Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got what I thought was a smoking deal for $9180 OTD! I sold my 2006 Gixxer 1000 some time ago and I've been dying not being able to ride so I said, It's time to buy a new damn bike!

Thing is I've always been a Gixxer guy and didn't like Kawi's cuz I always heard they didn't handle quite as good as the other bikes, but they had awesome motors. Now, it looks like Kawasaki has brought balance into their lineup with these bikes and they offer great handling to go with killer motors. On top of that, I couldn't find a better deal than what i got. It was tempting to wait for the 2010 model but at MSRP of $12,999 I saved about 5K. I can put that saved money towards mods anyway.

Initial Impressions after first ride:

Awesome! Just took out tonight for a quick 40 mile ride and nothing crazy, just breaking in the bike and varying RPM's, so no whacking the throttle just yet. But I can tell once I do this bikes gonna deliver a vicious hit. Handling was superb on corners with good feedback up through the front. Good flickability which I was surprised at. Bike is alot narrower than my Gixxer 1000 and feels like I can toss it around easier. Throttle response was smooth but didn't have the same grunt down low as my Gixxer, but get it up to 6K RPM's and she starts to go.

Build quality is fantastic and improved from earlier gens, looks like Kawi is has caught up to and even passed the Gixxer. Handling and chassis has finally caught up with the monster Kawi motor. Not too impressed with the Ohlins Damper which is disappointing, even on max clicks I don't feel crap for stiffness. I like the white face gauge, easy to read and looks a a hell of alot better than the CBR 1000 gauges. I'm glad I bought this bike and the time was right for a change. Kawasaki is really making some great bikes and the 2008 ZX-10R is a beast just waiting to be ridden hard which is what I intend to do once she's broken in.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
although ive always been a kawi fan, i agree with you about this gen being more of a total package. the 1st gen is still such a beast, and the second gen is super comfortable, but kawi is going towards track orientation and i like that.

Congrats on the new ride man, im sure once you start opening her up more you will just get happier and happier!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats. I also came from a Gixxer and have never looked back. This bike wakes up at 6K RPMs. Just wait until after the break in period, the smile never comes off!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Awesome! Glad you were able to put that "it doesn't handle as well" thing to rest. I'm coming off Ducati 748 which was superb at handling and once you learn the 08/09 10R and get a feel for the bike, I would say the handling is really in the #2 of stock production liter bikes under $20k. Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Sweeeet, I got the same general impressions of the zx as yourself when I 1st got it. Since it's broken in I just get this grin everytime I ride it. Its getting too cold and damp to ride anymore for this season. Up here in the north anyway. Will take the down time this winter to mod her up a bit. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey welcome to the kawi community! I'm sure you'll love the bike even more once you get through the break in period. 6k-10k its a freakin beast. 3rd gen zx10s also handle extremely well, you will not be disappointed in the twisties. As far as the damper, just get it revalved or throw in some thicker oil and it's good as new.

4thkawa:
He's in AZ, there is no downtime.

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
4thkawa:
He's in AZ, there is no downtime.[/QUOTE]

Damn, got to go down south one of these winters.:smile:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Welcome to the world of the BEAST!!! Bike is an animal after the break in period say about 2500 miles and 3 oil changes that's what I did. I did ride the bike pretty hard not bouncing off the rev limiter but did see the shift light...

Agreed, the Gixxer has nice down low grunt... It's after 6000 rpm where the ZX10 is a pure beast!!!

Enjoy and congrats!!! Let us know when you see the 189MPH indicated on the dash :hello:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I havent been able to wipe the grin off my face since i bought my 09 zx10,shes definately an animal 6k onwards :rockwoot:

·
Registered
308 Posts
That is a great price for AZ. I shopped the state and could not get that deal at the time I bought mine. These bikes are great.

·
Registered
312 Posts
:welcome:...to the green side brother. There is a boundless ammount of good folks and good knowledge on here. Enjoy your stay...:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh sorry! I saw I scored on my new ZX10r and thought maybe somebody got laid! Promise you will love this bike more than any other you have owned. And it will get you laid, unless you married like me. Enjoy and welcome to the exclusive club of Kawasaki!

·
Registered
447 Posts
got me laid already, she just got divorced and wanted a piece, I obliged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's some pics of the beast, the guy in the background just delivered the bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts