Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
I doubt my attempt to post the pic will work, so one of the computer gurus will have to help. I live near some nice twisty roads here that many of the squids try to ride above their limits. I was out ridin with a budy and saw a couple cars stopped and 1 guy lookin around in the tall weeds in the ditch, I noticed a flash of shiny red deep in da bushes. Stopped imediately and ran over to the bike. Smashed R1 on top of rider dude is in shock, no helmet wearin mesh jacket. We lifted the bike off him and his right leg was 90 degrees from straight. He had been drinkin all nite and didn't want paramedic/ police help. I asked him if his head or neck hurt and he said no, get me the fuck outta here. So we proceed to get him stood up on one leg and he starts complainin severely about his left arm, guess what, dislocated shoulder. So I hang his good arm around my neck, his buddy keeps the FUBARed leg stabil, and we carry him to his other buddies car/ghetto ambulance all the while he keeps passsin out and screamin about his leg and arm when he's conscious. After they drop him off at the hospital his buddy calls me to pick up the bike, which we did. So I ask a few questions----30 day tag, expired, he had passed another rider and then wrecked, other rider just thought he took of and went home, so the dude laid in the ditch for 20-30 mins before he called the guy who found him. I don't know how he survived with no helmet? I see this shit way to much as I live near Ft. Riley and these military guys have to much money and no skills or common sense. I have done this 2 times in the last 2 months, and summer hasn't even really started. I will post up when I get a report on his status, I hope he pulls through. Worst part is, he may get a DUI, he left the scene, the bike was removed from the scene, and his tag was expired. Who knows if he even had insurance?:headshake :bd: :dontknow:

Attachments

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:badteeth: Sent the rest of the pics to Tread, hopefully they will show up. I have tried posting pics in the method discribed on a sticky here, but no luck. I is puter illiterate.:badteeth:

·
MIA Ex-Mod
3,051 Posts
:badteeth: Sent the rest of the pics to Tread, hopefully they will show up. I have tried posting pics in the method discribed on a sticky here, but no luck. I is puter illiterate.:badteeth:
I fixed the links in first post.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I see this shit way to much as I live near Ft. Riley and these military guys have to much money and no skills or common sense. :
:+1:

I hate to say it but its the same thing here in FL. I work on Hurlburt Field, near Eglin AFB, and I see this all day loong.

Very sad...

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have nothing against the military guys, it just seems like it's either them or the college guys wreckin. Most of them wearing little or no gear.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I have nothing against the military guys, it just seems like it's either them or the college guys wreckin. Most of them wearing little or no gear.
Care to elaborate on Military Guys? Military safety and Rules is different for every branch of service, Department in that Branch, Commander of a Base, Fort, etc., Commander of a Unit, squadron, platoon etc...that enforces the rules from higher ups.

I know one thing that got me to change in my earlier years when Helmets where not even law....the Air Force came down first and said you will wear one or if you don't and get hurt you will be prosecuted and may be liable for all health costs if you get hurt outside of the Base or on base.

I know the rules always change but in my years in Active duty and stationed at so many Air Force bases almost all the time I had to produce a MSF card to ride on the base(Get a sticker), have a safety vest sometimes and always a helmet on, plus no shorts but proper riding gear... if I wanted a sticker to ride on the base, sometimes even have to take the MSF again.

So, basically what I am saying is it's not a so called Military Issue it's a local Military Issue if there is a high concentration or motorcycle deaths or wrecks, as it is the Commanders that govern the High Risk Military Members riding Motorcycles. Some Branches of service and Units have much better safety records than others. In the Air Force at least I know even commanders can loose their job when it comes to Safety, Education and Enforcement of the rules especially when deaths occur under their command. .....my .02..rant over.

bloo

·
Registered
937 Posts
I work on a SF base so there is all types...
To get on base you must wear gear - but once they are off base they act like most ppl act like they dont even owns jeans or shoes....

Tshirt, shorts and flops!!

But some guys do wear thier gear - so Im not trying to offend everyone! :thumbsup:

I just copied this from Eglin AFB new policy... I few characters got messed up from the .pdf copy - but you get the point.

Eglin AFB's Anti-Squid Policy

SUBJECT: Motorcycle Rider Safety Requirements

1. Due to increased concern for the safety of Eglin motorcycle riders, I am directing these rider
visibility and safetyr equirements.T his is an interim measureu ntil the AAC Supplementto AFI
91-207i s reviseda nd published. Theser equirementsa re applicablet o all operatorsa nd
passengeros f motorcycles,m opedsa nd motorizeds cootersw hile operatingo n the Eglin AFB
Installation and Reservation. The operator will not place the vehicle in motion until the
requirements below have been met.
a. Rider visibility and garnlent requirements:
(1) Long sleeve upper garment: Front torso and back side of the outer upper garment must
be bright colors. These bright colors must cover a minimum surface area of 144 square inches of
the front and back torso. Acceptable colors are bright orange, red, yellow, lime green and white;
no other colors are allowed. The brightly colored upper, outer garment may be one of these
colors in either a solid pattern or mixed pattern.

(2) During night hours, 30 minutes prior to dusk thru 30 minutes after dawn, twilight
and/or periods of reduced light due to inclement weather (fog, rain, hail or overcast), operators
and passengersm ust additionallyw ear reflective or retro-reflectivem aterial. This material will
be attached or sewn to the upper, outer garment by horizontal, vertical and/or diagonal stripes of
brightly colored (colors listed above) reflective or retro-reflective material at least I-inch wide.
Regardlesso f the direction of the stripes,t here mustb e a minimum of 24 linear incheso f
reflective or retro-reflective material on front and back (e.g. three 8-inch stripes I-inch wide or
six 4-inch stripes I-inch wide).

(3) If the operatora nd/orp assengear re wearinga backpack,t he outer-mostb ack side of the
backpack must meet the above requirements. For example, put a reflective vest that meets the
requirements over the backpack to make the rider visible from front and backside with brightly
colored and reflective or retro-reflective material.

(4) Full-fingered motorcycle gloves or mittens.

(5) Long trousers.

(6) Sturdy footwear will be worn. The minimum standard for Eglin AFB is leather tennis
shoes. They must be snugly secure and completely cover the feet. No sandals of any sort that
exposesth e feet or toes are allowed (The Motorcycle SafetyF oundationr ecommendsL eatherboots
or over-the-ankles hoest o protect againsta variety of riding hazardsw ith rubbers olest o
grip the pavement).
b. Riders must still comply with all other current motorcycle training and personal protective
equipment( PPE)r equirementso f DODI 6055.4a nd API 91-207. Here are the following PPErequirements:

(1) Helmet: A properly fastened (under the chin) protective helmet. As a minimum,
helmets must meet Department of Transportation standards.

(2) Eye protection: to protect eyes against dust, debris and insects, operators and
passengerws ill wear a face shield or impact resistantg oggles/glassesW. indshieldsd o not meet
the standardr equired for eye protectiona nd will not supplemenat face shield or impact resistant
goggles/glassesO. peratorsw ill not wear tinted face shields,g oggles/g lassesd uring hours of
darkness.

(3) Lights: motorcycles, mopeds and three or four wheeled ATVs will be operated with the
headlight on at all times.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
i saw an interesting scene in sopranos the other week. tony killed chris just after he wrecked. chris was high and dumb. you shouldve killed him. just an idea. its squids like that who put others in jeopardy much like chris was to tony.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I cant believe he wasn't wearing a helmet.... Much less getting anywhere near a motorcycle after he had been drink'in......

Just crazy!.....:eyecrazy: :headshake

·
Registered
362 Posts
All I can say is that this soldier will have hell to pay in his unit and he will be worrying if the military pays for his medical bills. His chain of command will probably conduct a "In line of duty investigation" to determine what rules and regulations he was violating and then determine if he will have to pay. And now with the Army's policy on motorcycle accidents the FORSCOM commander will have to be notified, meaning that a Four Star General will be informed of all the facts and then the Division Commander will be questioned on what happened, why it happened and what was done to prevent it (just my guess) and if its determined that alcohol is involved then he will be looking at an UCMJ action. And finally for the next several months each company commander in the Division will have to conduct a safety brief prior to each weekend to include something about motorcycle safety followed by the a manditory vechicle inspection to include verifying updated insurance. So needless to say that the Army has taken a big intrest in motorcycle safety with all the other branches. Mostly due to the increase in soldier accidents and the fact that a majority are coming home from deployements with a lot of extra cash and a need to get back that adreline rush.

I am just glad the kid was able to live through it.

·
Damn I'm Getting Old
995 Posts
I live near some nice twisty roads here that many of the squids try to ride above their limits.
Hey Super K, I live in Manhattan, and I'm always looking for a good place to ride. What are some of the roads you run, and what road did he crash on?

And the Army is REQUIRED to wear protective gear, so if he was military, that's prob why he didn't want the cops there. Of course having been drinking probably didn't factor into it at ALL.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
that was an 07 too. waste of a good bike. helmet laws should def be mandatory in all states. now the govt is pickin up his medical bills.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
His buddy said it was an 06? Not sure? I have lots of friends in the Army, some wear gear and some don't. I wasn't tryin to start an anti GI thread, it just seems like a lot of he young enlisted guys seem to be getting in over their heads and not even trying to protact themselves. When I want to ride on post ( I install windows in the new barracks being built) I have to have boots, jacket, helmet, gloves, reflective vest/sash, and a card showing I have completed a certified safety course. I wish they'd show all the new riders the gory pics of people who wreck without gear when they take safety courses. The poor guy is probly in a world o shit right now because of por judgement. I hope he can pull through his injuries and the red tape he's gonna deal with, realize the mistakes, and get back on a bike with gear and a little more respect for litre bike power.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts