Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to know if anybody it's in the national guard. and if you can give me some info like do you have to be there every day or do you come back home after your training and best mos well thanks for all info
 

·
MIA Post Whore
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
was in for eight years. after basic and advanced training you are a "weekend warrior". One weekend a month and then a two week annual training in the summer. Here's the catch... those parameters can change at any time and you'll have no say. Also the guard is longer the guys least likely to go. After the military downsizing post Desert Storm, the gaurd and reserve are used quite a bit especially the logistics units. In all, i really enjoyed my time in the guard. Serving during huricanes and floods wasn't exactly fun, but left me with a since of having helped my neighbors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
No Guard!!

dude take my advise! you DO NOT want to be a weekend warrior and get the minimum training. GO ACTIVE or go home! I am out now and we used to train the Nasty girls!
Do you know you most likey WILL get sent overseas?? my friend is in the guard now (fellow ex ranger) and hates it! they do not get good gear and been to Iraq 2 times and just got married!!
did you see the stats on what most of the injuries and dead are over there? NG or Reserve
take a guess?? not their fault! they are just weekend warriors thrown into the crap!
PLUS it WILL take up the weekends you have things planned and get very little money for all the BS!
during basic you will be there 24/7 and then ait training and then home.
there is a FEW good things about it. they do offer money for school but not enough for the crap you do!!
sorry to sound so rough but SOMEONE has to be honest with you on this!!

your life , my opinion!

rangers lead the way!!
 

·
MIA Post Whore
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
10R-rugger said:
dude take my advise! .......your life , my opinion!

rangers lead the way!!
Typical RA a-hole- :thefinger <fuggen with ya>

There are some very valid points here. Gear can be a problem. Depending on your unit you could end up with a bunch of slackers who don't take training seriously and only join for the school bennifts. Many got the shit beat out of them during desert storm- I wasn't dying for someone else's lack of training.... If I had it to do over i would have gone reg Army (or Air force) and would have at least gotten into a MOS that would have translated to a cilivian job. I joined 10 days after my 17th b-day. I wanted to be a bad ass... 11 series idiot fo sho
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
536 Posts
Ng

yes go reular army then maybe go NG?

they are STILL getting the SH*t beat out of them now in Iraq!

11b rocks man!! it just got me my new job in Nasa Security and NOW 1st week in NASA SWAT! so 11b rocks for me!!

later man!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
10R-rugger said:
dude take my advise! you DO NOT want to be a weekend warrior and get the minimum training. GO ACTIVE or go home! I am out now and we used to train the Nasty girls!
Do you know you most likey WILL get sent overseas?? my friend is in the guard now (fellow ex ranger) and hates it! they do not get good gear and been to Iraq 2 times and just got married!!
did you see the stats on what most of the injuries and dead are over there? NG or Reserve
take a guess?? not their fault! they are just weekend warriors thrown into the crap!
PLUS it WILL take up the weekends you have things planned and get very little money for all the BS!
during basic you will be there 24/7 and then ait training and then home.
there is a FEW good things about it. they do offer money for school but not enough for the crap you do!!
sorry to sound so rough but SOMEONE has to be honest with you on this!!

your life , my opinion!

rangers lead the way!!
:bs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
well from my experience by being in the navy for three years, i have already made E5, and have not had any problems really with anything except sea sickness, i would recommend that you do all the research you can about every branch of service. the navy and marines have some similarities just because we work together alot, but the army and airforce are so much different. Ask your recruiter everything and if you're in doubt or want any specifics about something let me know.

this website has a lot of info on all the branches.

www.military.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
miykl said:
Typical RA a-hole- :thefinger <fuggen with ya>

There are some very valid points here. Gear can be a problem. Depending on your unit you could end up with a bunch of slackers who don't take training seriously and only join for the school bennifts. Many got the shit beat out of them during desert storm- I wasn't dying for someone else's lack of training.... If I had it to do over i would have gone reg Army (or Air force) and would have at least gotten into a MOS that would have translated to a cilivian job. I joined 10 days after my 17th b-day. I wanted to be a bad ass... 11 series idiot fo sho
I have got to agree with some of this here. Gear is sent out to units that will need it the MOST. That is a bad thing. However, the years of fat, slacker, no PT, no training Army Guard days are over. With the role we serve today it is much different.

Example....many of my friends have been deployed and came back saying that the RA (they were attached to) wanted them to deploy again with them. And that unit was the 101st.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
ela89gixxer said:
just want to know if anybody it's in the national guard. and if you can give me some info like do you have to be there every day or do you come back home after your training and best mos well thanks for all info

As we all know it is about numbers to these damn recruiters...:badteeth:

Oh wait I am a recruiter for the Army Guard....:eyecrazy:

Since the Guard is state by state I could not get the number unless you live in Alabama.

So...If you want some real honest info pm me and we will talk. :hello:
 

·
MIA Post Whore
Joined
·
8,727 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
, the years of fat, slacker, no PT, no training Army Guard days are over. With the role we serve today it is much different. .
I would hope so. many of the guys I served with joined on for the Tution exemption offerred in Louisiana. They never thought they would do anything more than fill sand bags or guard buisnesses. After DS most didn't re-up. I got out only b/c of the political BS in my unit. Let's just say I didn't hide my lack of respect for the dumb shit platoon sgt very well (CO's brother in law).

ela- The military, no matter what branch you choose, is just like any other aspect of life. It'll be what you make of it. Do your research and make the best informed decission you can. good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Definitley talk to all recruiters and find out your options. I've been in the Marine Corps for almost 3 years now. Didn't talk to any other branches(the second biggest mistake of my life), my buddy said "Lety's join the Core". The military lifestyle isn't for everyone, being so structured and all. If I wasn't married and lived off base, my life would suck. Especially if you join when you're a little older like I did(the biggest mistake), I'm a 24 yr old Lcpl taking orders from 19 and 20 yr old Cpl's and Sgt's. Just look into your options before you decide anything. THANK GOD I HAVE A 10R!!!
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
:+1:

Everyone’s situation is different meaning the reason to go National Guard. National Guard members vary so much in what they are looking for….just like active duty but with a little different flavor as you are a civilian during the most weeks and are also serving a STATE as well.

I can’t give insight on what it’s like to be a civilian and go through basic and come back home to look for training and serve your local National Guard unit. I started out Active Duty and when I got out with almost 10yrs of service I did the other half to retire in the National Guard.

The advice I can give is what I saw what was happening from the pure National Guardsmans in the Air Force in my unit.

I seen young and old guys and gals comeback and did well. Then there are those that say I want my weekends back, or It’s not my thing and get out one way or another.

Also, it depends on your unit and where you are assigned within your unit to get more opportunities. Sometimes they are there to advance and sometimes their not as much but you have to work at it on your off time to be the best. That means get an AA or degree while in so you can make opportunities or learn your job better…whatever it takes to stand out in your Unit. It’s a hard call f’sho, but I seen over the years many that had a great advantage being in the National Guard.

I seen Guard members get jobs by just being in the Military as it shows a commitment and are tested for drugs as well.

I seen basic Airman become commanders of my unit over time(went to officer school with a degree while serving) and a major factor now in troop development. There are many many other reasons to go or not to go. The best thing you can do is research your unit history and see if that’s something you think you can handle or if it’s for you.

Just remember the National Guard has priority to protect your country first and your state next…. So take that oath seriously. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
bluedevil said:
:+1:

Everyone’s situation is different meaning the reason to go National Guard. National Guard members vary so much in what they are looking for….just like active duty but with a little different flavor as you are a civilian during the most weeks and are also serving a STATE as well.

I can’t give insight on what it’s like to be a civilian and go through basic and come back home to look for training and serve your local National Guard unit. I started out Active Duty and when I got out with almost 10yrs of service I did the other half to retire in the National Guard.

The advice I can give is what I saw what was happening from the pure National Guardsmans in the Air Force in my unit.

I seen young and old guys and gals comeback and did well. Then there are those that say I want my weekends back, or It’s not my thing and get out one way or another.

Also, it depends on your unit and where you are assigned within your unit to get more opportunities. Sometimes they are there to advance and sometimes their not as much but you have to work at it on your off time to be the best. That means get an AA or degree while in so you can make opportunities or learn your job better…whatever it takes to stand out in your Unit. It’s a hard call f’sho, but I seen over the years many that had a great advantage being in the National Guard.

I seen Guard members get jobs by just being in the Military as it shows a commitment and are tested for drugs as well.

I seen basic Airman become commanders of my unit over time(went to officer school with a degree while serving) and a major factor now in troop development. There are many many other reasons to go or not to go. The best thing you can do is research your unit history and see if that’s something you think you can handle or if it’s for you.

Just remember the National Guard has priority to protect your country first and your state next…. So take that oath seriously. :wink:
Well said and thanks Blue:thumbsup:
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
Well said and thanks Blue:thumbsup:
I just thought since I did over 10yrs National Guard I should give some input albeit Air Force but it relates to the topic. Hoped I helped out in someway for those thinking about the National Guard. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,795 Posts
bluedevil said:
I just thought since I did over 10yrs National Guard I should give some input albeit Air Force but it relates to the topic. Hoped I helped out in someway for those thinking about the National Guard. :thumbsup:
Now that you have put your input in, being a very respected member here, I will go.

I have been in the Army Guard for 14 years (10 years drilling and 4 years Active Duty Guard) so I have seen the transformation that has happened.

The Guard is not for everyone because it depends on what YOU want to get out of it.

It all depends on you.

Be ready and be in shape cause the Guard is slowly trending toward Active Duty because of the role we play. Which is two roles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
Example....many of my friends have been deployed and came back saying that the RA (they were attached to) wanted them to deploy again with them. And that unit was the 101st.
What brigade/regiment of the 101?
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
morrisjl2 said:
Now that you have put your input in, being a very respected member here, I will go.

I have been in the Army Guard for 14 years (10 years drilling and 4 years Active Duty Guard) so I have seen the transformation that has happened.

The Guard is not for everyone because it depends on what YOU want to get out of it.

It all depends on you.

Be ready and be in shape cause the Guard is slowly trending toward Active Duty because of the role we play. Which is two roles.
That is trully the trend. Here in California it was just anounced that the National Guard will be helping now to protect the borders of Mexico. The tasks of a Guardsman is limitless, meaning you are expected to perform any task an Active Duty Unit can. I can tell you my National Guard Unit was that capable, we got trained and had tasks to take over Active Duty Units in the past during some wars. Sometimes we go and sometimes you don't but we were ready. The National Guard is no longer your hang out on weekends thing. :headshake:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
I will add a little more info I did it backwards from most people I went Reserve first then I went active there was a reason for this and it might affect you also.
I had a good job when I went reserve got laid off and was able to fall back on my training and go active which I think was a good choice at the time it made me grow up alot. Talk to your recruiters and get all the info you can and be real careful choosing MOS. There are so many choices of careers in the service now there are a select few that chose 11b and get good jobs in the civilian world rank is faster as 11b but your job options once you get out are limited. If you make high enough scores on your test when you go in there is no limits to what you can be. I was told by my scores that I was best suited for Electronic Warfare and like a dumbass I did not do it I was 62e Heavy Construction Equipment Operator it was fun got to train in demolition and all the other Combat Engineer stuff then when I got out all the jobs I applied for sayed they would have to retrain me because I was trained in the Army. It can be a good life for the right person if you chose a job you enjoy and look at it this way get a civil service job and work on an early retirement also Gaurd get discounts on there tags for there vehicles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,118 Posts
um, recruiters will say what it takes to meet their goals, i was one of them on the officer side and worked with the enlisted side also. not saying they are out to get you, but of course its nothing but the best of everything when they tell you, who wants to hear bad. listen to those that have done it. positive thing with the guard vs active is that you can pretty much stay in one spot vs moving every so often, if that is important to you. i am active duty, i like moving around, but then again i am not married, and dont have any kids.
 

·
Bloo Moderator
Joined
·
23,742 Posts
RickRoush03 said:
positive thing with the guard vs active is that you can pretty much stay in one spot vs moving every so often, if that is important to you. i am active duty, i like moving around, but then again i am not married, and dont have any kids.
That was my main reason for getting out of Active Duty. I lived overseas for 5yrs in 3 different countries/territories than come back to the states in a unit that travels all the time. Then I could get transfered across the states again after that assignment. Since I did all my travel while young and lived a lot in those years while single I thought it was best to settle in one place.

Like I said everyone is different and has different goals, but in the National Guard if you want to go somewhere else or stay in one place, even if you do get activated for a year or 2 you have a right to stay where you started.:wink:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top