Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My local shop just got a Bazzaz Principia dyno. It suppose to be the most accurate dyno to date. My last dyno run was on a DynoJet and it made 169.7hp. On the Bazzaz it made 131.5. I'll post the graph when I pick it up.

So if anybody wants you bike dyno tuned and see some true, real world numbers go to Minden Motorsports in Minden, La.

I don't know you guys know yet but Bazzaz makes a tuner for Gen 1 ZX-10R now. I have a PCIII but I would have gotten then Bazzaz if it were available at the time.

There was no tuning done, by the way. That was just a power run for the shop owner to compare to his race bike. It's the same map I made 169.7 with on the Dynojet.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Their stuff looks awesome! I really would like to see the "speed squared" runs and how they differ!

Load cell dynos are awesome to work with, factory pro's have been that way from the start. I wish my old dynojet 150 wasnt $8,000 to upgrade to a load cell :-(

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
131whp? Sorry I don't believe that at all. There's no way the drivetrain loss eats 50hp.

Either way dyno's are for tuning. Trap speed tells you if you're making good power.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I did all my training on a Superflow Eddy current loadcell dyno.....great tuning tool, but gave real world RWHP numbers that really opened up the eyes....made alot of customers confused, but ultimately happy in the end, cause it's all about net gains.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Amarr Bazzaz set the dyno up so I'm pretty sure it's setup right. And it measures power in a different way than conventional dynos. It accounts for wind drag at the actual speed the wheel is turning and several other things.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
what does wind drag has to do with hp of the bike? hp of the bike doesn't change due to wind drag, it changes due to ram air effect if higher gears maybe depending on the engine needs and the volume of the airbox.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not going to pretend like I know a whole lot about how all that shit works cause I don't. Amarr Bazzaz is happy with the numbers the dyno is measuring so I am too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It works on the "speed squared" principal. Something like... It takes 4 times the power to double your speed. But like I said, I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm sure some of the other guys can chime in on that.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
If they are like the factory pro dyno's (which it sounds like it may be) they use a dyno brake to tune the bikes. This applies a brake to the dyno drum so a tuner can take a AF ratio during a exact RPM and exact throttle position under a load. The dynojet dyno's use a sweep method where you do one full pass on the dyno.

My tuner uses a factory pro, and the bike shop I race for uses a dynojet. The factory pro maps my tuner has made me are the smoothest I have ever used. Especially at part throttle at lower RPM.

They do however read quite differently. My gen 3 with a Supersport engine build ( decked and ported head, degreed cams, 5 angle valve grind) and full akro exhaust, filter and race fuel made 137hp on the factory pro dyno and 162hp on a dynojet dyno.

As we all know dyno numbers mean little. Unless you are doing back to back dyno runs on the same dyno, the numbers mean nothing. They are a meter, and that meter is nothing like any other meter on the planet. This is apparent when you hear of stock bikes (or very nearly stock bikes) making 180hp plus.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. That's the exact same way this dyno works. It has an Eddy Brake to hold the bike a certain RPMs under full load. They call it a step test, I believe. Bike is WOT but the dyno holds it at an RPM for a second and a half and goes up in increments of 1000 RPMs.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yeah. That's the exact same way this dyno works. It has an Eddy Brake to hold the bike a certain RPMs under full load. They call it a step test, I believe. Bike is WOT but the dyno holds it at an RPM for a second and a half and goes up in increments of 1000 RPMs.
oh ok, that's exactly what I wanted to know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts