Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Holy S, that thing is awesome.

2 strokes have never been outlawed, they just kinda disappeared because no one bought them (and they couldn't meet emissions standards for street bikes). I think there's some people out there that realize though, that for an MX bike, a 2 stroke makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sure how many will shell out $12k for a dirtbike....but then again....it is the baddest one on the block.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Service honda has been doing that for years!! You can get the the cr500 engine framed with the 250F. 225lbs 500cc machine!

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
It's not street legal, so it's not subject to on-highway emission regulations. From what I can gather, it is not actually a production Kawasaki model. There are some emission requirements for off-highway engines that the major manufacturers have to follow, but one-off and low-quantity stuff either isn't subject to those requirements, or they ARE subject to the requirements but slip through the cracks because nobody's checking up on them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You can't get a green sticker in California for any two stroke. Closed course competition only.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can't get a green sticker in California for any two stroke. Closed course competition only.
Actually, Service Honda offers a CR500AFX. Which is a CRF250X frame (green sticker frame) paired with a CR500R engine (grandfathered into the green sticker program) allowing it to retain its California green sticker legal status.

http://www.servicehonda.com/honda-2010-models/500afx

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wow that is awesome but damn the price tag alone will kill ya. Why can't they make another h1 or h2 I would buy one today.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
thats cool, i bet that thing can fly.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It's not street legal, so it's not subject to on-highway emission regulations. From what I can gather, it is not actually a production Kawasaki model. There are some emission requirements for off-highway engines that the major manufacturers have to follow, but one-off and low-quantity stuff either isn't subject to those requirements, or they ARE subject to the requirements but slip through the cracks because nobody's checking up on them.
The Service company has been making these for 15yrs that I know of. They are slipping thru the cracks because of low production quantity. When 2 stroke off roaders were the norm, the few 4 strokes out there became interesting because they were in the minority. Now we see the reverse happening. Build a single cyl diesel offroader with an auto trans and you will be the king of weird

1 - 14 of 14 Posts