Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All... So the company I'm working for is tanking bad and I started the job search a couple of weeks ago even though I wasn't in immediate danger. I was worried at first, but DAYUM! I got hits from all over, had three offers, and finally settled on a job in Dallas making about 80% more than I was (can you say trackday(s)?). So, to all you technology guys out there - we're hot! Again!!

:thumbsup:

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Yes, I've noted the quiet turn around in terms of jobs. However salaries are not really better IMO. At least in the midwest. Glad you landed a job! Congrats! I've been in your shoes twice due to closing / layoff situations. It SUCKS THE BIG ONE FO SHO!

·
Registered
919 Posts
rossiFan said:
Hey All... So the company I'm working for is tanking bad and I started the job search a couple of weeks ago even though I wasn't in immediate danger. I was worried at first, but DAYUM! I got hits from all over, had three offers, and finally settled on a job in Dallas making about 80% more than I was (can you say trackday(s)?). So, to all you technology guys out there - we're hot! Again!!

What does your new company do ?

·
Registered
424 Posts
if you know what your doing then yeah, you will alwaus have a job but i have seen many Paper Tigers (MCSE) that didnt know anything. Im not saying MCSE cert is abd but it doesnt mean you actually know what your doing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seatec said:
if you know what your doing then yeah, you will alwaus have a job but i have seen many Paper Tigers (MCSE) that didnt know anything. Im not saying MCSE cert is abd but it doesnt mean you actually know what your doing.
I agree. I went back for my CS degree, but that just gets your foot in the door. Companies test your personality and tech skills before they extend an offer anymore. Yep - you have to get along with the people there... no a-holes allowed.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
rossiFan said:

Hit me up!! btw- I work for Perot Systems...great company!

also check out http://bbs.tsba.org/index.php & http://www.tsba.org/ Join us for some rides. There's a few members on this board too.

:welcome: to Dallas!

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
:+1: Welcome to Dallas love it and miss it since I work in Detroit and commute every week!

·
Registered
764 Posts
miykl said:
Hit me up!! btw- I work for Perot Systems...great company!

also check out http://bbs.tsba.org/index.php & http://www.tsba.org/ Join us for some rides. There's a few members on this board too.

:welcome: to Dallas!
I know some guys that work for Perot. Actually, one of my former companies is now Perot through various mergers. I interviewed with them last year but accepted a job offer from another company. Based on some inside information I have about them, I wouldn't hessitate to interview with them again if I decide to start looking.

·
Registered
764 Posts
IT industry especially in the federal circles where security clearances are required is especially hot. I know a few guys that get paid a butt load of money but don't do much at all. Oh wait....I just described myself.:badteeth:

·
Registered
746 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
IT industry especially in the federal circles where security clearances are required is especially hot. I know a few guys that get paid a butt load of money but don't do much at all. Oh wait....I just described myself.:badteeth:
Ballpark figure, how much do you mean by a buttload? (Serious question)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
heh heh he said butt.. and now that the IT field is picking up, so are the saleries.. YEAH now I can afford rear tires again

·
Registered
764 Posts
pablodk said:
Ballpark figure, how much do you mean by a buttload? (Serious question)
It's not uncommon to see people who don't have a clue or just sit around all day and get paid in the $70k's to upper $80k's. Those that have been around for a while through job hopping and just basic "experience" can command 6 figures easy. Most of the people who ratchet up their salary are those that stay at a job MAYBE a year if that. It's not uncommon to see anywhere from 10-20% increases in salary per job hop. It's also based on location and need to. But basically the rule of thumb for what one can get salary wise with a clearance compared to a similar non-cleared position is anywheres from $10k-$20k more.

I could have played the game and job hopped more but I didn't. I initially jumped twice in about a year but that was because of conflicts with the companies I was working for. In that year, I saw my salary jump from $42k to $62k with the first job hop. I was severely underpaid by a large defense contractor which shall be unnamed. The second job hop brought me up to $70k. From that point, I got regular pay increases that averaged around 7-8% per year. I recently left that company after what some people in this arena would call an eternity to my new company. That move netted me a $13k bump in my salary which put me well into the 6 figures. I could have been at a higher point in my salary but there are other things that would come into play...one of which is my reputation. I have a rep with the companies that do work in this arena and with the government agency....which to my knowledge is very good based on the outside feedback I get. I want to make sure it stays that way.

Plus I haven't even talked about some of the benefits packages I've been offerred and have received.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Very true about the job hopping. I was offerred a ~30+% increase just recently. That was just base salary b4 project bonuses. Turned it down after some heavy thought. Cash is always tempting but the way I see it, stablity, bennifits, personal time, and a good company culture is more important than the $$$. ...well, the personal time has flown out the window lately but these things come in waves. It'd take winning the lottery to get me to leave Perot any time soon. ...and I don't buy loto tickets! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
746 Posts
ZX10 Guy said:
It's not uncommon to see people who don't have a clue or just sit around all day and get paid in the $70k's to upper $80k's. Those that have been around for a while through job hopping and just basic "experience" can command 6 figures easy. Most of the people who ratchet up their salary are those that stay at a job MAYBE a year if that. It's not uncommon to see anywhere from 10-20% increases in salary per job hop. It's also based on location and need to. But basically the rule of thumb for what one can get salary wise with a clearance compared to a similar non-cleared position is anywheres from $10k-$20k more.

I could have played the game and job hopped more but I didn't. I initially jumped twice in about a year but that was because of conflicts with the companies I was working for. In that year, I saw my salary jump from $42k to $62k with the first job hop. I was severely underpaid by a large defense contractor which shall be unnamed. The second job hop brought me up to $70k. From that point, I got regular pay increases that averaged around 7-8% per year. I recently left that company after what some people in this arena would call an eternity to my new company. That move netted me a $13k bump in my salary which put me well into the 6 figures. I could have been at a higher point in my salary but there are other things that would come into play...one of which is my reputation. I have a rep with the companies that do work in this arena and with the government agency....which to my knowledge is very good based on the outside feedback I get. I want to make sure it stays that way.

Plus I haven't even talked about some of the benefits packages I've been offerred and have received.
Were their initials NG?
I've been w/ my current employer 18 yrs. and hopping to a new job would have to be for a LARGE increase outside of a layoff. I have a decent salary, not like you guys are talking, but my big deal is job satisfaction. I guess if I were to get a layoff notice it would instantly have become the most satisfying, rewarding job I've ever had. Know what I mean?
Tempting to look though, that's why I was asking.

·
Registered
746 Posts
miykl said:
Very true about the job hopping. I was offerred a ~30+% increase just recently. That was just base salary b4 project bonuses. Turned it down after some heavy thought. Cash is always tempting but the way I see it, stablity, bennifits, personal time, and a good company culture is more important than the $$$. ...well, the personal time has flown out the window lately but these things come in waves. It'd take winning the lottery to get me to leave Perot any time soon. ...and I don't buy loto tickets! :mrgreen:
Hmmm, interesting. Good company to work for?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts