Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is such good news it deserved its own thread lol. MotoGp bikes will be 1000 starting 2012 and possably 2011 if all the manufactures agree. This was done primarily for 2 reasons . 1st was cost. Its easier to get horsepower from a larger engine therfore you dont have to use as much exotic materials. 2nd with WSB becoming so strong as a competitor MotoGP needed the flare of the tire smoking corner exits . It looks like the dirt traker style is back . Hayden and Spies stock just went upand Rossi can now be lured into a couple more of years of riding .

PS Also on the table is possablity of allowing production based bikes onto the to boost the numbers on the grid
the production based bikes would have to able to run a time within a specified amount of the pole sitter as to not be a danger to the faster riders.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
Source/Link?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hopefully they do go back to the larger engines. Not that it would necessarily make races more exciting or closer. It would possibly give the bigger guys Spies,Hayden,Edwards etc an advantage.

·
Chickenstrip Eater
4,075 Posts
They should go back to 2 stroke!
Fuck YES!! :idea: That was balls to the wall, tire peeling, violent highsiding, racing. Not so much on the TC side, more about rider skill!!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
hell yea, now nicky can start to ride like he wants to again.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CPR as for what you said earlyer about Freddie Spencer. ..Fastest rider ever . He did Both styles of riding in one . fast entry speeds, kept midcorner sped and STILL drove off on the exits . No one has been able to do it since .If you even think about it he never could explain how he rode like Doohan and Rainey could . People forget Spencer did run against Rainey and Schwantz and blew them away . It wasnt on a regular basis just at daytona and the trans atlantic series . Wayne Gardner was faster also, but injuries put him out . ( lets say equal with Schwantz)

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
that is good news. Hell, Rossi has one at his house. The last year of the 990's. Yamaha gave rossi his 990 bike to him.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This might seem far fetched but since Rossi has publicly stated he wants 990cc back in a bad way. Could Dorna hold the change till 2012 so Rossi will sign again ... he has become such a popular figure , hes the face of MotoGP . Im not in love with the guy (but he is a Goat member) just thinking business wise .

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I kknow Rossis contract is up at 2010 but hes stated hes signing again for 1 to 2 years . im thinking they might be hanging a carrot out for him with in the uncertain years .... Patrick out of curiousity do you like the idea of 1000cc bikes over 800cc bikes .... Your the bike WSB authority on here . Didnt know if you had opinion one way or anouther in GP

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Im happy the bike are going to be 1000's again. I dont know if it will fix the gaps in each race and make it more like SBK or even better world supersport, but i do think that many of the riders in the field will start to shine again.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im loving the rule change . MotoGP fans are technicaly savy more so than say a NASCAR fan ( A girl that wanted to impress me took me to a NASCar race because her company was a big sponsor , those hicks=fans didnt even know the displacement of the engines but knew what the drivers had for breakfast?) MotoGP fans like high tech v-5 engines, powerslides ect . also Im for the allowing of production 1000cc machines . This will fill the grids AND put an end of speculation that WSB motorcycles would have a chance of winning a GP Race ... Building a Bike from the ground up is an insurmountable advantage .

Here come the shitstorm of a debate lol

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Im loving the rule change . MotoGP fans are technicaly savy more so than say a NASCAR fan ( A girl that wanted to impress me took me to a NASCar race because her company was a big sponsor , those hicks=fans didnt even know the displacement of the engines but knew what the drivers had for breakfast?) MotoGP fans like high tech v-5 engines, powerslides ect . also Im for the allowing of production 1000cc machines . This will fill the grids AND put an end of speculation that WSB motorcycles would have a chance of winning a GP Race ... Building a Bike from the ground up is an insurmountable advantage .

Here come the shitstorm of a debate lol
no debate from me. Most high level motorsports (any kind of racing that requires more feed back than going around in a circle) are going to be more fun to watch and i feel that the fans of say GP and F1 know a lot more about what makes winning a single race such a special thing. Hopefully now with GP bikes being 1000's again, more riders can be successful and the series can grow because of close racing and not just how exotic the whole thing is.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CPR your correct . Just look at Kevin Schwantz in 1992 0r 1994? His suzuki was running 10-12mph down in the traps in fast courses . Yet he won 5-6 races that year. Could you see that happining in this age of computer control? Not a chance . The human factor in motorcycle racing is more important than any other motorsport I know of .

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Road Racing World had an interesting read a couple of months ago that focussed on Rossi's comments on cornering. He believes that there is too much technology in today's bikes and that the rider's input means much less now then it used to. I for one would love to see the electronics become more limited - make the rider work for it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Road Racing World had an interesting read a couple of months ago that focussed on Rossi's comments on cornering. He believes that there is too much technology in today's bikes and that the rider's input means much less now then it used to. I for one would love to see the electronics become more limited - make the rider work for it.
:+1:

If they really wanted tire smoke and corner exit drama, all they need to do is restrict the outrageous amounts of computer aid they can use.

I'm all for the 1000's also...but I wonder if power levels will be through the roof now? If I remember right, the whole point of the 800's was to "slow them down" just a touch. When they went to the 800's, the manufacturers opened up the bags of tricks they had been saving, and soon the 800's made as much power as the 1000s. Now if we apply that same bag of tricks to the 1000's, what sort of power levels will they be running?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
RKWAKI they are doing away with the traction control electronics when they switch to 1000cc in 2012!!!

It was said to be A cost cutting measure along with the fact they say ( and im in ageement ) the MotoGP class needs more flare . And to acchieve this you need more rider involment .

1 - 20 of 81 Posts