Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mythical Mod of Yore
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 11 yo wants to race and i have no idea where to begin...what bikes are appropriate...where to get track time for him...nada. suggestions for resources?

·
Registered
874 Posts
See if you can find and pick up a Yamaha YSR50. My buddy had one when we were teenagers and put his moped plates on it and rode it on the street. Fast enough for a kid to get in trouble on, but much smaller and safer and safer than a full size bike.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I hope you're loaded......
50cc or a 125...best thing to do is locate the nearest racing club and enquire directly. There should be a mini racers group that you can then be given all the information you need.
Plus as we all know kids grow FAST, so once you find a club, you should be able to pick up used gear for him on the cheap. Only thing i would buy new would be a lid.

·
Administrator
6,701 Posts
I hope you're loaded......
50cc or a 125...best thing to do is locate the nearest racing club and enquire directly. There should be a mini racers group that you can then be given all the information you need.
Plus as we all know kids grow FAST, so once you find a club, you should be able to pick up used gear for him on the cheap. Only thing i would buy new would be a lid.
:+1:

Don't bother with a YSR50 unless you have a racing club near by that has a class for them. Even than, very outdated and expensive for some parts.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Look into mini bike racing. I'm getting into it myself this year. First find all the local or closest race clubs in your area. The club I'm in runs sportbike to supermotos, ysr50, nsr 50(this is apparently way better mostly because of suspension or so I'm told), supermotos from 50s to the largest 2 strokes being 92-93 cc I forget and 150cc 4 strokes. I have bought 2 minis, a 03 KTM 65SX supermoto for 1200 and a yz 85 sm for 1700. Ysr50 can be had for 900-1500 and nsr50 can be around 1500-3000. It is the cheapest form of motorsport I have found.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are in the Atanta area, right? Get on the WERA forums where you'll find some locals to point you in the right direction. I helped sponsor Alex Wisdom who started racing metrakits about that age...won 2 USGPRU National Championships last year at age 15 and riding in the Red Bull Rookies series in Europe this year. He and his parents can be reached through alexwisdomracing.com I'm sure they'd be able to give you some pointers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts