Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know why I waited so long before taking a trip on the bike but I had the best time. One of my best mates and I took off from San Diego last Tuesday night and rode 300 miles to Vegas..we got to vegas around midnight and decided to cruise the strip...it was so packed we ended up just pushing the bikes because traffic was barely moving..it took over an hour to go one mile...we ended up staying at the Fremont in old vegas...we had bloodymarys and beer till 4am; went back to the room and was up and back on the road at 7am...the 2nd day we rode to Grand Junction, Colorado approx 500 miles, if you rode this stretch of the 15 and 70 you know that is mostly rock landscape and hot this time of year; we decided to stay at a super 8 instead of rolling out the sleeping bags. The third day was great as we entered the mountains. i've driven my car/taken my Rv this route many times but it was the first time for my buddy. the stretch of interstate 70 that runs through Glenwood Springs is one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the country. Our destination that day way Colorado Springs approx 300 miles to stay overnight with my daughter that is stationed at Fort Carson. We ended up going through Denver at 5pm....damn and i thought the traffic was bad in socal but Denver is a close second and worse in many ways with less lanes and it not being legal to split traffic like we do here. The fourth day we got off the interstate and took highway 50 through Colorado to our next destination of Ouray approx 300 miles. Again, i've taken this route many times but my buddy wouldn't go over 60 mph because there was just too much to see. We stopped at the top of Monarch Pass elevation of 11,200 feet and took the tram to the top at over 12,000 feet. I thought Kurt (my buddy) was going to run off the road while we were riding along Blue Mesa Lake. We stopped and he said it was the most beautiful lake he had ever seen. We got to Ouray which is one of my favorite places in the world and stayed at the KOA campground. When we got there we were warned that they had been having trouble with Black Bears around the campground and suggested we not cook at our site. After we ate in town we came back with what we hoped was enough beer and wood to get through the night. We were barely on our third beer when a lady from the campsite next to ours came over and said her dog was acting strangely. We got up from the fire and turned on our flashlights and a Black Bear was between our tents not 15 feet away. I did what the pamphlet suggested and stood tall and made noise to make the bear go away. I looked back for Kurt because at 6'4" and 300lbs he was my back-up....except when i looked behind me kurt was not there....he had run to the next site and was hiding behind a minivan...I yelled at these two guys that were camping next to us that had rode in on a couple of BMW GS1200's that the bear was heading towards there camp...They had already had 3 or 4 bottles of wine....one of them scared the crap out of me because he actually ran towards the bear yelling at him to fight...lucky for him the bear went back into the woods but this dumb ass went running in after him with nothing but a little flashlight...thankfully for him the bear climbed up a slope that he couldn't and he came back to camp....If that wasn't enough, less then an hour later another Black Bear came into camp. I knew it was a different one because it was even bigger...this time one of the KOA guys was at our camp with a gun so i felt a little more confident helping him chase the bear out of the camp...of course when i looked behind me for kurt he was again hiding behind the minivan....The beer and wood ran out around 1am and we decided to hit the sack...around 3am i hear something walking up behind my tent and i come flying out with a rock in each hand for it to only be a skunk. After a sleepless night the breakfast they served up at the KOA of pancakes, biscuts, gravy, eggs, and bacon was the best food i have ever tasted. So day 5 we got an early start because we had 400 miles to cover to get to Flagstaff our next destination. Leaving Ouray on the 550 heading towards Silverton that stretch of road is called the million dollar highway. Kurt asked me why and I told him because everywhere you look is a million dollar view. That is definitely a first/second gear stretch of highway with all the switchbacks, sheer drop-offs, and no guardrails. All i can say about that road is to ride it....you won't believe how beautiful it is. After leaving Colorado we entered Arizona and the heat again...we stopped at the four corners where you can put one arm in utah, the other arm in colorado, one leg in arizona and the other leg in new mexico....We got caught in one of those desert monsoon storms coming out of Tuba City....The dust cloud that preceded the storm front was huge...I was riding in front of Kurt and thought we might be able to stay in front of it and get to Flagstaff but i was wrong...Kurt was able to pull off at a gas station but i had kept going and got caught out in the open....the combination of wind and sand was so bad i pulled off the higway on a little pull-out and turned the bike into the wind....i put the side-stand down and layed across the top of the tank with both feet down trying to keep the bike and me from blowing over...had to stay like that for over 30 minutes before the front passed and it was just strong wind and rain without the sand....i went back and found kurt about 5 miles back...He said that i had just completely disappeared in the sand...one minute in front of him and the next gone...he said he thought it was a tornado when he pulled into the gas station because metal siding was being pulled off the roof and walls and 50 gallon drums were being thrown all around....I told him how smart he was to pull over while i was a complet idiot for thinking i would outrun the front and got caught out in the open....But we made it into Flagstaff safe if not soaked....Our tent site was pretty wet but at least the pad was elevated so that water wasn't running through our site....I slept good that night. Our last day was another 500 mile sprint from Flagstaff back to San Diego...We caught a break with the weather from the day before by keeping the temps down in the 90's...I had driven that stretch of the 40 a couple of weeks ago and from Kingman through Needles it had been 116 plus degrees....Overall it was one of the best road trips i have ever taken..like i said at the beginning; i don't know why i haven't taken a multi-day trip before on the bike but now that i have i can't wait for the next one...We are planning on riding up to Oregon and coming back along the coast......We both rode our 09 Concours 1400 and they performed perfectly.....cheers scott

Attachments

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
cool man, how many hours to Vegas? It usually takes me about 4 from Oceanside.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Dude what a great story and it looks like you have my CR125 in the garage. Story was hysterical... to funny guy chassing the bear with a flah light... I think they call that beer muscles haahahh... ANyway great story and sounds like you had a blast. To funny you trying to out ride mother nature hahahah good stuff... Glad all went well:spit:

·
Beginner w/29k miles :o)
3,008 Posts
nice! i have a friend leaving this saturday for a 8 day trip heading to Mt rushmore on his R1, i wish i had money to join him and his dad(on a BMW)

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
awsome write up, we are headed out there in a couple weeks on our concours's, i cant say enough good about those bikes.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Sounded like an awesome trip! I was thinking you were crazy doing that on a 10 but read that you were on concours. Good write up and good to hear from a long time member!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Great Story, Nice Pics. The Drunkie chasing the Bear part was hysterical.. Sounds and looks like you guys had a great time, Hopefully some day Ill get to do a trip like that..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic trip, lots of riding and adventure: damn i'm jealous!

thanks for the write up :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
nice... looks like fun.... i wanna do a road trip on the 10 real bad.... but i need to find a riding partner before i do... thanks for the trip report, and pics....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts