Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Funshine Bear
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every one. Im wondering if anybody can tell me if Kawi ever came out with an oiler in the 80's like the slowzukis.
Thanks... go green.:badteeth:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think mrzw70, along with myself, is confused with your term "oiler". I would also think that you're referring to a two-stroke when you say oiler. - ...do you mean oil cooler perhaps??

·
Registered
245 Posts
The GPZ 1100 which came out around 1981 was oil cooled. Later additions (not sure which years) to the range consisted of the 550, 750 and 1100. The 750 Turbo which followed was also oil cooled (I had one of these.) the GPZ 1100 was one of the first bikes to have fuel injection - It was however nortoriously unreliable and many owners resorted to putting carbs on.
A few links you can follow:
GPZ 750
750 Turbo
GPZ 1100

·
Registered
840 Posts
I didn't understand the term, hadn't heard it before. Yeah the GPZ series were traditional air cooled bikes as were the KZ's. The oil cooling thing seemed to be big with suzuki but really it was just an air cooled bike with and oil cooler bolted on and some small oil jets that sprayed up at the bottom of the pistons. I'm sure it helped but the real cooling was done with the fins.
Why are you asking anyway?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I didn't understand the term, hadn't heard it before. Yeah the GPZ series were traditional air cooled bikes as were the KZ's. The oil cooling thing seemed to be big with suzuki but really it was just an air cooled bike with and oil cooler bolted on and some small oil jets that sprayed up at the bottom of the pistons. I'm sure it helped but the real cooling was done with the fins.
I'm with you mate - the first thing that I thought when I saw the term "oiler" was that he was referring to a two stroke. (Evil oil burning monsters that they are.)
The function of the oil cooler was just as the name suggests - to cool the oil - not primarily to cool the motor. But keeping the oil down to manageable temperatures automatically helped to keep the motor's temp down as well, and, as you said, the main cooling for the motor was air cooling via the fins.
I'm not sure, but I think that the oil jet thing first came in with the introduction of the first (ugly slab sided) GSXR 750's.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I work for Toyota (TMMK) building Camry's, Avalon's and Solara's. I work in the powertrain dept. and the new GR engine (3.5 v-6) uses the same type of oil jet sprayed on the underside of the pistons as a "new" design feature. Funny that Suzuki has been doing the same thing with their bikes for 20 yrs.
;)

·
Funshine Bear
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A friend of mine has an 86 gsxr 1100 that was oil cooled and I was wondering if kawi had one. I helped him restore it. I wouldn't mind having a kawi the same. Couldn't come around to owning suzuki.:cool:

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Ah , the KZ 1000, paging Eddie Lawson. I mihad an 82, Wiseco 1075 bigbore, 36mm Mikuni flatslides, KN pod filters, head flow work, Vance and Hines pro street megaphone, and the crappiest set of Dunlop tires ever known to man. That was my first real bike, right after my Suzy Gs450L. Fairly comfortable, prety fast for an old bike, handled like shite!!

·
Funshine Bear
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The GPZ 1100 which came out around 1981 was oil cooled. Later additions (not sure which years) to the range consisted of the 550, 750 and 1100. The 750 Turbo which followed was also oil cooled (I had one of these.) the GPZ 1100 was one of the first bikes to have fuel injection - It was however nortoriously unreliable and many owners resorted to putting carbs on.
A few links you can follow:
GPZ 750
750 Turbo
GPZ 1100
How was that 750 turbo and how hard are they to find?

·
Registered
245 Posts
How was that 750 turbo and how hard are they to find?
The Turbo was a great bike mate. I had a pipe that ended below the riders footrest, but the turbo muffled most of the sound, so it wasn't outrageously loud + the whirring from the turbo as it wound down was awesome. It shamed many a 1100 and handling wasn't too bad for a bike of it's time.......except when the rear tyre was worn - then it was wobble city. I loved that bike.
Since then I've had a 900 Fireblade, an FZR1000, an R1 and then my current ZX10.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts