Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last nite was riding my 08 ZX10R normally..doing about 80kmph..went to open it up a bit and the clutch slipped..went to shift..but i couldnt shift the gear was stuck in 3rd gear..could not upshift nor downshift..stopped the bike on the side of the road..played with the clutch cable thinking i needed to pull it a bit more, but i could only put it gear with the bike off. brought it home..opened it up, the clutch basket broke from the tip and @ least one clutch broke..there were pieces on a clutch.
this happened to me before
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74242

Has this happened to anyone before or more than once?
When i did replace it the first time, i used a brand new OEM clutch basket and EBC Clutches/springs.
I dont understand why this is happening..the last time i was about to open it up it happened..this time same..The bike only has about 12000KMS and not abused. The last time i thought it was the poor choice of oil that caused that..but i was told here, its not the case, now the oil on the bike is due to be replaced..i havent done anything to the bike (mode wise) and other the the ocassional wheelie..its well taken care of.
Anyone know why or how to prevent this from happening?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
427 Posts
Normally what breaks the clutch basket is the broken clutch plate. The pieces can get caught between the inner, and outer basket and breaks it. Stop useing junk aftermarket clutch plates. You should never use anything but factory clutch plates. The EBC plates are weak, but they are not as bad as Barnett which are the biggest pieces of junk ever invented. Mike.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Personally I find the 08s to have shitty transmissions. I pretty sure I'm going to have some major problems this year thank god I still have warrenty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally what breaks the clutch basket is the broken clutch plate. The pieces can get caught between the inner, and outer basket and breaks it. Stop useing junk aftermarket clutch plates. You should never use anything but factory clutch plates. The EBC plates are weak, but they are not as bad as Barnett which are the biggest pieces of junk ever invented. Mike.
I doubt that as the first time it happened, it had OEM clutches/plates/springs. The only reason i installed them was for longer life. I have installed these clutches on my 08 busa and my 06 Gixxer1000 and i have never had to look back, its only the ZX10R..I'm going to have to replace them, fine, but i would like to know what reason this happened and if its happened to ppl once or more who are 08 Zx10 owners.
the Dealership here is a waste of time and the only thing they maybe good @ it repairing generators they are not up to any standard @ all so im on my own on this, either that or take it to the Suzuki agent who are more reliable but ill have to pull some strings.
If you notice that the time frame between the two mishaps is not too long (05-08-2009) around 9 months later i'm back facing the same issue.. ( just thinking..9 months later it Pops..lol)
Could the Shift Rod have anything to do with this issue? I have read a thread here stating that there issues with the Factory Shift Rods.

·
Registered
620 Posts
First time I heard someone have this problem on the 08. I can't imagin what have caused that mess, good luck putt'in it together.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Get a dragpack from Cycle Concepts. Better than OEM and will last longer too, oh and its cheaper:mrgreen::thumbsup:

803-285-8093

His name is Dwayne,

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
anyone that claims the 08 zx10r tranny is crap is on CRACK. I know a lot of people with the 08s and i've never heard any complaints re; the clutch breaking or tranny issues. I beat my bike on the track too, 12k miles and still orig clutch and everything.. Not sure what the issue is, hope you get it worked out

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
well there sure as hell not all good. When I first got my bike I had my first tranny problem at like 25 kilometers. I was about to leave at a stop light and it wouldn't switch gear at all was just stuck in netural. I was basically jumping on the damn thing to get it to shift for like 2 minutes. Dealer told me it was just a super tight tranny but I fail to see how that would be the case. I have heard of a couple 3rd gens having bent shift forks and I'm pretty sure that's what I have. It has gotten easier to shift but the last major problem I had was back in the summer and the bike had between 3500-4000 kms on it. I was racing a ferrari f430 and the bike didn't want to shift at all. Took 2-3 seconds to really put some force in it change gear. I have aftermarket rearsets now so I'm hoping it was just because there was to much flex in the stock rearsets.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the second time its happened in less than a year, i beat down my other bikes w/out problems i have no idea why this is happening on the 08..its mind boggling.
Another guy here had the same issue but so far its happened to him Once.

redline659- Thank you ill look into that.

spikespiegel- I have no problems with the tranny, its the clutches and basket that i cant get over.

I would like to get to the bottom of this issue thou, as i dont want to be opening it again, 9 months down the line. Then again, i maybe talking to the wrong part of the world, i dont know, my bike aint U.S. Specs, its an 08 orange which didnt come to the states only Canada/Middle east. So i dont know if these bikes have issues or not.
I would appreciate any guides thou that i may have to look into to prevent this from happening again.

·
Caedite Eos Novit Enim Do
2,461 Posts
son oil isn't going to bust your clutch equipment up like that:headshake

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well there sure as hell not all good. When I first got my bike I had my first tranny problem at like 25 kilometers. I was about to leave at a stop light and it wouldn't switch gear at all was just stuck in netural. I was basically jumping on the damn thing to get it to shift for like 2 minutes. Dealer told me it was just a super tight tranny but I fail to see how that would be the case. I have heard of a couple 3rd gens having bent shift forks and I'm pretty sure that's what I have. It has gotten easier to shift but the last major problem I had was back in the summer and the bike had between 3500-4000 kms on it. I was racing a ferrari f430 and the bike didn't want to shift at all. Took 2-3 seconds to really put some force in it change gear. I have aftermarket rearsets now so I'm hoping it was just because there was to much flex in the stock rearsets.
I do think that the shift rod could be a contribuating factor to what is or has happened to me.
Did they change ur Shift Rod?..My gear box is smooth and shifts very smoothly..actually better than my K6 1K.
But thats exactly what happened to me last nite..it got stuck in 3rd gear and it would not [email protected] all..i tried to open it up a bit but i got slipage in the clutch.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That looks to be caused by a faulty clutch plate. If one tab is wider than the others it will put uneven stress on the finger of the basket and on the clutch plate. In this case it caused both to fail.
This is precisely why I only use OEM parts in the modern sport bikes, and install them exactly as the service manual states. With the exact tolerances of a slipper clutch, everything has to be just right or else FAIL.
The first time it failed you probably had an OEM part that was out of spec or defective. It happens.
EBC aint bad for a lot of apps, but stick with OEM for the newer street bikes. My two cents.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Get a dragpack from Cycle Concepts. Better than OEM and will last longer too, oh and its cheaper:mrgreen::thumbsup:

803-285-8093

His name is Dwayne,
yep..:thumbsup:

Bikemaster, what's causing your problem is your wheelie technique...if you are clutching it to get it up in the wheelie, the clutch plates are "smacking" together extremely hard and the tq from the engine is stressing the clutch basket..also when you come down out of the wheelie, do you use the engine to slow the bike down or do you pull in the clutch and break it with front/rear brake...What you need is a billet basket and you will not break any more clutch baskets from doing wheelies...the oem's have tried to shed weight everywhere they can to get these bikes lighter every year and some areas such as the clutch basket and tranny gears are starting to show that they have gone alittle too far to save weight...

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
I do think that the shift rod could be a contribuating factor to what is or has happened to me.
Did they change ur Shift Rod?..My gear box is smooth and shifts very smoothly..actually better than my K6 1K.
But thats exactly what happened to me last nite..it got stuck in 3rd gear and it would not [email protected] all..i tried to open it up a bit but i got slipage in the clutch.
Honestly I don't know enough about motorcycle transmissions. Dealer did nothing about my problem just gave me some story. Wasn't all bs though. He did say if it was still giving me problems to come back but it didn't. I bought lightech rearsets because of my rebuild.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep..:thumbsup:

Bikemaster, what's causing your problem is your wheelie technique...if you are clutching it to get it up in the wheelie, the clutch plates are "smacking" together extremely hard and the tq from the engine is stressing the clutch basket..also when you come down out of the wheelie, do you use the engine to slow the bike down or do you pull in the clutch and break it with front/rear brake...What you need is a billet basket and you will not break any more clutch baskets from doing wheelies...the oem's have tried to shed weight everywhere they can to get these bikes lighter every year and some areas such as the clutch basket and tranny gears are starting to show that they have gone alittle too far to save weight...
Yes, i do clutch it up in 3rd or 4th gear and to answer ur question about bringing it down i reverse the throttle slowly to bring down smoothly. I do understand what your saying, but what im saying is i do own a K8 busa & a K6 Gixxer 1000 and a K2 1070cc bike and no matter what stress i give them, i have not had this problem, All my bikes i got them brand new and the K2 and K6 i only replaced the Clutches onces since ownership and both with EBC clutches only.
With this Bike 08 Zx10R i replaced it twice and it hasnt seen half of what my other bikes have seen (been thru)
I did think of the Billet but one its very expensive to buy and two, i want to know WHY it is happening or keeps happening.
If it is the Shift Rod that is causing this, it could be as our stealership is a waste of time he didnt to bother to tell me there might be a problem with it.
But i fail to understand why it is happening and how to prevent the problem.

·
Banned
333 Posts
After watching your videos, it's your wheelie technique. Fix to the problem, stop doing wheelies. Does that work? Your euro spec/Canada Spec bike has minimal differences. I've owned Kawi's since the late 90's and have NEVER damaged clutch plates on any of them up to 20k miles

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After watching your videos, it's your wheelie technique. Fix to the problem, stop doing wheelies. Does that work? Your euro spec/Canada Spec bike has minimal differences. I've owned Kawi's since the late 90's and have NEVER damaged clutch plates on any of them up to 20k miles
Bigcat, i get the feeling from you that you think im trying to pull the kawasaki down or something, im not new to Kawasaki, i owned 94 Zx9R, 96-Zx9R & a 98-Zx9R and stopped, since then this is my first Zx10R and i got it in 08.

And the wheelie part..are u saying the the Zx10 cant handle it? coz my other bikes can so whats the difference?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts