Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im lost with this i was at the track last weekend and my bike was jumping to neutral, I was geared 17\47 but when i put my 16\45 back on it dont do it.

I was street riding and it never jumped out of gear not one time, I started in 1st to 6th gear didnt jump out not one time

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Gun it and see if it does it. When it jumps back into neutral from 2nd like that it means ur transmission is going

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gun it and see if it does it. When it jumps back into neutral from 2nd like that it means ur transmission is going
My Gen 2 is starting to do this, not very often though. Normally when i gun it in first, clutchless shift into 2nd, then gun it again. It picks up, then drops out, making me bounce the limiter in neutral.....

And its normally when warming up (not from cold though, after a slow ride out the streets onto the highway, and after warming up on the driveway til the temp starts reading more then 50deg Celsius.)

Doesnt happen everytime. And when powering on in 2nd, It doesnt happen. Just when shifting from 1st to 2nd. With or without the clutch. You reckon thats the transmission too? Is it gonna be an expensive repair/replace? or is it game over for the bike?

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Its not game over for the bike, but it will be expensive if a shop does it. It sounds like the dog legs in the gear are wearing down and its causing it to pop out

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
As BigCat said your transmission may be going out. One other CHEAP thing to try first is adjust your shift lever down a little bit. You might be doing lazy shifts and the gears arent engaging all the way and popping out. I had this issue with my Gen 1 and adjusting the shifter eliminated the problem.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Yea if u lazy shift and aren't engaging the gears all the way it'll wear the dog legs out and then it will wear them down too much and itll never full engage and will always pop out

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did just play with my ajustments i just done my tranny last year its not that hard of a job if you dont mind working on your bike.

·
Registered
988 Posts
GP shift for drag racing eliminates all the lazy shifts.....I may never go back to conventional shifing again

·
Registered
221 Posts
im having this same issue on my bike :BangHead:.. i adjusted the shifter lower and it still jump it's driving me crazy.. i got a used tranny from ebay waiting for it on the mail to change it... i was wondering when i do open the motor to change the tranny is there something in particular i should be looking for in the gears to make sure thats were the problem is?

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
im having this same issue on my bike :BangHead:.. i adjusted the shifter lower and it still jump it's driving me crazy.. i got a used tranny from ebay waiting for it on the mail to change it... i was wondering when i do open the motor to change the tranny is there something in particular i should be looking for in the gears to make sure thats were the problem is?
When you look at your gears start with first which is the biggest gear and should be fine. Look at the next gear on the shaft which is 2nd. There are windows in the middle of the gear. To the left and right side of the window is where the dogs catch the gear when you shift. When the edges are kind of rounded off that's why it will jump out of gear. It should be a straight edge. But if its bad you will be able to see the marks of where it's rounded off.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
221 Posts
When you look at your gears start with first which is the biggest gear and should be fine. Look at the next gear on the shaft which is 2nd. There are windows in the middle of the gear. To the left and right side of the window is where the dogs catch the gear when you shift. When the edges are kind of rounded off that's why it will jump out of gear. It should be a straight edge. But if its bad you will be able to see the marks of where it's rounded off.

sounds good i have looked for a how to change the tranny on here havent find anything guess I'll take some pics while im doing it and post them later.. then i will get lots of critics as to how i did it(LOL) but at least someone will have and idea of how to..

thanx for the info tho... should i change the shift drum as well?

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
sounds good i have looked for a how to change the tranny on here havent find anything guess I'll take some pics while im doing it and post them later.. then i will get lots of critics as to how i did it(LOL) but at least someone will have and idea of how to..

thanx for the info tho... should i change the shift drum as well?
All 3 shift forks should be brand new AT THE VERY LEAST. You'll have to inspect the drum when you look at it to see if there are any issues with it and see if it can be reused. Most likely your existing tranny is just fine and it's a worn/bent shift fork that is your issue. I've never seen a gear dog worn to the point it caused the gears to kick out. Most problems are related to the drum and/or shift forks worn to the point where the gears don't fully engage and they kick out under acceleration.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be shift forks if it doesn't jump out of gear if you use your clutch to shift. I'm my instance anyway. Hell I may be way off :dontknow:

The shift forks are stationary while the gears are spinning. They will wear down over time just based on the fact that they rub on the gear pairs. It doesn't matter that the clutch is being used or not, and in fact, preloading the shift lever at all for even clutchless shifts puts more force on the forks and wears them faster and/or bends them.

All of the trannies I've seen have slightly rounded gear dogs on the edges from the dogs mating with the slots in the next gear. It's inevitable, unavoidable, and doesn't affect the performance. It's farther down the gear dog where the load is placed once the gear pairs are mated together. But, if the forks are worn down or bent, the gear pairs do not fully engage each other and are closer to the edge and because they aren't fully mated together, they jump out under acceleration.

On my old ZX-7R, the shift drum was the issue as a corner of the slot where the shift fork rides in got rounded off and would allow the gears to kick apart. But Kawi trannies are usually bullet-proof in regards to the gears themselves and the gear dogs are ever-so-slightly undercut to help out with this issue. It's possible that its the gears themselves, but very, very remote IMO.

I'll see if I can dig out the old tranny parts I have to post some pics of what I mean later tonight.

I think SpOoNpR wasted his money buying used transmission shafts when I'd bet it's a fork or drum problem.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The shift forks are stationary while the gears are spinning. They will wear down over time just based on the fact that they rub on the gear pairs. It doesn't matter that the clutch is being used or not, and in fact, preloading the shift lever at all for even clutchless shifts puts more force on the forks and wears them faster and/or bends them.

All of the trannies I've seen have slightly rounded gear dogs on the edges from the dogs mating with the slots in the next gear. It's inevitable, unavoidable, and doesn't affect the performance. It's farther down the gear dog where the load is placed once the gear pairs are mated together. But, if the forks are worn down or bent, the gear pairs do not fully engage each other and are closer to the edge and because they aren't fully mated together, they jump out under acceleration.

On my old ZX-7R, the shift drum was the issue as a corner of the slot where the shift fork rides in got rounded off and would allow the gears to kick apart. But Kawi trannies are usually bullet-proof in regards to the gears themselves and the gear dogs are ever-so-slightly undercut to help out with this issue. It's possible that its the gears themselves, but very, very remote IMO.

I'll see if I can dig out the old tranny parts I have to post some pics of what I mean later tonight.

I think SpOoNpR wasted his money buying used transmission shafts when I'd bet it's a fork or drum problem.

you could be right about me waisting my money, i got it for a little over $100 so i don't mind having it around if it turns out to be the drum itself or the forks.. i got my 2009 10 from a insurance auction. it had extensive damage but the engine appear to be in good condition. the tach only had 1890 miles on it. i have been ridding it for a little over 4-5 months now.. i have install a Bazzaz FI TC with quick shifter /auto tune and everything else you can imagine to this bike and still have only invested less than 6000.. im thinking that since the bike was involved in an accident maybe that's what's causing the issue. it had front and right side damage when i got it.. i repalced the engine covers with some woodcraft covers and it strated right away no problems.. i did open the crack cover to see if it had any metal or anything after the first time i drove it around for a little while n everything seemd ok.. i'll look into getting the drum and forks as well.. it does not hurt to have spare parts specially since this is going to be a mostly track bike... but guys im still learing how to work with this bike so any help/advice you guys have for me is well taken.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I think the 08 and 09 had a problem with the shift shaft cracking and the 2010 shaft swap was a fix for this as they beefed it up in the weak area. I think you were talking about your 09? The original title says Gen1 so I am not sure.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think the 08 and 09 had a problem with the shift shaft cracking and the 2010 shaft swap was a fix for this as they beefed it up in the weak area. I think you were talking about your 09? The original title says Gen1 so I am not sure.
i was doing a search on it before i posted anything and found this.. sorry i piggy back of it

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
That shift shaft was only an issue in '08. They redesigned it for the '09+ models. So unless it got damaged in the accident, it's not likely to be the issue either. I say "likely", as it could still be damaged and worth a look. But even the '08s had a microfracture issue that was almost unnoticeable by looking at it.

And yes, these latest responses are to the thread revival by SpOoNpR on his '09, not the initial thread question.

·
Registered
988 Posts
on a similar note....I did the shift star and arm conversion form 04 to the improved 05 design....ran about 45 bucks(beats Factory Pro). Shifted through the gears on the bench, seemed to be a perfect alignment. Excited to see how it feels in the spring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
on a side note, i saw acouple extended drag bike, if your drag racing take the kickstand switch off! I Thought mine was jumping in and out of gear and couldnt find what was wrong, when leaving the line hard in 1st gear it was making the kickstand move around enough to cut the engine in and out

1 - 20 of 29 Posts