Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to borrow/rent the Kawasaki Special tool 57001-1094 Ring Compressor.
I bought one but I need another to install the pistons into my cylinders on my 96 zx9r.
I'd gladly pay shipping both ways plus whatever it'd be worth borrowing it for 3 to 5 days.
I have flat rate boxes ready to go and paypal ready as well.
Please help out a fellow zx'er.
email - [email protected]

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never thought of that!
3" hose clamps would probably help me.
Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
usually 4 or larger is wide enough to compress all rings at same time. oil piston, tighten snug but loose enough clamp will slide, get it straight in bores and ur good.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hose clamp didnt work.
It got the 2 compression rings in (which can be easily done by hand if need be) but the oil rings would not go in without the use of the special tool. It almost damaged the waffle ring in the process. The problem is the hose clamp does not fit into the taper at the bottom of the cylinders which is where the oil rings pop out just before you crank the piston in.
Going to have to pull the trigger on another special tool as the local dealer would not part with theirs even for 1 hr. time.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
waffle shaped oil ring expander is not a problem, unless it has overlapped itself on the ends, easy to do. oil rings will not fit then. pistons square in bore, oil rings should go right in with clamps and chamferred cyl. bore. use what u need, don't want to smear a oil ring in bore.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Have not done a bike engine since 1971 or so.

However, from the youtube vid, if the pistons and rods go in from the top of the cylinder, an automotive style ring compressor should work fine. The hose clamp should also work fine, just takes some finesse. The oil ring should go first and if properly assembled should fit, and the top two rings are less prone to catching. Gotta have it square and lubed, and be quick and decisive, but ready to stop if a ring hangs. Last I did was a 350 Chevy with my 25 year old ring compressor, and it is still running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts