Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hello:
Now by no means does this Mod/fix resemble anything EL Diablo would claim as his own 'how-to', matter of fact not many would claim this but i wanted to share it regardless. Some have had issues with the kickstand and its ability to function as designed, i.e. hold the bike upright without having the tendency to tip over because of its neutral position once fully extended.

Sooooooooo i have taken the caveman approach in curing this problem by simply removing metal material from the mating surfaces on both the kickstand & its assoc brkt so that when its fully extended in the 'down position' it rotates farther. Now heres the caveman part so hang on for dear life. :eyecrazy:

Its not scientific but it'll work much like coonassin it huh Miykl :wink:

I used an air tool with a cutting wheel attachment to remove the material.....so let the flames begin. Yup just about anything capable of removing some material from both parts will do the trick, i.e. hand file, die grinder, roto-zip, Dremel tool W/proper attachment, etc. I would say a rough est of the amount removed was 1-2mm from both parts so don't go gettin carried away if you decide to attempt this high tech modification.
Sorry no pics or step by step procedures as i ain't gots um if'n ya gets me drift.

BD

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
I've been planning on doing that for a while now. God I'm lazy.

Ehh screw it, I'm gonna go give it a shot.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
That sounds good but I usually just prop mine up against a wall...

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Andy said:
I've been planning on doing that for a while now. God I'm lazy.

Ehh screw it, I'm gonna go give it a shot.
Take some pics Andy...

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jeech said:
I just kicked mine a couple times... really hard, until it bent.
Hell i thought i was coonass'n it......yikes!!:badteeth:

BD

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
miykl said:
That's damn near as bad as wife beating! :eek:
Wife beating doesn't hurt you foot like I bet that did...

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
I would never.......... my bike is still prone to fall over just like everyone else that hasn't done the kickstand mod

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Might take a look into it myself. In the garage it stays on a swingarm stand for fear of losing air in the tires while parked due to an undetected air leak or whatever. Never had a problem (yet) with it the sidestand. A little extra security would be nice though.

Next, it needs a stronger spring so that when doing wheelies over humps or bumps you don't hear that clunk that gives a ya a pucker.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jeech said:
I would never.......... my bike is still prone to fall over just like everyone else that hasn't done the kickstand mod
Try it you'll like it!! :thumbsup:

BD

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
ooops, i was talking about... i would never kick the bike... you thought i meant i'd never try the mod...

I may just do that... I'd feel like an ass though If i cut too much off and make the bike tip over...

I'll take a look at it though.

doing anything to a kickstand creeps me out a little.. I know the 2000 Agusta F4's were prone to having the stands just snap.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I lowered my bike cuz Im shorter than shit.... well kickstand was definately no good after that. I cut the foot off the stand, cut about 1.5-2 inches off after the foot was removed, welded the foot back on and painted black. Looks great!

btw - Miykl... an undetected "nair"? Bike hairy or something? Maybe thats why u cant catch pesky, all that hair creating wind drag!! hahah

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
Very glad that I finally did that. It leans farther over and it doesn't push forward as easily.
As for posting pics? Nah ya know how mine always end up looking like.

miykl why you using nair that stuff stinks!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
What's the issue for those who haven't had it? (so we know to be on the lookout)
The only time I ever use my kickstand is when I stop for gas or a break on a ride. Never had any problems. I keep pitbull front & rears @ home.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When the sidestand is extended the bike sits very upright so if its bumped or nudged it has the potential to roll/fall off the stand easily, hell i'd even say a strong gust of wind may be sufficient enough.

BD

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SuicideMachine said:
Even when it's engine-off in 1st? Damn!
now that posses a diff scenerio if left in gear, i personally don't do that unless its on some sort of hill/incline.
After finishing the mod it was quite clear to me (if thats possible) its a positive thing as the stand kinda locks into a position with the bike tilted over farther as opposed to upright.

BD

1 - 20 of 38 Posts