Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I my friend is selling his 2008 zx10r.
He ran it for a couple of years in drag racing.
Bike was stock apart from power commander, exhaust and an extended swing arm.

Never had an issues or crashes. Apart from having to replace the head bearings.

Would you consider it?
What concerns me are all those standing starts and manic shifting run on run.

What could be wrong with the bike?

Thank you

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
It would depend on the price he's offering it. I wouldn't be worried about the motor at all aside from the clutch. When subjected to drag racing, these bikes have a tendency to break the clutch basket rivets. Most drag racers remove the clutch basket and replace/weld the rivets so there's no chance of them breaking. If he's gone years in this sort of environment without issue, then it's not likely to just break on you. But the price you pay should allow some room to repair the clutch should it break. The clutch plates are likely to be worn pretty good too.

Chain, sprocket, tires, etc would be normal wear items, but would be at a higher rate of wear also. If the price was right and the bike checks out, I wouldn't shy away from it. If he's expecting top-dollar for the sale though, it probably wouldn't be my first choice. Hopefully he's giving you the "good buddy discount" it deserves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply.

I did not deal with him yet as he is a friend and I want to check if I want to go for it or not.

Some people also mentioned to me that suspension would be possibly shot.
I am not into drag racing but they mentioned to me straps to hold bike down and lower it.

Also what about the gearbox? Any issue with that?

To me it looks fine and all standard.

What is your opinion please?

·
Registered
569 Posts
If you are not going to drag race the bike, why buy one setup for it? I would pass on this bike unless you will be taking it to and from the drag strip on a trailer. If you have cash, you are in good shape. Hunt craigslist until you find what you really want. Or go put a down payment on a 2016 KRT ZX10R. ?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Go test ride it... speculating otherwise is a waste of your time. I've seen race bikes with many seasons on them that are well maintained and are damn near flawless. I've seen low-mileage street-only bikes that are absolutely trash from non-maintaining neanderthals. If you don't know what to look for in a used bike, bring along someone honest who does..... it's worth all the extra effort in the world.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Im curiois about what obijack brought up, are you actually looking for a drag bike? Ive spent a lot of time with my Gen 1 on the strip and it never complained. Wear items are going to have accelerated wear, like AkyDork said, but if its been looked after, it should be fine. If youre looking into getting into drag racing, expect stuff to probably break at some point. Nature of the beast, so to speak. As long as its been looked after, it should be just fine. Should not be a top dollar bike most likely, mods dont necessarily add value to the bike unless its a very specific buyer, but thats not an advantage to the seller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts