Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Hey postwhore how'd you beat me to this??? :eek:ccasion1
NEWS 01/10/2009
Ben Spies to move to MotoGP in 2010

Yamaha Motor Company., Ltd herewith confirms that Ben Spies, currently 2nd in the World Superbike Championship, will be moving to the MotoGP Championship in 2010 to join the Tech 3 Yamaha Team. The Texan recently signed a two-year deal with Yamaha, which originally planned for him to remain in World Superbike for one more year before moving to MotoGP in 2011, but Spies and Yamaha together have decided to advance the move by one year. The 25-year-old is currently just three points behind and has just two more World Superbike rounds to contest in his efforts to win his and Yamaha’s first World Superbike title.

“I want to thank Yamaha globally for their faith in me,” said Spies. “They have treated me like royalty! Yamaha just recently allowed me to rethink my contract for 2010-2011; I did sign for WSB for 2010 but after Indy I began thinking of the competition and my age versus waiting until 2011. This was not an easy decision, the Yamaha World Superbike Team crew and especially Massimo (Maio) Meregalli have been fantastic and it’s been great fun to put in a season together. I am hoping that I can give Maio, Laurens Klein Koerkamp and everyone else a championship to remember this year with me. My thanks also extend to ‘Infront’, the promoter of the WSB series, especially Paolo Ciabatti. I have enjoyed his series and this first year racing in Europe. Now I have two challenges, to complete this year giving my best and to move towards new goals in MotoGP. Herve Poncharal at Tech 3 is showing his support by allowing me to come on board with my Crew Chief Tom Houseworth and Gregory Wood, my mechanic, who have both been with me since AMA days. We will have learning curves to overcome next year but I am up for the new goal. I hope to have a good year and my goal is to try and stay in the top 6-8 which, given the talented line up, will be a tall order. With the world upside down, there is one constant for me and that's Yamaha.”

Lin Jarvis, Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing, said “Following the announcement of Ben’s two year deal with Yamaha one month ago, he has reassessed his options and decided that he would like to move to MotoGP sooner rather than later. Yamaha has considered his request and together with Tech 3 we were able to find a way to make it happen. Ben has done a fantastic job in his rookie season in World Superbike and we are very excited to now be welcoming him into our MotoGP program sooner than we originally expected. We believe that Ben will be a fast learner next season and a strong future championship contender. We look forward to working with him in the years ahead“

Laurens Klein Koerkamp of Yamaha Motor Europe commented, "Of course we’re sorry to see Ben leave Yamaha’s World Superbike program and we are currently enjoying a fantastic season with him, but it’s clear that it’s the right decision for Ben’s career and for Yamaha. One of Yamaha’s goals is to bring up future MotoGP talent through Superbike and it is satisfying for us to see that this rider development route is working. Before he moves we still have some serious business to finish with Ben this year at the remaining two rounds!

“Although Ben will be missed I have no doubt that our new World Superbike line-up for next year will see us once again challenging for the title. We will be cheering loudly for Ben in MotoGP and we look forward to seeing him on the YZR-M1.”

·
Registered
890 Posts
this is great news . With Spies Popularity i can see him getting parts right behind Rossi . I think hes going to be a contender right out of the box . Lorenzo is starting to sweat right about now lol. Edward has to knoe hes second fiddle on the team and being the two riders styles are so different Edwards cant be a help to Spies .

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
After seeing Simoncelli perform the way he did in WSBK, him and Spies will constantly be battling for positions 6-8.

I wonder if he'll become a "GP refugee" in a couple years if the economy doesn't get better?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Why does he want to go to GP? He's winning in superbike. Does he think he can beat Rossi or is it the money.
Is this a serious question? MotoGP is the pinnacle to which these guys shoot for. Guys who returm to WSBK is because they couldnt make it in MotoGP. Haga, Bayliss, now Toseland. I could go on and on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think it's going to be a whole new ball game next year. After watching Simoncelli walk over more than half the guys in WSBK, and Spies performance thus far on a inferior bike. Rossi, Lorenzo, Simoncelli, Spies, Pedrosa, and maybe even hayden if he sorts that bike out will be all competing for the top. Not to mention Bautista and others who could also shine.

OH MY LORD I'm way to excited!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think it's going to be a whole new ball game next year. After watching Simoncelli walk over more than half the guys in WSBK, and Spies performance thus far on a inferior bike. Rossi, Lorenzo, Simoncelli, Spies, Pedrosa, and maybe even hayden if he sorts that bike out will be all competing for the top. Not to mention Bautista and others who could also shine.

Oh heeeeeeell yhea!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

If you think Spies is on an inferior bike you're sadly mistaken. :spit:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Greenliner ? In WSB the Yamaha is the BEST bike .
1 Yamaha
2 Ducati
3 Honda
4Suzuki=Kawasaki

It comes down to sponsorship dollars and R&D expenditures. You could use the same order for race teams budget allowances.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Anyone else see a changing of the guards in MotoGP and WSB? The old gp stars in WSB like Corser and Biaggi (also Edwards in MotoGP) dont seem to have the fire to win l . If the oppertunity is there they take it , but they wont push past the limit like they used to. Rossi still does and always will but thats what makes him a legend ... Did anyone read the article in cycle news where Rossi was Amazed how Fast Kenny Roberts SR was at 55Yrs Old and Pushing the TZ750 Dirt tracker over the limit at an exibition

·
Registered
890 Posts
Angus I dont see the big disparity in the tech 3 and the Fiat Yamahas .Only the riders could tell in the chassis dept ,. But the trap speeds are dam close.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
this is great news . With Spies Popularity i can see him getting parts right behind Rossi . I think hes going to be a contender right out of the box . Lorenzo is starting to sweat right about now lol. Edward has to knoe hes second fiddle on the team and being the two riders styles are so different Edwards cant be a help to Spies .
I think Lorenzo is still #2 unless Spies really lights it up next year but I'm sure he's wondering about next year just like any racer is when a new "hotshot" shows up.

I think Edwards and Spies will be able to help each other, too. From what I've seen/heard in the past they're both pretty front-end biased racers.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Phas I didnt mean Spies will replace lorenzo as second yamaha man . I think it would behove yamaha to have Rossi then Lorezo=Spies . But Spies like to run dirt track style backing into turns . Edwards is more of a leaner 250cc style the only time Edwards backs something is when he takes the minvan to walmart . lol

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
i dont know how ben will do but ill be rooting for him and nicky for sure

1 - 20 of 33 Posts