Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i just purchased a zx10r 2013 kawasaki and last night i noticed a coolant leak. The hole is very tiny but its losing a lot of coolant over time. My debate is wether i shouls replace the radiator (1100)$ from dealer or try to fix the hole. Anyone had that issue before? If i fix it would it leak again? Would it last? Ideas? Please and thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked with them, they can fix it for like 70$ but i dunno if it gonna last

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
If they are willing to plug the hole in the smaller curved radiator, go ahead with it. Some places work on the larger rectangular car radiators and not the curved ones we have. It won't be a problem long-term though. Straightening the fins and keeping it protected from rocks so it doesn't happen again is the problem. That's likely what caused the leak in the first place.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I patched mine. Sent off to a place that specializes in MC rad's. Prob local shop ok too.

Been holding for a couple years now.

There's no way I was going to spend 1000 on new rad. If I had to replace instead of
patch I'd prob try one of the China made ones for like 250-300 I saw one on a bike
and wasn't bad.

I then immediately put a Rad Guard on both my bikes.

Rad Guard way nicer the Cox Rad Guard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i am thinking of doing the same, i just worry that one it might not last, two some peole say that the bike will be running high because of the patch. But it looks the most affordable option to be honest.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
Yeah i am thinking of doing the same, i just worry that one it might not last, two some peole say that the bike will be running high because of the patch. But it looks the most affordable option to be honest.
Typically patching the radiator will seal the leak and block that coolant passage. It may run a bit hotter because of that. It shouldn't be a problem, but it may run a bit hotter. Just something to be aware of with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see, i guess that would be the only bad thing. I don’t know exactly where the leak is on the rad, but do you know if there are places on the rad that cannot be fixed at all?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,333 Posts
I see, i guess that would be the only bad thing. I don’t know exactly where the leak is on the rad, but do you know if there are places on the rad that cannot be fixed at all?
More than likely it's what is shown in Bottoms-up's pics. A rock gets kicked up off the front tire and whacks the radiator and causes the leak on the coolant channel there and bends the fins back. If the whole radiator is aluminum, then everything should be patchable if they can get to it. Some car radiators and some bike radiators use plastic side tanks on them. Those can't be sealed using the standard procedure. This isn't like that though.

They'll find the leak by submerging the whole thing in water and blowing low-pressure air into it. Where the bubbles come from is where they'll patch it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see! Sounds good, thanks a lot for the help. I really got to fix it and get back on the road

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I ran mine through the insurance company and they paid the claim for a new radiator, water and labor. $250 deductible comprehensive. Showed them the radiator with a dent in the fins where it was leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, i just purchased a zx10r 2013 kawasaki and last night i noticed a coolant leak. The hole is very tiny but its losing a lot of coolant over time. My debate is wether i shouls replace the radiator (1100)$ from dealer or try to fix the hole. Anyone had that issue before? If i fix it would it leak again? Would it last? Ideas? Please and thanks
take it out but first identify exactly where the leak is from then take out the radiator and scrap off the fins only at the location of the hole in the vicinity of the hole and the use JB weld. i did that my self on my GEN 1 2005 ZX-10R my radiator is 929 canadian dollars plus labour. i fixed it myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts