Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i HAVE A 04 ZX-10 AND WANTED TO LOWER THE FRONT BY RAISING THE FORKS THREW THE TRIPLE CLAMP BUT THE FORKS HAVE A WEIRD STEP DOWN IN THEM AND THEN COME BACK OUT TO NORMAL SIZE. IS THIS NORMAL FOR 1ST GEN CAUSE I SEE PEOPLE DO THIS BUT MAYBE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT FORKS.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
It's normal on the 1st gen and some other bikes.You'll have to get a lowering strap or have them lowered internally.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
... up to a point!! I have a funny feeling that the original poster wants to go out of bounds (for what the bike was originally designed for).

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I've had one of my 10's front lowered about 4 inches with no issues....put on about 8k miles. But other than that, I used it mainly for drag.

·
Registered
772 Posts
yeah i ran into this prob,my bike is low as phuck.i had them internally lowered and it still wasnt low enough :lol: i bought 38mm vortex clipons so they would grab the fork tube on the other end of the taper.they are a sumbitch to get started onto the tube but once you get em over the cartridge its gravy train with biscuit wheels.hope this helps....id suggest getting them done internally if your just gona drag race.i cant see why you would need it that low on the street

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
hey NinjeR i have my 05 lowered da same way with the front end strap when im at the track & i haven't had any issues either. oh and sharp bike man wat does she run ?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
hey NinjeR i have my 05 lowered da same way with the front end strap when im at the track & i haven't had any issues either. oh and sharp bike man wat does she run ?
I never tried lowering with straps, I just slide the tubes. She runs 11's =P

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have other pics that are lower, I'll find the pics later tonight
How did you do it? just go past the step down or did you have to put something in there. Seems like it would be almost to low if I went past the step down in the forks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have to say it does look good. Any issues setting it down out of a wheelie that low? and how low did you have to go in the back?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Have to say it does look good. Any issues setting it down out of a wheelie that low? and how low did you have to go in the back?
Only time the front wheel comes up is when I'm launching at the strip...can't say I have a huge problem with coming down. But then again, I'm worried about the race than listening for it to bottom out you know?

Rear was about 2.5 maybe 3 I think? Not sure what it is exactly cause I have my 6 hole lowering links.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
How did you do it? just go past the step down or did you have to put something in there. Seems like it would be almost to low if I went past the step down in the forks.
MAGIC duhh!!!! lol jk

Umm, the top clamp and lower clamp isn't clamped at the tapered area, only the clip ons are, and there's enough gap spacing on the clip on to have the clip on squeeze the tapered area.

I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't suggest doing what I did. I'm just showing that it could be done and street ridden for 8k miles and not have any issues with it being clamped on the tapered area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts