Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too sure if it's a good or bad thing. I've been spoiled with track choices here in Texas and have been racing with CMRA to the point I haven't really started my street bike in a while. I have read that there is a track errr abandoned airfield up there so I am not sure what I should do. My question for you Alaska peeps is is there any road riding to be done up there? I know the season is short so I was considering selling my 07 ZX10 here before I leave and getting a quad or dirtbike to race, and keeping my racebike 07 6r to bring to those trackdays. What do I need to know about Anchorage?

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
have fun, you may want to consider getting into fishing while your up there. i have a buddy in citgo Alaska that does charter fishing during the summer time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Let me know how bigs Sara tits are in person.. JK.... ANC is nice been there in a high school basketball league and with FedEx Express. The air is very thin. Its takes awhile getting use to.
Other than take its like any other major city, but it needs more diversity!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know there's a motocross track here. :badteeth:

There's a couple drag strips out in the Valley, if I recall (about 1.5-2 hours from Anchorage if you obey the speed limit), but i've never been to them personally. I also hear that there's an actual racecar track in Wasilla, but never been to that either. Other than those, I don't know of any... but i've been trying to find one here because i'd like to get my 10 on one.

The roads here suck, in my opinion. Alot of potholes, BIG ones, and they often pop up overnight. It's ok for cruising around, lots of good scenery and roads that aren't manned by LEO. I've NEVER seen a road here that i'd be willing to open her up on, but that might just be me... I like my bike in one piece.

There's a saying here:
"There's only 2 kinds of roads in Alaska... Under ice, and under construction."

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh yeah, as far as need to know about Anchorage:

1. Get a BIG chain for your stuff. (It's too easy for toys to disappear in Alaska, never to be seen again.)
2. Don't park your ride in the Mt.View area, unless it's a POS... even then there's a 50/50 chance you'll never see it again.
3. Drugs are like gold here.
4. The hookers hang out on Spenard Road, and sometimes 4th Avenue.

Don't get me wrong, i've lived in Alaska all my life and love it here. I'm just speakin' the truth. :lol:

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
damn how do u go from texas to alaska?? that sucks GL tho man

·
Registered
272 Posts
Come on up, Bro !!

Salami is beign a little pessimistic.. We have some decent roads.

We have some awesome "pole racing" at an old Cold war airbase called Tanacross. 5 weekends this summer, starting May 30th.

There is some fun to be had, even here in town...Like this nutjob from last summer. :badteeth:

I also have a top secret top speed spot,....

I have an ATK605 street plated enduro, and it does get some use here.

We do have a pretty good bunch of riders here, in fact consider yourself invited to my place for a BBQ.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Damn sorry to hear that Bro....I was so sploiled in NY and now i am in italy and the price to get on track is freakin INSANE!
how does $280 for (3) 25 minute sessions at mugello sound?

yeah the PCS'ing thing can truly not always be so great,,,,my buddy said the time he did ride when it was ridable weather said he had lots of fun, so sure there is some riding time on a sportbike just not much of it.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
There is a road race track in Tok called Tanacross! it's huge 3.3 miles and 41 turns! it's an old tanker base that they converted to a road course best part it you get 5 hours of track time a day before you race at a cost of $65 a WEEKEND!!!!! they get about 150 racers from AK and Canada per race weekend, believe it or not bring your A game because there are some fast mofo's up there!!

here is a pic it's kinda small

PS there is a place called Wasilla right outside of Anchorage 20-30 min and there is some DAMN good roads there! Anchorage road do suck you need to out of town about 30 min!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Salami is beign a little pessimistic.. We have some decent roads.
He's right, I am...

I won't lie. My 10 is my first street bike, and i'm switching over from motocross and other off-road riding in general, so I don't trust the traction yet. Going from 15 inches of suspension travel to 4 or 5 inches is difficult for me as well.

Definately listen to these other guys' opinions before mine, because I guarantee they have more seat time on these roads than I do... for now. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow lot's of great info here for sure. Well a little update, I sold the 10 and bought a quad to do some riding instead of riding the 10 on the road. Good shots of the tiller, I used to race a TLR a few years ago and then switched to an RC until 06 when I got on a zx6r. I am really excited to PCS and am truly looking forward to the move in the sheer fact that life as an MTI has been hectic so it will be a nice break to go back to normal work lol. I will be bringing my race bike with me and all the support equipment even if it is 1 track as opposed to the many down here in tejas, racing is racing lol. Thanks again for all the info and I will post up and pm you when I get to town
-Lee

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
When you’re riding at 11:00 at night in the sunlight you’ll like it. A lot of the roads in Anchorage sink where the tires meet the road(kinda rutted). I love riding in Fairbanks. Welcome…….

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow lot's of great info here for sure. Well a little update, I sold the 10 and bought a quad to do some riding instead of riding the 10 on the road. Good shots of the tiller, I used to race a TLR a few years ago and then switched to an RC until 06 when I got on a zx6r. I am really excited to PCS and am truly looking forward to the move in the sheer fact that life as an MTI has been hectic so it will be a nice break to go back to normal work lol. I will be bringing my race bike with me and all the support equipment even if it is 1 track as opposed to the many down here in tejas, racing is racing lol. Thanks again for all the info and I will post up and pm you when I get to town
-Lee
I do plenty of off road riding as well. We'll show you around if you want. I wanted to try the V-Twin thing for a year and found a great deal on the TLR. My buddy has an RC51. I've decided the extra weight and relative lack of power aren't worth it....Especially the extra weight in the corners becuae it limits your speed at big lean angles. I have a new '08 10R on the way.

What's an MTI ? Are you in the Air Force ? Army ?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts