Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a mechanic friend who had mentioned the same type of product to me before although it was not made by 'Dano's Performance'. But supposedly this type of product does work. I would do some more research though and see if any of the more reputable companies make one. Maybe Ivan's Performance makes one?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no clue...i google as well and found yes it works and no it does'nt...would be nice to know if it really does, hopefully someone who has it will chime in..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. I will ask my mechanic friend the next time I talk to him and try to post a better response.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's ok, no hurry...seems to make sense, i would like the throttle jerks to be fixed with this part, that alone would be worth it..just to smooth it out..

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
Ivans was one of if not the first places to make a plug n play TRE for the zuk's and kawi's. There's quite a few threads across the forum on the timing retarders.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
there's a 20 page thread on TRE's here...that'll give you all the info u need, sorry i don't have the link though, in a hurry, need to ride!

·
Squid wannabe
6,073 Posts
Do not waste your money on TRE's you can build 5 of them for 99 cents at radio shack!!!
hahah true

Some people just dont have the skill to cut and solder wires. Or they dont trust their skill to do so.
Id buy a ignition module tho, it is alot more money, but there alot more gains to be made

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I dont even trust those, would rather have the ECU sent out to be flashed for best performance but its still close to 400 bucks ya know :-/

·
Registered
338 Posts
So how do you make one?? did a quick search but didn't come up with anything definite. Im a pretty decent electrician so wouldn't mind knowing more!

·
Registered
7 Posts
From what is inside the ECU for the 04-05 ZX10, they use 5 ignition maps.
1 map for all cylinders in neutral.
1 map for cyl 1 used in 1st through 6th gear
1 map for cyl 2 used in 1st through 6th gear
1 map for cyl 3 used in 1st through 6th gear
1 map for cyl 4 used in 1st through 6th gear

The TRE makes the ECU think it is in neutral all of the time, so it uses the neutral ignition map all of the time. The neutral map has more aggressive ignition timing in the lower RPM range, so it will help in that area.

Now the downside... Since it thinks it's in neutral all of the time, the neutral secondary throttle maps are used instead of the correct maps and the fuel compensation for ram air are not used, so the faster you go, the leaner the bike runs.

In case you were wondering, the 06 and newer ZX10s do not have a seperate neutral ignition map and only use the 4 individual cylinder maps in all gears, including neutral. There is no change in ignition timing when using a TRE on these bikes and you still have the same downsides as the 04-05 ZX10.

This is not anyone's opinion. This is what is in the ECU.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Don Guhl
Guhl Motors

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
From what is inside the ECU for the 04-05 ZX10, they use 5 ignition maps.
1 map for all cylinders in neutral.
1 map for cyl 1 used in 1st through 6th gear
1 map for cyl 2 used in 1st through 6th gear
1 map for cyl 3 used in 1st through 6th gear
1 map for cyl 4 used in 1st through 6th gear

The TRE makes the ECU think it is in neutral all of the time, so it uses the neutral ignition map all of the time. The neutral map has more aggressive ignition timing in the lower RPM range, so it will help in that area.

Now the downside... Since it thinks it's in neutral all of the time, the neutral secondary throttle maps are used instead of the correct maps and the fuel compensation for ram air are not used, so the faster you go, the leaner the bike runs.

In case you were wondering, the 06 and newer ZX10s do not have a seperate neutral ignition map and only use the 4 individual cylinder maps in all gears, including neutral. There is no change in ignition timing when using a TRE on these bikes and you still have the same downsides as the 04-05 ZX10.

This is not anyone's opinion. This is what is in the ECU.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Don Guhl
Guhl Motors
2 Questions:
1: How much timing difference is it?

2: If someone had the secondary plates removed would tuning solve the lean problem or will the intake pressure sensor still make that mixture leaner?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts