Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I hate to create a new thread on this but for some reason the search won't work on my blackberry.. I need to know exactly which wires I need to pull out of the plug and what plug is it? Thanks a lot guys

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
GPS (Gray Connector) can be hard to separate. It has 2 latches. Pry down and keep one latch open using a small screwdriver as shown in the pic. This is the actual connector you will be working with.

Use your thumb to depress and hold the second latch, and pull HARD. It will come apart then.

Otherwise, WITHOUT using the screwdriver it is hard to depress both latches at the same time and seperate the connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the tre was a breeze took about 10 minutes, BUT while I was in there I decided to remove the secondary flies and on one of the flies the head od the screw completely broke off leaving the actual screw in the tap. The fly still came off just leaving the screw in the hole with the head gone...my ? Is, will it be ok to just leave it in there. It doesn't seem like it can go anywhere

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Well the tre was a breeze took about 10 minutes, BUT while I was in there I decided to remove the secondary flies and on one of the flies the head od the screw completely broke off leaving the actual screw in the tap. The fly still came off just leaving the screw in the hole with the head gone...my ? Is, will it be ok to just leave it in there. It doesn't seem like it can go anywhere
Installing a TRE on my 08 this weekend hopefully. Damn mail and holiday weekend! How is it? Improved throttle response?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't rode it yet, I have a pc3 coming next week so I'm just going to leave it apart until then...the hardest part about the install is getting the actual pins out of the plug you have to push them over and pull out at the same time...it hard to explain but if you have to force them out you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I haven't rode it yet, I have a pc3 coming next week so I'm just going to leave it apart until then...the hardest part about the install is getting the actual pins out of the plug you have to push them over and pull out at the same time...it hard to explain but if you have to force them out you are doing it wrong.
Damn layin the bike up for the weekend?:headshake:lol: I'm hopefully getting my pc3 and ivans tre in the mail tomorrow. Cant wait, Ivan swears by the tre, and on the gen 3 it disables the KIMS. We'll see soon I guess. Good luck

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody know if that screw will be ok

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anybody know if that screw will be ok
If that happened to me, I would get some wicking loc-tite, I think its the green one and put a drop or so on it and let it cure for about 24hrs.
Or you can take that part of the intake off and try and drill it out :dontknow:

·
Registered
609 Posts
the hardest part about the install is getting the actual pins out of the plug you have to push them over and pull out at the same time...it hard to explain but if you have to force them out you are doing it wrong.
A third hand makes this easy. One hand to hold the connector, a second to gently lift the pin (I used a small pick tool), a third hand to use small needle nose to gently pull the wire out. As you said no force is needed.

·
Banned
1,056 Posts
A third hand makes this easy. One hand to hold the connector, a second to gently lift the pin (I used a small pick tool), a third hand to use small needle nose to gently pull the wire out. As you said no force is needed.
I bought a special tool from Snap On, only a few bucks, it inserts into the connector, lifts the latch and pushes out the terminal all at the same time.

Works amazing and nice to have around to work on bikes. I will post a pic and part # later.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Ivan's TRE eliminates the gear indicator for the 3rd Gen.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
Yup, that's what happens with Ivan's.

What this guy said.
I've been considering installing the TRE but I want my gear indicator. Anyway to do this??

I read about the healtech and other options but it seems the others function differently as Ivan's mimicks neutral and others 5th or 6th gear which I understand is neutral is better. Also do the others disable KIMS? Any help is appreciated as I've been pulling my hair out over this debacle.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
I've been considering installing the TRE but I want my gear indicator. Anyway to do this??

I read about the healtech and other options but it seems the others function differently as Ivan's mimicks neutral and others 5th or 6th gear which I understand is neutral is better. Also do the others disable KIMS? Any help is appreciated as I've been pulling my hair out over this debacle.

X-TRE from Healtech is the only one that retains gear indicator functions.

KIMS is practically a joke and doesn't really do anything. The activation band is so narrow on the thing, no one has ever reported that it's been activated. After 13k miles on mine, I never once felt it kick in. But to that point, none of them disable it directly.

·
Grease Monkey Bandit
929 Posts
X-TRE from Healtech is the only one that retains gear indicator functions.

KIMS is practically a joke and doesn't really do anything. The activation band is so narrow on the thing, no one has ever reported that it's been activated. After 13k miles on mine, I never once felt it kick in. But to that point, none of them disable it directly.
Any clarification on why neutral or 6th gear is chosen??

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,871 Posts
Any clarification on why neutral or 6th gear is chosen??

The theory behind the TRE is that the fueling/ignition maps are gear-dependant. so if you trick the ECU into thinking it's in a gear that offers a more aggressive fueling/timing than the engine will produce more power all the time. Whether or not neutral vs. 6th (or 5th) offer more than the other is still open for discussion.

Frankly, you're not going to see a radical increase no matter which is used. Throttle responsiveness is the most noticeable change with either unit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts