Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've raced a lot with cars. I've taken my 636 to the strip one time before this and thought I did reasonably well for a beginner on a bike. This time I took my bike back to the strip with more confidence. The only thing that I've changed on the bike from the last visit is the jumper wire mod. Quite honestly I figured that this was probably just blowing smoke up my butt. Wrong. That damn thing pulls freakin hard. I wasn't ready for it. On the top of the rpm range it really pulled harder. My times were actually bad enough that I don't even want to post them. Four out of five passes I missed 2nd gear. I'm thinking (my own reasoning) that I was trying to shift too high and it wouldn't go. One pass after it wouldn't go into second, it wouldn't go into any gear at all until I slowed down on the return road and finall got it into first. Not sure what happened there at all. Anyway the front end just wanted to keep coming up. Every damn time. I've never had to fight that bike that hard to keep the front end down in first and even second. I need more time still and I need to get past my fear of the front end coming up. It just came up too fast and too easy. To make a long story short, the whole reason for this post is to say that I don't see how you guys do it. My bike is nowhere near a 10r. How in the heck do you guys keep those things under 5000 feet? Just had to vent a little.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
when launching i use alot of clutch. i dunno how others do it but i get it right around 8k. light hits green let it out just enough so the front wheel is just a few inches off the ground everytime it sinks let it out more and more. takes some practice im still not good at it.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
mattfr12 said:
when launching i use alot of clutch. i dunno how others do it but i get it right around 8k. light hits green let it out just enough so the front wheel is just a few inches off the ground everytime it sinks let it out more and more. takes some practice im still not good at it.
:+1: :iamwithst I used to bounce it off the limiter when launching and slip the clutch, but with my new clutch its a whole new ball game.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
mattfr12 said:
not a drag racer but yeah around 8k is the way to go:thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
one way is by an arm and you have to be really good with the clutch I have an 14 inch arm on my 10 and it still power wheelies in 2nd other then that lower it

·
Registered
97 Posts
To prevent wheelies lower and strap your bike. I did that with mine after i regeared it and i have had no problems since. Also try taking off your seat, it will greatly lower you center of gravity and put your chest on top of the tank which in turn puts more weight on the front end. With your shifting, are you using the clutch? It would be faster for you to just use your foot, thats what i do. With launching (sorry this is out of order...) Get your bike dyno tuned and figure out what your max torque is (probally around 8k) that is the best place for you to launch your bike at. Oh and when you say raced cars? do you mean you raced cars or you raced cars against your bike? Because honestly anything shy of 450-500hp in a car is not going to do shit compared to a bike on the street.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to get more seat time before I try lowering and strapping it. Although, this is what my buddy did with his GSXR600 with good results. I know I'll try it, I'm just frustrated with myself for now. Good idea about the seat. I've never thought of that. Yes, I do use the clutch, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm sure not the fastest at it. The first time I was at the track I was trying to start off at about 8k. Didn't have a reason, it just seemed like a good place to start. My second time (frustrating time), I was trying to use the advice of a friend with a Busa. He said to come out very high and feather the clutch the whole way. Didn't do too well at that. And yes, I raced a car. Like everybody else, it was an 89 Mustang coupe. With all the friends with comparable times (same car), and their dyno results, I should have been in the 500-600 rwhp range. Unfortunately, I never dynoed it with the bottle. On motor it wasn't anything special. Even on the street, and with the bottle, traction just wasn't there so a bike would get out on you every time and stay there. I think that one of my biggest problems is that I just got too used to going to a strip with the available traction. Heat the slicks, line it up, put her to the floor, push the button, drop the clutch, and hold on. Once you get all the movements syncronized, the rest is a no-brainer. The front end coming up in the car was a blast every time. The front end coming up on the bike makes me rethink how to do things.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
20incher said:
Because honestly anything shy of 450-500hp in a car is not going to do shit compared to a bike on the street.
It takes more than 450-500 rwhp to beat a bike on the street or the track with a decent rider.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry i was referring to a 600CC. From a roll i have been beaten by a 550hp car but have stomped on cars with about 400-480. So that was my logic, I dont care for roll races anyhow and to get a car to line up from a dig with a bike on the street is like asking satan to play nice, it probally wont happen. At the track i avoid talking with the owners of cars, just to much cockyness...and lies. Thats also why i said anything shy of that amount of HP isnt going to do much, because it would take much more. Sorry if this was a ramble im in a hurry to get to my next class...

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
1killer1liter said:
It takes more than 450-500 rwhp to beat a bike on the street or the track with a decent rider.
i agree.... my ram air T/A dynoed at 430 rwhp a while back, and i consider myself a good driver, and like i said b4, i can beat most 600s FROM A ROLL.... and some 750's from a roll, but literbikes... nope... and i've got an 03 r1 w/ A LOT of mods, and i've raced my friend on my bike and me in my car, and vise versa... no comparision, bike all the way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts