Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did something stupid this morning, yester i changed the oil in my bike, i keep it on a pitbull rear stand, and when i removed the left fairing, i had to put the kickstand up, well finished everything, never did get a chance to go riding yesterday, so this morning i wake up get ready for work, go outside like i do everytime i ride, lift up on the pitbull stand while balancing the seat as i start to left the bike drift to the left and as its slowly tilting i realize the kickstand is up, SHIT ! - CRASH !

first time i had ever done that, hopefully my stupidity will prevent it from happening to anyone here

the results:

side fairing scuffed
bent LT clipon
broken radial clutch lever
mirror scraped
bar end scraped

so far i have the lever, bar ends from rinomoto and the clipon coming second day air. going to replace the left side fairing and mirror, probably next month,

the damages came to about $750.00, my tigcraft exhaust has a very small mark on the bottom end cap of the can, but its really not even noticable, so i'm going to let that go. the fairing only has a minor scuff, but its flat black raw plastic, plus it bothers me so i'll replace it

this really sucks

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
It happens. Sorry it happened to you but thanks for sharing.

I am pretty paranoid about checking before I remove the bike and always leaving the stand down when it's on the stand.

The other day I caught the side stand in up position on a walk by and stopped to put it down right then.

I also tend to pull the bike back on the side stand a bit as I'm setting her down- just to be sure the s-stand stays locked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i always leave it down also when its on the rear stand, but just had a brain fade yesterday, only reason i had it up was to remove the fairing for the oil change, its embarrasing, but hopefully my embarrasement might save someone here from doing the same thing

it was like slow motion as it was falling - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
ckruzel said:
it was like slow motion as it was falling - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ugghh I hate that.

I had a 900rr fall like that from a non pitbull, old style, abused stand- no spools either.

I had just put fresh bodywork on as I bought the bike wrecked, that is why it was on the stand, mount the bodywork.

Luckily I grabbed the bar and leaned away from the fall like hiking out on a sail boat.
Slowed it enough to just set it down and got REAL lucky with no damage.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
Ugghh I hate that.

I had a 900rr fall like that from a non pitbull, old style, abused stand- no spools either.

I had just put fresh bodywork on as I bought the bike wrecked, that is why it was on the stand, mount the bodywork.

Luckily I grabbed the bar and leaned away from the fall like hiking out on a sail boat.
Slowed it enough to just set it down and got REAL lucky with no damage.
Wow, no damage. Time to sigh, relax and :beer: .

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
It took a long while for the adrenaline to go away- lucky I had a piece of plywood on ground where she landed- by chance.
Otherwise I would have had some scrapes at least.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
It took a long while for the adrenaline to go away- lucky I had a piece of plywood on ground where she landed- by chance.
Otherwise I would have had some scrapes at least.
Yeah, I can only imagine the amount of adrenaline of watching your bike fall to the ground ranks up there next to pre-race adrenaline. Only one is good, and the other sucks.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
**also, dont try puttin your bike up while you are on the phone.**

i did this and was luckily able to get it just in time to lay it down with no damge.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Mitter714 said:
Did you Have frame sliders? Just curious.
Not in my case with the 900rr. I slowed it and controlled enought to rest it on the bar end, peg folded slowly and pipe touched.
Walked around it still holding some weight off and got under to lift her up quickly.

Dirtbikes as a kid gave me plenty of practice lifting a bike up "with legs" not back, so it was more like a reflex.

Could have really tweaked my back too but since I was leaning away using my weight and not leaning over it and fighting it I was okay.

·
Registered
417 Posts
dummy here too. doing suspension work was on a hill yeah i know shouldnt have been on a hill but went to set it back down on the kickstand with it facing up the hill. musta bumped the kickstand while i was seeing if i liked the setting leaned it over to where the kickstand was supposed to be but no kickstand. couple of scuffs on a fairing. wife walks over after i had picked it up while i was checkin it out and says dont look here and puts her hand on the tank. yep my knee in the tank. worst day since i owned the bike. even when i hit sand with the rear end and it tossed me at 10 mph. the tank dent broke my heart. ah well after iraq rotation i guess ill have to buy a carbon fiber tank.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
:BangHead: I have done the exact same thing you explained, however I came away with only the bottom (black) plastic scratched. It was on a plywood floor. :redface:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I always worry about the same thing. I got myself trained now to always make sure the kickstand is down...not only down but give it a kick foward to make sure it's locked. It only takes one time to forget but find myself doing it automatically now like you would when you get in your car and automatically reach for the seat belt....but I also had my bike on the rear stand so many times hence the self training in my head...if you rarely put the bike on the Rear stand I can see how it would be easy to forget. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
heh...I now leave the bike in gear when parked...

Worst and lamest moment I've had. I REALLY had to use the chitter on the way home from a bike night. With the riding boots, sometimes it takes a couple times to kick the stand down. Well I thought I had it down, stepped off the bike and, well yeah, bike put me down on the ground. No damage at all, but that was cause it was laying on top of my left leg. :sad: :BangHead:

·
Registered
152 Posts
im glad im not the only one that does this. i was downtown showing off my bike on friday and went to turn to park and somehow turned too sharp and my bike started to go over. now, since im a girl, i have little tiny stick arms with no upper body strength. it started to do the slow-mo fall and a couple biker guys that were down there saw it start to go and saw me straining to keep it off the ground. i was barely keeping it off the ground and one of the guys asked if i had it, i shook my head NO. i was stuck. i refused to let it down, but i wasnt strong enough to pick it up. he came and got it up for me. thank goodness for him!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My most embarrassing thing was when I was young and thought I was hot Sh*t I was leaving one of the local hang out on my first bike in High school a 83' GS-550 I was the only kid in High school that had a bike so it was a big deal, I caught some girls I wanted to impress out of the corner of my eye, so I made a show of putting my gloves and helmet on.... and then I was thinking I should start my bike and let it idle while I pose so I can look even cooler.... well I usually left the bike in first gear when parked even the slightest inlcline, (you see where this is going...) I stood beside the ole Suzuki and dramatacly hit the start button, in gear the tire bumped foward enough to roll up and over the side stand...... yeah crash, ahhh memories of being 16

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sorry to hear that, bummer and so unnecessary when it happens, funny I always eye the side stand out like a hawk when taking the bike off the padock stand, I also always make sure the bike is in gear to so if the bike is knocked forward it's not pushed off the stand.

My most embarrasing moment...............stopped with my old Z650, about 15 years ago, at a stop and my shoe lace hooked on the foot peg weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllll swish WHACK, TIMBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER! :wink:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fall, but don't feel bad. I put a new cold air intake on my Jeep this past weekend and discovered abruptly at about 50 MPH that I neglected to latch the hood.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts