Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bit of an interesting adventure last trip out. Heading out to a friends house, stopped to get gas after the fuel light came on. I knew I was getting close to needing a fill up, no biggie. Until I went to unlock it...and it would not budge. At all! I used some graphite lube on the key hole to no avail. The key is bottoming out, but it just refuses to turn, and I know if I put any decent amount of pressure on it, it'll snap like a twig, and then I'll be really screwed. The key works in the ignition and unlocks my solo cowl perfectly, it is just the gas cap.

I made it to his house, but the bike is stuck there, as I ran for about 15 miles or so with the fuel light on to his house. I know I can't make it back home without running out of gas.

I know I can't even cheat and buy a non-locked gas cap, because even if I remove the allen bolts, wouldn't the lock still hold the original cap to the tank?

Has this happened to anyone else before? If so, what was your fix? I searched for a bit on this forum, without finding all that much. Am I using wrong key words, or what? I saw a couple guys with 3rd gens have had the problem, but the dealer wound up fixing them up. My baby is thirsty...but I can't give her any go-juice!! :crackup:

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
yeah,.I used to have that prob too man!.....keep laying the liquid graphite to it!...wiggle the key gently,.......once I got mine open,.........I regularly started to add lock graphite to it!..and ALWAYS.....put a peice of tape over the hole from now on when ya wash!!
Good luck

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
hey why dont you just add the red lock tight to your key right before you slide the key in hahaha:)

****DONT REALLY DO THIS!!!!**********

·
Registered
880 Posts
Will WD 40 do the trick? I usually spray some in the lock for my trailer when it doesn't want to work. After spraying it once, I'm good for a while...

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Yes WD 40 will work for a short time, but the graphite is much better...I suggest to keep applying the graphite and work the key while pressing down on the cap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i will NOT claim to be an expert in this at all but I would think that when you do get that thing open it would be a good idea pull it apart as far as you can (I did this when I had mine powdercoated) and clean the crap out of it. there are several parts that you can get to by doing this that could be hanging up that won't be touched if you just spray down the key whole.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my wifes katana.

I used PB Blaster penetrating lube, hosed it in there, and let it sit overnight. The next morning, I still couldn't get much movement, so I let it soak some more.

Eventually, I used the key, plus a small screwdriver to break it loose. I used the screwdriver as the main twisting force, as you mentioned, you do NOT want to break that key! Find something else to twist with beside the key. A small flat head worked fine for me.

After i got it loose, I took the whole cap off, and hosed down the internals liberally with the PB Blaster. Haven't had a problem since.

I have also heard that heat will sometimes help. Heating the key maybe, and if that doesn't work, take the tank off and put it someplace warm. Not sure if this works or not, just what I've heard.

Good luck. Don't break it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My buddy had the exact same problem with his vulcan. Like everyone else said, put some kind of lubricant in there, let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then work the key without putting too much force for a bit. Add more lubricant, let sit and work the key. And keep repeating. We did this about 4 or 5 times and finally it worked.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it. I'm not sure if the graphite lubed helped or not, but what eventually did the trick was "key fucking" the shit out of it. Yes, I did exactly like it sounds. I did that for like a minute straight, not even trying to turn it. Eventually it worked its way loose. I found out applying some WD 40 to the underside of the lock cap once it was open helped it tremendously to move. I sprayed around those little metal tabs that move in and out (That lock the cap in place). It seems the key slot itself was fine, it started functioning much easier after I sprayed the moving tabs.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had the same problem on my meanstreak, liquid wrench took care of the problem. The weird thing is that it looked like it had some corrosion around the keyhole and just happened 1 time in 7 yrs and hasn't happened since. I am still at a loss to what I got on it to cause it to happen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mine did that to ,at the gas station ,i bent the key a little , would not open , i used wd -40 every time it got wet .have not had any problems since

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
so i actually used the search button and LIQUID GRAPHITE IS THE SHIT....MY GAS CAP AND IGNITION WORK SO MUCH BETTER:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
had the same problem and patience and wd40 works but did anyone have this problem its happened me twice the breather hole under the filler cap blocks up and then after sum rain all the water ended under ther cap and when i opened the filler cap the water went in the tank not a lot but was enough to make the bike a pig to ride till i cleaned it all out and yes i reguarlly do clean the hole and vent pipe its never happened on any other bike i owned

·
Registered
226 Posts
i have had this problem oo, but mine it seemed was caused by the locking arms binding on the bottom of the cap plate. i found if i pushes down on the plate hard enough to compress the gasket the lock would function fine. once i got it open i cleaned the gasket and sprayed the arms a little with wd. it still sticks sometimes, so i just push the cap down when i open it always, so i dont risk bending the key. hope this helps

·
Registered
378 Posts
That happened on my 08 also when i got back from the NY trip!! My bike sat for a week when i went to get gas i couldn't open my gas tank. Hit A buddy's house near by and lubed it up its fine now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts