Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trusty 2004 ZX10R track bike had served well, but as it needed some attention, I wanted to replace it. So, on a bit of a whim I just bought a used 2018. Haven't picked it up yet as I'm waiting for an Akro Ti can and link, and some small stuff, to get going towards making it a more serious track day machine. The dealership has thrown in a suspension set up by their in house racer and I've spoken with 2wheeldyno in Kirkland WA. They seem pretty capable of doing a mail in flash, so will send the ECU to them as soon as I can rip it out.... I certainly hope to get to The Ridge again this summer, barring plague or civil war. I'll be the old slow guy on a very pretty silver '10R.
Pics when it's track ready.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Really looking forward to the new tech; primarily the quick shifter. And I'm interested in how much quicker it'll feel than my Gen1. The old one had a lot of mods, including can, Power Commander and pretty radical gearing (-1 and +2, IIRC) so it wasn't exactly slow. I'm debating whether to make a gearing change to the new one. The only tracks I have ridden are the Ridge and Area 27; stock will probably be fine for now, and be more enjoyable on the occasions I ride it on the street.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Night and day difference on a track.
Well, I'll see. For a guy of limited ability, will it feel better, be "easier to ride" or allow me to go faster? I really don't know. I just watched the video of a couple journalists riding a 2005 Gixxer and 2018 Panagale V4 on track. Both guys were faster around the track on the Gixxer ( I do recall the Gixxer had slicks tho).... At this point in my "track day" career I'm not trying to go as "fast as I can" (still lots to learn and get comfortable with), so I'm probably not one to make an intelligent comparison.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,970 Posts
Well, I'll see. For a guy of limited ability, will it feel better, be "easier to ride" or allow me to go faster? I really don't know. I just watched the video of a couple journalists riding a 2005 Gixxer and 2018 Panagale V4 on track. Both guys were faster around the track on the Gixxer ( I do recall the Gixxer had slicks tho).... At this point in my "track day" career I'm not trying to go as "fast as I can" (still lots to learn and get comfortable with), so I'm probably not one to make an intelligent comparison.
Riding on the track is all about confidence. If you are more confident based on the feedback from the bike, you naturally go faster. The Gen 5 is more confidence inspiring than the Gen 1. it's not always about outright power and speed, it's about how you feel riding it. Same applies to Gixxer vs Panagale. Comfort level brings speed as a natural byproduct of that. You will feel more confident after 1 lap on the Gen 5 than you will after 20 laps on the Gen 1. That's what mte78 was describing with "night and day".

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
818 Posts
You will go faster around a track right away on the newer Gen.

The Gen 1 is just a very fun bike to own, and you hardly ever see another one at a track day.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
530 Posts
Doesn't matter if you go faster or slower around the track. Just have fun and be predictable. BTW, you'll be faster and more confident on the gen 5. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an '04 as a track bike a while back, even though it was fun, that bike always felt like it was trying to kill me. Crashed it (on the track) more times I care to admit. Never crashed another bike after that one. I've got a '17 ZX10R now and it's the easiest one to ride out of all of them. Still take my V4 Tuono to the track now and then, but the ZX is so sublime that it's hard to pass by it for track days. It's a bit ridiculous on the street cause every ride on it is so effortless that you are in, arrest me now speeds, without even thinking.

I also have a mail in tune from Nels (2wheeldyno). I went with their Graves package and the bike is a beast now...smoother, added an auto blipper, it runs cooler, and it's lighter, plus it'll dyno in upper 190's to the rear wheel...power is addicting. Throughout the years he's tuned my other bikes and the results have always been awesome.
I'm down in Portland area and I try and make it up to The Ridge regularly. Maybe see ya there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, thanks for your comments. I loved my '04. I've only ridden the new one about 40km, bringing it home yesterday, but it feels very familiar. I think I'll be happy with it. Funny enough, I was just on the 2WDW site deciding on options. Here's a first pic, prior to some mods...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well my trusty 2004 ZX10R track bike had served well, but as it needed some attention, I wanted to replace it. So, on a bit of a whim I just bought a used 2018. Haven't picked it up yet as I'm waiting for an Akro Ti can and link, and some small stuff, to get going towards making it a more serious track day machine. The dealership has thrown in a suspension set up by their in house racer and I've spoken with 2wheeldyno in Kirkland WA. They seem pretty capable of doing a mail in flash, so will send the ECU to them as soon as I can rip it out.... I certainly hope to get to The Ridge again this summer, barring plague or civil war. I'll be the old slow guy on a very pretty silver '10R.
Pics when it's track ready.
Congrats! I got mine in 2019. I fell in love with that silver, with just enough touches of green. I’ve only ever ridden street but I’m pining for at least one track day this year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts