Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
K&N makes for an extremely easy install of their new KA1004 air filter for the 10R. Install requires removal of back seat and gas tank. For ease we removed fuel lines attached to the tank. Total install took about 15 min. I took the liberty of tightening all the loose allen nuts from the vibration of the orange beast. I also lubed my chain and did other various little maintenance checks.

First reaction after getting the filter on and going out for a ride. Wow! This thing pulls HARD. The filter really makes a diff. It's pretty cold here right now, about 39 degrees today, and so the roads weren't very warm at all. I tried a clutch wheelie and only succeeded in laying down about 20ft patch of rubber along the road, but when the tires finally grabbed traction I pulled the throttle all the way and was pleasantly surprised to have the front end come up with much more ease. Been awhile since I was out for a ride and I had the biggest cheesiest grin under my helmet the whole time. I freaking love this bike!

Pics are here: http://www.bc-design.com/air_filter.zip

Enjoy ...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Sounds more, like you took a placebo. I didn't notice crap when I put my BMC in.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I also think my bike is too slow. It used to scare me, but now I find myself at the rev limiter more times than not. I guess that's what 4500' will do ( to my head and the bike).

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Sweet man happy to hear of the result I can honestly say I dont think I ever heard anyone say enything like that about the BMC. No offense to you BMC guys, anyway I have always run K&N's and everytime I have felt a diffrence

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I really don't think I'm smoking anything here. I'm at about 4600ft in elevation up in these mtns, but with the cold air it really pulls good. I made sure I ran a stretch of road I was real familiar with just before the K&N install, and then I ran the same stretch right after. The sucker really does pull harder. I noticed the same difference on my R6 when I did the K&N on that as well. Those K&N boys really know what they're doing and have a great product.

Anyone else riding all year around? I'm in Utah and it gets a little nippy at times, but not enough to keep me off the road. As long as the roads are dry and I got my gear its great.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cool man, looks like I'll be ordering the K&N soon. Almost half the price of the BMC! Yeah we ride year round over here in NorCal. It was a little chilly today, but we all rode up the mountains anyways. Plus everyone doin wheelies on the freeway really gets the blood warm! BTW, I like the custom tank prop!:)

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I also put a K&N in.... my filter was pretty dirty when it was replaced so that could attribute to it also, however I did notice a good power difference.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
To each his own, but any tuner I have ever talked to has said that aftermarket air filters of any brand are a waste of money. At the most they might add 1 or 2 hp at high revs. And unless mucho tuning is done to the bike, hp can be lost compared to the relatively cheap oem filter.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Where did you get it? I have tried but nobody has it yet.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Phastone,

with all the crap flying around out there with people saying this and that about what aftermarket does this and what does that the only thing you can really do is see for yourself. All I can tell you is what I've experienced with both times I've done a K&N on my bikes and its been a noticeable difference. Plus just looking at the original stock filter I feel so much better having the nicer K&N in there. Plus I can clean it and keep it well oiled and I know that it'll do a better job of catching the crap in the air than the original filter as well.

Don't take my word for it though. You ought to just get one and see for yourself. You can always resell it if you are not impressed.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah, reusability is a big factor!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Just ordered mine directly from the site. Thanx 4 d link bchild! Total came out to $45.47 shipped in Cali.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Ivan has tested them for us and got squat. My local tuner said with a custom tune you can get 1hp more...not worth it IMO...but your use may vary. The higher flow filters do not filter as much crap and will let more stuff into the engine, so you should change your oil more frequently.

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I also got it for re-usability, but like I said there was a noticable difference, which im sure is also contributed to the dirty old filter. To each his own, but the re-usability makes it well worth the money in my eyes. I bought it direct from K&N

1 - 20 of 48 Posts