Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a couple of months or more since I been out racing and knew I am probably rusty but just wanted to go out not so much for time as the track really sucks on wed nights as they don’t prep it…..but really just go out and play.

Last year around this time I wasn’t that competitive but have done some practicing since then as some of you know already. So, I wanted to show my new skills out there. First though I want to say I was trying out what someone else said on this thread how they got better times launching at low RPMs so that’s all I did to test to see how it goes.

Well, first race was against another guy on a 05 10R riding it for his buddy. He normally races Wed. nights all the time on a ZX6. Mods on the 10R slammed as low as it can go 16T gearing. I can tell by how he was talking telling me he was going to show his buddy how to ride it that he probably thought he could beat me.

Result— left him right from the start..not even close. It was just a 10.6 to his 10.9s so I knew at that point the rust was there but the conditions were horrible and like I said I wasn’t there for time but to just play. So 1 down

Next Race a stock Hayabusa pulls up to me as he wanted to run. I didn’t know this guy but had a felling this was going to be even easier.

Result- Totally wasted him…..10.3s to his 10.9s…yeah a hayabusa doing 10.9s…he needs to get out more. :lol: 2 down

Next race. An 05 Gix 1k. I knew this guy ran on his last race a 10.27s as he showed it to me after my busa race. So, when It came down for my 3rd race he pulled up to me and said lets run. Now I know this light weight guy must have thought he was going to win this one. I didn’t tell him I did 10.07s months ago so I knew it might be competitive.

Result- Came up immediately in a bad wheelie…but never saw the gixxer. Seems he said he did too and once we were off I was in front and stood there. Bad times but at least the guy knew his bike wasn’t so powerful as to catch me. Times 10.4s for me 10.5s for him. 3 down....:thumbsup:

So, I was just going out to play for a few runs and go home and I did, man that was fun…..

…..beer time……:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Reactions: GuitarPlyr

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Good job Bloo D...glad you had a great time!! :thumbsup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BadAzzGuitarPlyr said:
Good job Bloo D...glad you had a great time!! :thumbsup:
Sure did bud....think I'm going to go out and play more often. :eek:ccasion1

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TX06'10r said:
Hell yes!! What kind of 60ft's were you cutting? What are your mods?

That's what confused me. On the first run I got one if not the best 60 ever but one of my worst times lately. I got a 1.7s flat so was doing other things wrong because I should have been close to the 9s with that launch and my normal riding habbits. :dontknow:......so more testing and play time to come.:thumbsup:

oh...almost forgot the mods...just slip-on/lowerd/straped and pump gas and 16/40 gearing. 11k miles on the bike with stock clutch.

·
Registered
804 Posts
bluedevil said:
That's what confused me. On the first run I got one if not the best 60 ever but one of my worst times lately. I got a 1.7s flat so was doing other things wrong because I should have been close to the 9s with that launch and my normal riding habbits. :dontknow:......so more testing and play time to come.:thumbsup:

oh...almost forgot the mods...just slip-on/lowerd/straped and pump gas and 16/40 gearing. 11k miles on the bike with stock clutch.

Cool, was the bike spinning after the launch? Was it running hot? Did you shift early? Dam a 1.7 is really good, the best ive gotten is a 1.95 at [email protected], bone stock. My goal is a 1.8 60 ft stock height. What kind of tires are you running?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TX06'10r said:
Cool, was the bike spinning after the launch? Was it running hot? Did you shift early? Dam a 1.7 is really good, the best ive gotten is a 1.95 at [email protected], bone stock. My goal is a 1.8 60 ft stock height. What kind of tires are you running?
yeah, someone I always talk too at the track even said I was spinning like sideways or Squirrelly .:dontknow: guess it was really slippery but didn’t feel it that much but that’s what he said. Running Michelin Pilot Powers..not a drag tire but that’s all I got.

You really need to lower or strap your bike though. Stock height is not a good way to get better. :headshake: It’s only when I lowered and strapped when I got much better.

Yeah..I was shifting much earlier than I normally do before 1st gear redline….or should I say before I was in wide open throttle. :badteeth:…but that was due to me messing around with my launch RPMs I normally do at 7-8k

But regardless…get at least a strap and you will see improvement.

·
Registered
804 Posts
bluedevil said:
yeah, someone I always talk too at the track even said I was spinning like sideways or Squirrelly .:dontknow: guess it was really slippery but didn’t feel it that much but that’s what he said. Running Michelin Pilot Powers..not a drag tire but that’s all I got.

You really need to lower or strap your bike though. Stock height is not a good way to get better. :headshake: It’s only when I lowered and strapped when I got much better.

Yeah..I was shifting much earlier than I normally do before 1st gear redline….or should I say before I was in wide open throttle. :badteeth:…but that was due to me messing around with my launch RPMs I normally do at 7-8k

But regardless…get at least a strap and you will see improvement.

I know I need to strap it but I just want to see how low I can go bone stock, I know it sounds dumb but that is what im trying for. Man, the shinko raven I jsut got is a hooking motha!! A lot of guys that drag race here are running the shinko's and now I know why. Give it a shot, I launch at 8000 right now and I want to try power shifting but I know it's going to send the front end in the air, as is I can barely keep it down. How far are you slipping for? What mph is the clutch full engaged?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TX06'10r said:
I know I need to strap it but I just want to see how low I can go bone stock, I know it sounds dumb but that is what im trying for. Man, the shinko raven I jsut got is a hooking motha!! A lot of guys that drag race here are running the shinko's and now I know why. Give it a shot, I launch at 8000 right now and I want to try power shifting but I know it's going to send the front end in the air, as is I can barely keep it down. How far are you slipping for? What mph is the clutch full engaged?
that's my point..you really should not try to see how fast you can go on a 10 stock. It's wheelbase is so low especially compared to the other bikes out there that you need to lower and strap to get good times as the 10 is just not built for drag racing...mostly because the power it puts down and it's a wheelie monster.:headshake

yeah...might try the shinko's soon. :wink:

·
Registered
804 Posts
bluedevil said:
that's my point..you really should not try to see how fast you can go on a 10 stock. It's wheelbase is so low especially compared to the other bikes out there that you need to lower and strap to get good times as the 10 is just not built for drag racing...mostly because the power it puts down and it's a wheelie monster.:headshake

yeah...might try the shinko's soon. :wink:
Should I slam it all the way around or just strap the front end? What is the best in your opinion?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TX06'10r said:
Should I slam it all the way around or just strap the front end? What is the best in your opinion?
no, just talking baby steps. Just strap at first if you want. When the times get better lower the bike in the rear and maybe some in the front forks. I did both at the same time but did not lower much at first in the rear and still got 10.3s.

main thing is control the wheelies while trying to go wide open throttle fast.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Chads10R

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chads10R said:
nice kills Bloo!
thanks Chad...last year I use to go out on Wed. night drags for practice...today was just to get some kills.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hey Blue, dumb question but don't you use your 10 at the race track too? If so, Do you have to switch it back to "cornering mode" often? BTW: :thumbsup: on the kills

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
not trying to still your thunder man, but I too went to Wednesday night drags, Test nTune hear at Ohio Vallay Dragway to test some gearing and n20, results from one of the two passes I made below................. #28 jet, 15/39 lugged a little in the 60', 200lbs rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
rated zx said:
not trying to still your thunder man, but I too went to Wednesday night drags, Test nTune hear at Ohio Vallay Dragway to test some gearing and n20, results from one of the two passes I made below................. #28 jet, 15/39 lugged a little in the 60', 200lbs rider.
Nice!!! :helmet: :thumbsup: Now you know you need more gearing than that on a stretched bike.:heyyou:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Congrats on the wins Blooooo!!!:helmet: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Ruthless Racing said:
Nice!!! :helmet: :thumbsup: Now you know you need more gearing than that on a stretched bike.:heyyou:

gearing is perfect actually, I lugged the bike cause I didn't leave hard at all, just wanted to see what it was gonna do, ran a [email protected], 1.49 60' pass afterwards, just not making a habit of postin times, but I couldn't help it, cause someone else was looking for spray info and this may help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts