Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was approaching a blind left curve but a full size truck pulling an open 16 ft trailer. He taking up the entire road. I grabbed the brakes and went left as he tried to pull in his driveway. I almost made but side swiped the back of his trailer hitting the fork and busting the frame slider out breaking the ear off the frame. The bike stayed up and I don't have a scratch on me. If the frame is damaged, will it be totaled? It has over 12,000 miles on it and I've put about $3,700 in it. If it's totaled, what should I get, new zx6r, new zx10r, or wait for the new GSXR 1000 or the new cbr1000rr?

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's terrifying. If you track get a built gen 4 it should be about 9.5-10k. If you have any money left get another bike for the street.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've cracked the frame ear off mine in a crash on track thanks to frame sliders. I was fortunate to weld it back together and it recently held up in a second crash. Depending on the break, it is likely the frame is totaled beyond repair.

If you plan to ride street, the 600 is a much more fun toy to ride. If you track, anything would be fun - just pick what you like and fit the best on.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The new GSXR1000 will be out early 2017, but you will pay a premium for a new bike. Maybe get a Gen 5 zx10r or a 16+ R1. I really like the Duc 959 in arctic white and the 675R for track bikes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would say the Gen 5 ZX10r! But it will be interesting to see what the new suzuki gsxr 1000 has in store for us if you can wait for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If totaled I say Gen 5 or H2 depending on your $$$ but waiting is always an option... I had a R1 loved it but sold it to become a ninja :helmet:, friend of mine sold his R1 for a s1000rr and he's very happy... new gsxr... i mean so many choices...v:dontknow:

·
Registered
966 Posts
If totaled I say Gen 5 or H2 depending on your $$$ but waiting is always an option... I had a R1 loved it but sold it to become a ninja :helmet:, friend of mine sold his R1 for a s1000rr and he's very happy... new gsxr... i mean so many choices...v:dontknow:
LOL what year R1?

·
Registered
355 Posts
It would likely be totaled if you turned it into your insurance company with frame damage. I have heard of an insurance company replacing a frame without writing the whole bike off but it is usual. If you do that, be prepared for your rates to go up drastically. Even if the bike isn't totaled, making an insurance claim is going to cost you a lot of money in the long run. It may be worthwhile asking your friendly local dealer to quote a frame replacement before you turn it in to your insurance company.

If you ride mostly street and are wanting to try something different, I'd say go and test ride an S1000RR. If you wanted to keep all your parts that you've already purchased you might be able to find a smoking deal on a leftover gen4 for sale some place. I think my gen4 was the best all-day street bike I've ever ridden, but the BMW is a very close second place. I don't have any first hand knowledge about the gen5, or the unreleased Honda or Suzuki for that matter so I'll just shut up about them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts