Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lookin around for awhile at a few different rigs and narrowed it down to 2 possible choices, either a 98 Jeep grand cherokee limited 5.9 or a 97-2000 Wrangler TJ. I know they are on differnet ends of the spectrum in terms of what they are but I'm just a jeep guy at heart, grew up around them an just have a soft spot for them. Mainly lookin at automatics since I do a lot of driving for work and am tired of shifting every 2 seconds while sitting in traffic.

I'm wondering about major mechanical issues, tranny, V8 engine, electrical on the Grand Cherokee and electrical and automatic tranny issues on the Wrangler. Jeepforums.com was slightly helpful but most of those guys break stuff from wheelin the hell out of their rigs so normal issues don't come up much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a tj with over 200000 miles never replaced any thing mechanical but the waterpump the only issue I have had is the climate control switches I have replaced three @ 100$ apiece I don't drive it daily anymore because of the gas mileage 15 to 16 mpg.Purchased brand new in 2000 auto & hardtop.If you can keep gas in it they will run forever just my 2 cents

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have had jeeps since I was a kid. I've had CJ5s CJ7s(one with a chevy 350) YJ TJ even a Cherokee. They are cold in the winter, Handle terrible, get crappy mileage and won't get out of their own way on the highway, but when my 97TJ finally gives up the ghost I will most likely get another one. They will run forever if you keep aware of a few things: I can't speak to the 98 Cherokee because i've never had one but I will say with auto transmissions get an auxilliary trans fluid cooler. It saved my 1990 cherokee. The 4.0 engines in the wranglers have a tendency to crack exhaust manifolds-get a header with expansion chambers-under $100, Also periodically check the intake/exhaust manifold bolts and valve cover bolts-they tend to vibrate loose. I had one catch on fire because it leaked oil onto the exhaust manifold. The water pumps go at a little over 100K miles like clockwork, not hard to replace. i've never had an electrical issue. I reccommend paying attention to the u-joints on higher mileage jeeps. I couldn't be happier with my TJ. The have unbelievable re-sale value too.

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
Mainly lookin at automatics since I do a lot of driving for work and am tired of shifting every 2 seconds while sitting in traffic.

You should get a scooter, then you wouldnt have to worry about shifting, and just go around the traffic.:helmet::lol:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mainly lookin at automatics since I do a lot of driving for work and am tired of shifting every 2 seconds while sitting in traffic.

You should get a scooter, then you wouldnt have to worry about shifting, and just go around the traffic.:helmet::lol:
Hell yea, strap a nitrous bottle to that sucker, hit the sidewalk and race old folks on their Rascals!

·
Gun Owning Republican
5,278 Posts
I had a 1995 Jeep Wrangler...I owned it for 9 years...Loved it. Sold it to a friend who still has it...Best car ever and fun to own. I would buy another one but my wife hated it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
as far as the tj go if your in a area where they use salt on the roads in winter just forget about it. they arent salt freindly and especially corrode at all the hinges... all the hinges, and look heinous in a couple of years. exaughst manifold cracking, interior leaks, and weak front and rear differentials (if big tired). the grands look for ac problems that can be x pen ive to fix, verify their "auto full time 4 wheel drive" works as its a bit of a odd system. if big tire`d weak diffs. i`ve owned and own a lifted grand and previously a lifted yj ( a older tj). the grand is a real nice all around vehicle around town and road trip wise... if you like 14 mpg...the yj was cooler but was a crime to drive in buffalo ny winters , which i only briefly did and was cold and basically uncomfortable...but cool...7inches of lift and 35`s, whatever. even stock for a dailey driver the grand is hands down the way to go.

·
Registered
536 Posts
DUDE that is a EASY choice!!

the WRANGLER!!! make sure it is NOT a 4cyl.
it MUST be the 6cyl. 4.0L

it will last forever!!!

have a 99 myself!
NO major issues!

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i've had 3 xjs and one tj, and my dad still drives my first xj. its a 97 with 202k on it. replaced a clutch at 175k, power steering pump at 190k and i just did new control arm bushings on the front. thats it. i bought it used/wrecked with 11k on it in 2000, replaced all the front end body parts and been driving it ever since.

as someone who works on drivetrains everyday, i would HIGHLY advise staying away from the grand cherokees with the "full-time" 4 wheel drive. the 4wd shifter in these simply has a 4wd full time, neutral and 4-low. these models blow from axles like no tomorrow. and the steering is terrible, like someone is always trying to turn the wheel the opposite of what you are trying to do. come to think of it, its like driving a normal jeep in 4-hi on the road, something just feels wrong. good luck man!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
3 Jeep Wranglers.

Good for 200K miles. I've owned three over the years. The other guys are correct - water pumps at 100K. Otherwise, there is nothing much else goes wrong. The 6-cylinder is like a tractor engine. Years and years later, still runs fine. Change the oil as recommended. There is no part, including frames or bodies that you can't find a replacement for. Just try that with ANY OTHER CAR or TRUCK out there. Great for squeezing into tight spots in the city - or between trees in the woods. Yeah, they have a "lively" ride, but I consider that a plus for a nice back massage!

:lol:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have a 99 grandcherokee 4.7v8,it has had electrical problems,transmission problems,and is constantly going thru speed sensors!:headshake

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm wondering about major mechanical issues, tranny, V8 engine, electrical on the Grand Cherokee and electrical and automatic tranny issues on the Wrangler.
Its all about the maintenance man.:ayyy: Like others said, service it and take care of it... they'll go a long ways.
Only scurry thing that comes to mind about the straight 6 jeep motor... 2 piece rear main seal :sad:. They tend to leak allot. But hey, good friend has a 93 Cherokee 6... 265K miles ORGINAL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION :eyecrazy:
Again, all about the maintenance.

:eek:ccasion1:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm pretty familiar with the inline 6 as thats what my old YJ had and my bro's cherokee has as well. I'm going out to look at a couple TJ's I found on craigslist so we'll see what happens. I pretty much nixed the idea of the grand cherokee after talking to my axle guy, he said that I either need to swap out the full time AWD xfer case for a part time from a jeep TJ/XJ or replace the front axle and build it up but doing both would be best, he also said the rear axles tend to be pretty weak when really hammered on or you run big tires.

I did come across some interesting info regarding 5.2/5.9 Magnum V8 swaps into TJ's so I may go cheap and pick up a high mileage 4 banger and go that route, can't have enough power IMHO! Found out it doesn't cost all that much to pull off the swap and I already located a low mileage (57K) motor/tranny/X-fer case set for $2500.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts