Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, i just recently replaces front/rear sprocket and chain. Running it on the rear stands, the chain seems to bind just a bit. Just wondering if this is normal, and if not, any ideas what may be causing this?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
did you set the chain at the right tension? It could be too tight

·
Registered
825 Posts
Joining link?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you set the chain at the right tension? It could be too tight
I've gone both ways with it. Played with the tension for awhile to no avail. when i eyeball the chain from the back tire it seems to pull to the right ever so slightly towards the front sprocket. Like the sprocket got sucked in to far or something?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not normal at all. It should freely spin all the way around.

Things to check:

-Make sure the chain/sprockets are the right ones (dont run a 530 chain on a 520 sprocket etc, sounds dumb but it has happened)

-Make sure the chain is the correct length

-Make sure the rear tire is perfectly aligned (try measuring from the swing arm to be sure)

-Make sure the chain isnt to tight (with you sitting on it I believe there should be about 3/4" play half way between the sprockets)

If none of those work then you might have a tight spot in the chain which does happen but that can cause failure of the chain due to "Chain slapping"

EDIT: Make sure you didnt put the front sprocket on backwards, I have seen that done and it causes the chain alignment to go all out of whack.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you definitely want to have it checked before you try and ride it...a chain breaking at speed can cause serious damage to you AND your bike man

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
i'm assuming you cut the chain and pressed the master link on? is it a clip or fivet style master" if it's a rivet style then i have seen guys in the past who've pressed the master too hard when flaring out the ends of the link posts and it ends up making the master tight on the 2 connecting links on the chain it's joined too which in turn will cause it to bind or almost want to "jump" off-over the front sprocket. if everything seems fine i would take the rear rim back off, check the front sprocket and chain good then re-install. like both members above stated, the chain should spin freely when you turn the wheel and you don't want the chain too tight, i have seen and heard horror stories of slung chains doing all kinds of shit to the bike,locking up in the front sprocket or even worse the rear wheel, wrapping around the rider and-or passengers legs,and even flying into a bike behind a buddy of mine once at very high speed.....nothing good came from that one. best of luck and it's probably something simple. make sure you count the marker lines on the swingarm and that they match up on each side when adjusting the chain AND 99.9% of the time the chain will still tighten a bit more once you torque down the axle nut.i always adjust my chain with the axle nut pretty snug just for this very reason.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm assuming you cut the chain and pressed the master link on? is it a clip or fivet style master" if it's a rivet style then i have seen guys in the past who've pressed the master too hard when flaring out the ends of the link posts and it ends up making the master tight on the 2 connecting links on the chain it's joined too which in turn will cause it to bind or almost want to "jump" off-over the front sprocket. if everything seems fine i would take the rear rim back off, check the front sprocket and chain good then re-install. like both members above stated, the chain should spin freely when you turn the wheel and you don't want the chain too tight, i have seen and heard horror stories of slung chains doing all kinds of shit to the bike,locking up in the front sprocket or even worse the rear wheel, wrapping around the rider and-or passengers legs,and even flying into a bike behind a buddy of mine once at very high speed.....nothing good came from that one. best of luck and it's probably something simple. make sure you count the marker lines on the swingarm and that they match up on each side when adjusting the chain AND 99.9% of the time the chain will still tighten a bit more once you torque down the axle nut.i always adjust my chain with the axle nut pretty snug just for this very reason.
Its a rivet style master. I did press it pretty tight, but i kept the protective spacers in it. Tomorrow im gonna bust out the impact and flip the front sprocket around. I'm hoping it is on backwards.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its a rivet style master. I did press it pretty tight, but i kept the protective spacers in it. Tomorrow im gonna bust out the impact and flip the front sprocket around. I'm hoping it is on backwards.....
Best of luck, Let us know your outcome.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
sprocket alignment

ck to be sure your replacement countershaft sprocket is made like original.. some are not. they will fit splines but offset may be different, installed with the offset backwards, as stated, or thinner const, in spline area requiring spacing to align chain. out of line chain will bind on front more and wear quickly. ur describing this cond. when u say chain is out of sight alignment, pitched inward toward frt. sprocket. you will have to correct with steel washers or machine spacers avaliable at some hardware, and most specialty hardware stores. regardless, bring that chain in alignment, this is often overlooked when replacing sprockets. hope this helps.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What brand of new chain? EK by any chance?
Yeah, its an EK. I took the sprocket out yesterday. It was in correctly. Havent tried to toss it in backwards yet to see if that helps. I've got a wrecked 10r that had a 520 conversion, like my new set up, so i robbed the front sprocket off of that one and was having the same issue. Starting to think that its gonna be a master link issue, although the chain does seems to be pulling to the right just a bit up front. I'm gonna have to take a closer look at that this afternoon.....

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i said i would update you guys when i got it working. Unfortunately i have no idea what the problem was. I tinkered around for probably 2-3 hours with no luck. Came back the next day just to tighten everything up and take it to the shop, and low and behold, the chain was running smooth. Not a trace of binding? LOL. Thanks for all the input guys, my guess is still that the master was a little tight, and it must have loosened up as i ran it on the rear stand. :dontknow:

·
Registered
905 Posts
still sounds suspicious. you sure you want your masterlink "loosening" especially when the bike hasnt been ridden yet. I would do a little more investigating

1 - 20 of 20 Posts