Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ladies and gent's, I need some advice.

I've changed the oil on my 1st gen many a time now, but there's always one thing guaranteed to get under my skin.... I'm of course talking about oil pouring out onto the pipes as I remove the filter.

I've tried time and again to prevent this from happening or at least minimize the 'damage.' I've tried switching up how fast I try and get the filter off, dropping the rear stand (I keep my bike on both front and rear stands pretty much anytime I'm not riding) with the drain plug off to get as much oil out as possible before filter removal (stupid, semi-dangerous, all around bad idea... I know, but I'm getting desperate), and a couple other things I won't waste more time with.

Has anyone devised a method that keeps oil off the pipes and on its way straight into the catch pan? I'm open to any advice you can throw my way... wearing a tinfoil hat, keeping a specific amount of change in a certain pocket, patting my head while spinning around three times and singing Cher ( :suicide: )... so long as it works, I'll do it.

Thanks for your time and putting up/helping me out with my rant.
:eek:ccasion1

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
Yea, foil works... but it's more of a PIA than it's worth IMO. I just learned to live with the oil getting on the pipes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
foil ftw:thumbsup:

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
What i did was to take an empty oil jug(the 1 liter size or quart)cut it down through the center from top down..Like as in two halves..Slide it under oil filter and as oil pours its funneled out through the neck into catch pan..

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
They sell these at most NAPA stores. Works like a champ
http://www.formafunnel.com/
I am a tool junkie and love special tools or devices...I might make a visit to NAPA tomorrow because I can see how this will come in handy on many cars or other purposes as well....thanks :thumbsup:

bloo

·
Registered
825 Posts
Brilliant !! I think the $25 would be money well spent.
Thanks for the link THECYKOTIK1.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Alright ladies and gent's, I need some advice.

I've changed the oil on my 1st gen many a time now, but there's always one thing guaranteed to get under my skin.... I'm of course talking about oil pouring out onto the pipes as I remove the filter.

I've tried time and again to prevent this from happening or at least minimize the 'damage.' I've tried switching up how fast I try and get the filter off, dropping the rear stand (I keep my bike on both front and rear stands pretty much anytime I'm not riding) with the drain plug off to get as much oil out as possible before filter removal (stupid, semi-dangerous, all around bad idea... I know, but I'm getting desperate), and a couple other things I won't waste more time with.

Has anyone devised a method that keeps oil off the pipes and on its way straight into the catch pan? I'm open to any advice you can throw my way... wearing a tinfoil hat, keeping a specific amount of change in a certain pocket, patting my head while spinning around three times and singing Cher ( :suicide: )... so long as it works, I'll do it.

Thanks for your time and putting up/helping me out with my rant.
:eek:ccasion1
Wrap aluminum foil around the pipes and build a little funnel with a trough that leads to your dump pan ... if you drop your filter on top of your funnel it defeats the purpose lol

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
I am a tool junkie and love special tools or devices...I might make a visit to NAPA tomorrow because I can see how this will come in handy on many cars or other purposes as well....thanks :thumbsup:

bloo
me too but 25 bucks vs .15 cents for 1 foot of aluminum foil heavy duty ...which i do the same thing with ..

·
Chairman of the Board
16,018 Posts
I usually put a rag over the headers then wipe any off thats soaked through. I tried the foil but to me it was more of a pain than a benefit.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I lay a rag on my headers. Use my oil mixture ratio cup (any cup would do), small phillips screw driver, hammer, and oil filter pliers.

Punch a hole in the side of your oil filter close to the end at about 90 degrees from the bottom. In the right side, in other words.

Turn the filter 1/4 turn out with the cup under the hole. Catch the bulk of the oil, then unscrew with one hand while having the rag in the other hand to wipe off any excess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts