Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you jack up the 10r from the bottom of the header? Will the header dent in? I have to take off my steering head to polish it. My keys chipped the hell out of the paint on the steering head.

·
Registered
370 Posts
junjun said:
Do you jack up the 10r from the bottom of the header? Will the header dent in? I have to take off my steering head to polish it. My keys chipped the hell out of the paint on the steering head.
OMFG NOES!!!11!

Heh. If I were you, I'd be seriously hesitant about resting even the scant weight of your dainty bike on the header. There's gotta be a better jack point down there somewhere, but I'll admit I haven't used it and so haven't found it. Anyone?

·
Supercharged Mod
4,391 Posts
I have an overhead rig in my basement that lets me lift either end of a bike and hang it from any convenient point, using a couple of tie-down straps. If I have to change steering head bearings, I find a way to hang it from the frame, with a paddock stand under the swingarm to stabilize it.

·
I really need to get out of the house
11,176 Posts
kwantam said:
junjun said:
OMFG NOES!!!11!

Heh. If I were you, I'd be seriously hesitant about resting even the scant weight of your dainty bike on the header. There's gotta be a better jack point down there somewhere, but I'll admit I haven't used it and so haven't found it. Anyone?
It does sound crazy useing a jack but in the service manual they show a jack being used to remove the front wheel. :eek:
Still I wouldn't use one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You'll be surprised at how strong those headers are. I jack mine up from there and there's no problem. It's not like ALL the bikes weight is on the header, just some of it. The kickstand and rear tire bear most of the load. I'd just make sure you don't jack it up too high and tip it over. I always make sure I have a spotter when I have the bike teetering on a jack. And use a piece of 2x4 between the jack and header. This will keep from marring the metal and distribute the weight a bit better. Hope that helps guys. BTW, that's how I do it at home and that's how we do it here at the dealership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At our service dept almost all bikes are jacked up from under the header pipes. It's usually the strongest point available.
I've jacked my 10R up from under the headers with no problem. Also as I look through the door the the service dept, there are currently four ZX-10Rs with their front wheels up, jacks under the headers (front wheel changes)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless you are going to remove the steering stem or triple clamps, a stem stand works much better than a jack. Great for removing the front tire or the forks. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I prefer to use the PitBull under the fork tubes or in the steering stem whenever possible. But in watching my dealer change the front wheel for the recall, 1st thing they did was secure the rear wheel and then take a jack with a piece of wood on top of it and lift the front of the bike by the headers. He knew I was right there watching. Kinda think it'd be foolish of them to do that if there was a strong chance of damaging the headers/engine with that method and me right there watching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts