly necessary, let them be kids...

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
Kids in America have gone soft...They are more worried about being stars, musicians, and hip hop artists, instead of being SOLID contributors to America. We have fewer and fewer born engineers, doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. We need to get our kids more educated so they can and help the US compete in the future.

So yes, kids should be made aware of what is going on so that they can THINK about what the future has, how they can change it, and what they need to do about it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A good foundation will ensure that kids grow-up to be contributors. My son grew-up playing sports (Baseball & Football), far from being soft and I had no need to preoccupy him with world affairs or the economy. When he was old enough, he decided to join the Army (we were at war already), he served in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne, stayed in the reserves and is currently E-6 Drill Sergeant, and works for the U.S. Customs at JFK.

If you want to teach him about the economy so he understands it that's one thing, but if you want to paint a gloomy future, that's another...

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
these are dreadful times we are going through. Kids should know. just like my parents went through the great depression.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
well, i wouldnt say anything to a one yea rold, but older kids yes. kids are not dumb. when they see things they use to get and now they don't. they will have some questions to ask there parents.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
kids in america have gone soft...they are more worried about being stars, musicians, and hip hop artists, instead of being solid contributors to america. We have fewer and fewer born engineers, doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. We need to get our kids more educated so they can and help the us compete in the future.

So yes, kids should be made aware of what is going on so that they can think about what the future has, how they can change it, and what they need to do about it.
:+1:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here's a typical conversation all parents should have with 2-6 year old kids:

Son/Daughter, the economy is taking a toll on our lives, because we are making less money while costs continue to rise and companies are laying off people left and right, we will not be able to buy a lot of things or do as much as we used to. I don't know how long this economic downpour is going to last but you must be prepared for worst case scenario; this could possibly mean no toys or gifts for christmas and your birthday, no cable TV, you'll have to use the same clothes to school (or for a toddler) will have to use cloth diapers because we can no longer afford disposable diapers. We will try to keep a roof over our heads and food on our table for as long as possible and Daddy might even have to give-up beer and some of the things he likes but there's a good possibility he might even become homeless. I think it's important that you know that the future is very gloomy for us and we might be destined to be doomed if the economy does not improve.

Shouldn't a parent's job be to protect your children from harm and to provide to them as much as you can. Why bring them unnecessary worries? Shouldn't a parent's efforts be more towards ensuring this never happens to their child??? Here's a better lesson imo: instead of buying them everything they want when they want it, why not teach them the value of earning things and how hard work will get you everything you want in life...

Idk, that's just the way I think. A kid below 7 years old will not understand much and a very inocent minded kid 7-9 might not either. I have 3 kids all adults now and each with children of their own. My kids grew-up street smart and very aware of things but they were not traumatized with world affairs that did not directly affect them in the inocent stages of their lives other than the problems we had at home...

Keep in mind folks that I am talking about young kids here and the notion that a yound child should be robbed of his innocence and childhood at a very young age to make that child tougher and more knowledgeable of world affairs is bullshit to me. That's for the parents to worry about and shield their younger kids from not burden them with things they cannot control...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have 2 daughters - 16 and 9(yesterday). And I posted this after a discussion with my wife, whom is easily stressed with the economy.

I'm one of the "no" people and my wife (a "yes") told me to ask on the forum to get other opinions. I think as parents we should protect and educate, but not induce fear, with regards to life. Growing up with only a mother, her stress often passed along to me; which really sucked - especially when it came to finances -or- lack there of.

After reading through the replies (and calming down), I think sitting down with the kids might be beneficial; depending on the delivery, of course.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Odds are the 16 year old knows about the economy whether you've mentioned it to her or not. From the kids at high school, teachers, school staff, etc. Much less economics class if she has one.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My wife and I are discussing if/how we should talk to our kids about the curent economy.

Wha'cha ya'll think?
im gald i dont have to go thru this yet... i bet it would be really tough, but i heard on the news its a good idea to talk to your kids about it...but it really depends on their age... if they are 7 and up i would say go for it

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well, I have 2 daughters - 16 and 9(yesterday). And I posted this after a discussion with my wife, whom is easily stressed with the economy.

I'm one of the "no" people and my wife (a "yes") told me to ask on the forum to get other opinions. I think as parents we should protect and educate, but not induce fear, with regards to life. Growing up with only a mother, her stress often passed along to me; which really sucked - especially when it came to finances -or- lack there of.

After reading through the replies (and calming down), I think sitting down with the kids might be beneficial; depending on the delivery, of course.
So you definitely understand where I'm coming from. Nine is a good age as long as you do it the way you have mentioned, without instilling fear. Given this post that gives us a little more to go by I would say go for it...

Good luck!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts