Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to compile a list of people who have the front end shudder/shimmy under braking so I can forward the complaint to KHI ,even if the shimmy is moderate please post as this problem wont fix itself and doesnt get any better.

Complaint

2005 ZX10R , bad front end shimmy under braking , worse with EBC pads , not so bad with stock pads but still there.

Currently :standard ride heights , shocks and springs ,EBC HH pads and Galfer lines stock master cylinder, Aftermarket Dunlop Qualifier tires.

Excessive front tire degradation and poor stopping and handling.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Let me lower the setting on my steering damper for my riding home from work and I'll chime in tomorrow if I have the same problem.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a list somewhere of members who have already had this problem, if you wish to participate post here.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
KHI fixed this problem; they made a new generation bike.

Unless its a outright safety issue that something is gonna fall apart they are not gonna touch it. The 04-05 is old technology in the eyes of KHI; and sad to say so it the 06-07 as likely a revised bike is on the way.

Kawi is surely not going to do anything to resolve and issue of a bike with aftermarket parts such as ebc pads.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KHI fixed this problem; they made a new generation bike.

Unless its a outright safety issue that something is gonna fall apart they are not gonna touch it. The 04-05 is old technology in the eyes of KHI; and sad to say so it the 06-07 as likely a revised bike is on the way.

Kawi is surely not going to do anything to resolve and issue of a bike with aftermarket parts such as ebc pads.
Problem is , I have a list of members who have the problem with stock brakes too, and as "old" as the bikes are I have had the problem since the end of 05 as have many others, I also have a few zx14 owners on the list too.

Its always worth a shot and also a thing to remember is that Kawasaki havent recognised the problem from 04 to 07 , so why change for 08 ?

I have 11 05 owners on the list , 26 06 owners and a handful of zx14 owners.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is an outright safety issue, no doubt about it, you have to see it to believe it or feel it to be more precise , the shuddering can be pretty evil and when you see what it does to a front tire you will be thinking "safety issue".

I didnt even notice my tire until I washed the bike one day, then everything showed up in the sun.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
when it was stock there was shimmer. 2004

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still stock on my '06. I've noticed a little shimmy, but nothing too bad. Go ahead and throw me down as well.
Will do, my bike had done it with stock pads but not as bad as there wasnt as much bite, the trouble is it starts to wear the tire into lateral ridges after a while, this then leads to a bigger shudder because of the tire wear and then that in turn wears the tire even more until the tire is junk.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
hmmmmm.....My 05 never had this issue with stock or EBC HH brake pads....Could it be something is amiss with your suspension setup??

Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmmm.....My 05 never had this issue with stock or EBC HH brake pads....Could it be something is amiss with your suspension setup??

Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.
Went back to factory ride heights and settings and no change , as I said not all bikes do it and some do it straight from the showroom.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Guys you need to increase the rebound and compression a click or 2. Just the forks compressed out under heavy braking. I had it when I fitted brembos and got the shudders. A click here a click there, problem solved.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 04 has also shimmy. What i understand, the problem is due stuck floating pins. The disks do not float freely enough. There may be sand and rubber pieces between, and the pins are seized. Try to spin the pins which connects the disk onto centerpiece. They should rotate easily. To get the pins moving free, spin the pins with electrik drill using piece of rubber hose.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have never had this problem. But I think when gathering data to send to Kawasaki, perhaps you should also find out what brand of front tire is/was on the bike when it had this characteristic. There may be a link to tire brands.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am trying to compile a list of people who have the front end shudder/shimmy under braking so I can forward the complaint to KHI ,even if the shimmy is moderate please post as this problem wont fix itself and doesnt get any better.
FAF

We conversed about this some time ago. Since then I have (well I believe I have) found the problem. Well lets say I know how to make it go away, it is the bushes in the fork uppers, they are referred to as DU Bushes. Kawasaki has bushes with a rather small contact area when compared to some other brands out there, which good for stiction reduction is not so good for rigidity.

A DU bush has a hard backing (usually steel) a softer mid layer (usually a lead or bronze alloy of some description) with a PTFE coating on them. On all the forks I have seen exhibiting this problem the sizing of the bushes has been on the loose side. If the forks have not been out of the bike you can "feel" when the fork has the spring removed which way round the fork has been fitted there is significantly more movement in the plane of the braking loads, on some forks this is very visible!

It seems to me that if the bushes are just loose enough to allow for the symptomatic sympathetic vibration to start up. Given the energetic nature of the vibration / oscillation the soft mid layer deforms allowing for the vibration to become worse over time as the bush deforms. I have a quantity of bushes that I had made to a tighter tolerance with a more mechanically rigid mid layer. To date all of the bikes I have fitted these bushes to have not been symptomatic since having the bushes fitted, I will concede that its early days but I expect that I have found and fixed the problem.

I did try the stock bushes and they seem to have only provided a "semi permanent" fix in about 50% of cases to date. Given that some biles don't develop this problem until they are getting to 20K's I am beginning to think it is a problem that is going to affect all (or pretty much all) bikes eventually. And I am now expecting the bikes with the replacement stock bushes to have this problem again in the future.

Tyre choice, fork internal choice seems to have no bearing on the vibration. You can however hide the problem by lowering the ride height thus making the forks effectively shorter and by doing so raising their natural resonate frequency above the threshold of where the problematic sympathetic vibration starts. This is only a band aid and not a fix.

To date I can supply details (read frame numbers, and owners) of 17 bikes that have had this problem. While KHI make a fine product I think this issue needs addressing, anything I can do to help just ask.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts